Much more potent strike force this season LOL

Curtains

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt Bennett is the answer, he isn't very quick.

Plus he needs game time.

Sammon Martin Russell Ward is the best strike force I can remember. I keep saying it but I think Martin will surprise many fans this season as to how good he is.

Also we won't be reliant upon 1 striker to score all the goals.

Really think the strike force is loads better with Wardy , Martin, Johnny boy and Sammon. Looks alot more exciting. Wardy being fit will be a massive bonus.

Lets hope Wardy can stay fit!

You're banking on two things with Ward - his fitness and the fact he may find himself quite a lot on the left hand side. I wouldn't at this stage necessarily count on him playing as a striker. We were told last season he'd be played up front, and he was for a bit, but latterly found himself out wide. 

I'd say we have three strikers, 2 of whom we know all about and one we don't. 

'Loads' better? Not sure yet. My hope is Russell plays higher up the pitch than Ward or Martin, which will give Sammon better support and then yes, we should be more potent.

Still lacking in pace without Theo and Tyson as an option. I guess that Nigel thinks Bennett is the answer

Not sure i agree now we have Russell. He is very quick. I think we more lack pace out wide, but we lack wingers in general.

A lot lies with Martin.

He can be a good player to have 20-30 yards out. He's got neat feet and he's quite reliable outlet if you pass to his feet.

Obviously he wasn't in an ideal condition towards the end last season. The more he played the worse he looked.

I don't really like the qualities Pride Park values. If somebody doesn't run around enough then they're "lazy". But I don't think Martin is or will be lazy. He just wants the ball at his feet. That's exactly where it should be. You wouldn't want 11 Martins but with just one I think his ability and usefulness on the ball can far outweigh the chasing shadows.

Just needs match sharpness.

He could be a decent link to goals

I like the fact we have 'horses for courses'.... depending on who we play NC can (hopefully) select a strike force that will give them problems, whether its e.g. Martin, Russell,Ward, 4-3-3 or Sammon,Russell 4-4-2.... whatever, there are options for once....

Shot Accuracy 12/13
     Player            ON    OFF    HW    Total    % ON   

1. Chris Martin      17     6      0      23     73.9       
  2. Theo Robinson     31     17     1      48     64.5   
  3. Mason Bennett      5      3     0       8     62.5   
  4. Jamie Ward        41     25     2      66     62.1      
  5. Nathan Tyson      11      7     0      18     61.1     
  6. Conor Sammon      34     28     1      62     54.8

Conversion Rate 12/13

Player                  Attempts   Goals  Attempts per goal

1. Nathan Tyson      18        5         3.6
  2. Theo Robinson     48        9         5.3
  3. Jamie Ward        66       12         5.5
  4. Conor Sammon      62        9         6.9
  5. Mason Bennett      8        1         8.0
  6. Chris Martin      23        2         11.5

Full table: Here

Its interesting to see how Tyson put away 5 goals with just 11 shots on target and
our two transfer-listed strikers are the best at beating the keeper!
Chris Martin seems to be good at getting it goal bound without enough on it...

You sure about that? He's always looked very quick to me. I remember them saying he could outsprint the whole first team when he first broke into the squad

A striker just needs to be quick over 1 yard.

Archived