England cricket tour of New Zealand 2013

Curtains

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game needs characters, I love Monty's antics!

Lets not forget he's an amazing bowler too, but for the emergence of Swann he'd have a fair few more international wickets to his name too.

Monty's a great bowler but his poor fielding and batting sets him apart from the rest of the team, and this isn't always good for morale. There has been a lot of talk on the radio about Tredwell coming into the side should Swann be unavailable. He's not as great a threat wicket-wise but he's a canny operator, can hold an end up and can catch.

Monty's a great bowler but his poor fielding and batting sets him apart from the rest of the team, and this isn't always good for morale. There has been a lot of talk on the radio about Tredwell coming into the side should Swann be unavailable. He's not as great a threat wicket-wise but he's a canny operator, can hold an end up and can catch.

Fair points, his fielding has improved a lot though, and although his batting is unorthadox at times, let's not forget the ashes in Cardiff where he helped us get a draw. I get a bit frustrated with England at times in this regard, we have enough batting in the side (if they all do their jobs properly) for it not to really matter that Monty can't bat so well.

I think he deserves to be in the side ahead of Tredwell personally, he just adds something a bit different in all aspects

I'd be inclined to pick Monty every single time England play on the Indian subcontinent or in the West Indies, but those are really the only venues where England would always be guaranteed to pick two spinners. Swann is England's (and the World's) No 1 twirly, and will remain so whenever he is fit. That's tough on Panesar, because in conditions that suit him, he is a match-winner. In conditions that don't though, he's a bit of a luxury.  

I'd be inclined to pick Monty every single time England play on the Indian subcontinent or in the West Indies, but those are really the only venues where England would always be guaranteed to pick two spinners. Swann is England's (and the World's) No 1 twirly, and will remain so whenever he is fit. That's tough on Panesar, because in conditions that suit him, he is a match-winner. In conditions that don't though, he's a bit of a luxury.  

I loved his comedy dive though. Sign him up for Tom Daleys next series of celebrity divers , along with Gareth BAle of course .

Archived