NFL thread

Perky1106

Being reported we are close to agreeing a new deal with Flacco, which is absolutely necessary. We have virtually no cap room, so to be able to resign anyone and sign any free agents it's desperately needed. His cap figure is something like $28m this year, which is just daft. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, AmericanRam said:

@Srg

Yeah Flacco is a pretty good qb imo and Ravens locking him up will be good.What do you think Ravens need to do in the draft?

Redskins trying to get something done with Cousins.Hopefully they do.Draft wise need help in secondary firstly imo.Free agency probably not much.

We could go in a lot of areas, but first round id expect pass rush or cornerback, depending on how the first 5 picks go. 

Ozzie Newsome is renkowned for going best player available, so I wouldn't be shocked if he did go for a lineman or something if one was to fall. 

14 hours ago, Srg said:

Agreed 3 year extension with Flacco... Lowers cap hit

It's a pretty big deal. Will be good for Ravens for this and next offseason, but also will have knock on effect in quarterback market (Rodgers and Luck stated as 2 set to benefit)

Do you still stand by Flacco as a QB to lead your team? I'm in a similar situ with Giants and Manning. Whilst I would rather have Manning over half the QBs in league at the minute, we need talent all over our roster, as Manning isn't the type to carry a team consistently. Draft and free agency will tell what kind of season we're going to have.

2 minutes ago, r4derby said:

It's a pretty big deal. Will be good for Ravens for this and next offseason, but also will have knock on effect in quarterback market (Rodgers and Luck stated as 2 set to benefit)

Do you still stand by Flacco as a QB to lead your team? I'm in a similar situ with Giants and Manning. Whilst I would rather have Manning over half the QBs in league at the minute, we need talent all over our roster, as Manning isn't the type to carry a team consistently. Draft and free agency will tell what kind of season we're going to have.

I do, because when he's good he's really good - I just don't think he really elevates skill position players with him. We desperately need some play makers, particularly on the outside. Hopefully Perriman turns out ok, but I have massive doubts about that.

Manning at least has OBJ. For as long as I've been following, we've had Torrey Smith, Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith snr and that is basically it as far as "named" receivers - and too of them are right at the end of their careers, and the other is a pure deep threat.

Oh surprised no-ones said anything about Manning retiring. The end of an era in a sense, the start of an end of an era in another (the first of the current 'old guard' of Elite QBs to go - Manning, Brady, Brees). Although I could see Brady and Brees playing longer than a couple of QBs younger than them. 

Calvin Johnson (Lions) has retired.

Kelechi Osemele (formally of Ravens) snapped up by Raiders.

Titans traded for DeMarco Murray from Eagles (terms unknown).

Dolphins traded for Maxwell, Alonso from Eagles (terms unknown).

Kelechi will have got some crazy $$$. He's very good, but we simply couldn't pay him and Marshall Yanda - who IMO is the best Guard in the entire league. The only way we were really keeping Kelechi would be to make him our Left Tackle, and to cut Eugene Monroe, but then, I'd bet he would be wanting good Tackle money.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Calvin Johnson (Lions) has retired.

Only the Detroit Lions can waste such talents as Barry Sanders (probably the greatest running back ever) & Calvin Johnson. They deserved better. 

I don't know what to think of the Chargers' free agency prospects. There's no positional group where we couldn't do with a signing, be that a desperate need for starters (O-Line, D-Line), a savvy veteran presence (linebackers), or a developmental project for when a veteran of our own retires (Tight End/Antonio Gates).

My targets would be Ian Williams/Damon Harrison/Nick Fairley, Donald Penn, Marvin Jones/Jermaine Kearse/Travis Benjamin, Dwayne Allen, Walter Thurmond/Tashaun Gipson and Chris Long/James Laurianitis. Pick one of Buckner, Bosa or Ramsey with the #3. We need some superstars on defense. 

8 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Oh surprised no-ones said anything about Manning retiring. The end of an era in a sense, the start of an end of an era in another (the first of the current 'old guard' of Elite QBs to go - Manning, Brady, Brees). Although I could see Brady and Brees playing longer than a couple of QBs younger than them. 

After only getting into the NFL the past few seasons I unfortunately never got to see Manning in his prime. When I lived in Indianapolis last year he was still treated like a god.

4 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

I don't know what to think of the Chargers' free agency prospects. There's no positional group where we couldn't do with a signing, be that a desperate need for starters (O-Line, D-Line), a savvy veteran presence (linebackers), or a developmental project for when a veteran of our own retires (Tight End/Antonio Gates).

My targets would be Ian Williams/Damon Harrison/Nick Fairley, Donald Penn, Marvin Jones/Jermaine Kearse/Travis Benjamin, Dwayne Allen, Walter Thurmond/Tashaun Gipson and Chris Long/James Laurianitis. Pick one of Buckner, Bosa or Ramsey with the #3. We need some superstars on defense. 

The Giants are in a similar position, especially on defence where you could bring in almost 8 starters. What I want to see is Jerry Reese go for quality over quantity this offseason. The past few seasons we've bought bulk without adding players of real quality. However, whenever we have that player has had an impact (see DRC at CB)

Would have liked to see Mario Williams come to New Jersey but there must be a reason he didn't get a big offer from us. 

36 minutes ago, r4derby said:

The Giants are in a similar position, especially on defence where you could bring in almost 8 starters. What I want to see is Jerry Reese go for quality over quantity this offseason. The past few seasons we've bought bulk without adding players of real quality. However, whenever we have that player has had an impact (see DRC at CB)

Would have liked to see Mario Williams come to New Jersey but there must be a reason he didn't get a big offer from us. 

Likewise, I'd prefer quality over quantity. I suppose the issue is that there isn't that much obvious quality on the market this year. Last year there was Suh, Murray, Julius Thomas. This time out the best obvious guy was Malik Jackson and he's already seemingly been snapped up by the Jaguars.

Above all I do not want us to overpay for somebody mediocre. We have plenty of mediocre players already. If we can retain Barksdale (which we have), Gates, Patrick Robinson and a few others, sign four or five very solid starters and then pick quality at 3 and 34 then this will have been a successful offseason.

Your Ravens are taking big Ben Watson from my Saints, @Srg - not all that bothered about that myself. Happy for him that he's turned his first good year into a pretty nice pay cheque. 

Although other than Cooks and Hill we're now very much running out of recievers/TEs who can actually catch - based on previous evidence.

8 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Your Ravens are taking big Ben Watson from my Saints, @Srg - not all that bothered about that myself. Happy for him that he's turned his first good year into a pretty nice pay cheque. 

Although other than Cooks and Hill we're now very much running out of recievers/TEs who can actually catch - based on previous evidence.

He'll take a decent role for a bit and provide veteran leadership, which we needed, for a small price.

We have some good tight ends but they've all been injured or suspended. Crockett Gilmore is good but has had torn labrum in both shoulders, Nick Boyle is suspended 10 games... leaving just Maxx Williams who is only going into his sophomore year, but should have a great career. Not sure what is happening with Dennis Pitta either, wouldn't be shocked to see him cut with a post June 1st designation.

Archived