Big up to the man with a face like an arse!

Mostyn6

Generally not a fan of Steve Bruce, and in spite of his record as manager at Championship level, I'd genuinely rather keep Nigel Clough as manager....BUT, just want to say a big "thanks bud" to Mr Bruce.

I think the timing of Hull City's bid for Gary Hooper is brilliant. I think, although we don't know for sure, that had the handsome geordie resembling a potato put his bid in for Hooper a week ago, Derby may have found it a lot harder to sign Johnny Russell.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Generally not a fan of Steve Bruce, and in spite of his record as manager at Championship level, I'd genuinely rather keep Nigel Clough as manager....BUT, just want to say a big "thanks bud" to Mr Bruce.

I think the timing of Hull City's bid for Gary Hooper is brilliant. I think, although we don't know for sure, that had the handsome geordie resembling a potato put his bid in for Hooper a week ago, Derby may have found it a lot harder to sign Johnny Russell.

You'd rather keep a manager who has lost more games than he's won in 5 consecutive NPC seasons in comparison to someone with 3 NPC promotions to his name as well as 5 top 13 PL finishes with Brum, Sunderland and Wigan?

Why would you rather have NC than Steve Bruce?

Don't get me wrong, SB is hardly reknown for playing champagne football but his record is miles better than NC's.

You'd rather keep a manager who has lost more games than he's won in 5 consecutive NPC seasons in comparison to someone with 3 NPC promotions to his name as well as 5 top 13 PL finishes with Brum, Sunderland and Wigan?

Don't get me wrong, SB is hardly reknown for playing champagne football but his record is miles better than NC's.

Aye, but it's not all about pure instant success, otherwise we'd all be living in foreign countries, happy seeing Barcelona play more often than Derby.  :p 

But look, over the years we have seen the 3 amigos come and go, we have seen the club sold for £3, and we have seen a disastrous premier league campaign. And at the end of all that, there was nothing left. Nothing in place for the future. Time after time we went through short term plans. George Burley- 2 seasons. Phil Brown- 9 months. Billy Davies- 18 months. They all achieved as much as each other, you can argue that Burley played some nice football, but what of it? Davie got us promoted, what of that???

In Nigel's case, yes, the emotional string of the surname means a lot to some people, the connection, the passion, the unfinished business (etc. etc. etc.) perhaps all play their part. But you can't deny the fact that since he's been here he has done the important stuff 'right'. He's built from the bottom upwards, transforming the academy and through that, given Derby a bright future. That all in itself is something that has been lacking at Derby for years, with one owner to another, forever changing along with the manager. Nigel is a long-term manager, we saw that at Burton, we're seeing that here. That is something that I've hardly seen with Bruce. They both started their managerial careers in 98, Clough has been at 2 clubs in that time, Bruce 8. Now don't get me wrong, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, as Bruce has the experience. He's managed at different levels including the premier league, with many different players and various different clubs. He's brought promotion, but where are those clubs now???

So maybe it's just the stability and longevity that people seem keen on, and maybe it’s just an illusion that if we have that then we’ll get success. But we’re not going down, and if we do go up, we’ve got a structure in place that will benefit us whatever the outcome.

Agreed, 100%

that being said I would still rather have Nigel Clough. 

As you have proven (IMO) most managers in this league have a better record than NC, but it's not about that. Gary Megson has a great record, I wouldn't want him here. Iain Dowie has a decent record, Aidy Boothroyd! etc etc etc

I think Bruce has the curse, similar to Billy Davies and Harry Redknapp, that when he leaves, the club instantly requires upheaval.

Since when has 'top13' been a known achievement anyway?

If NC got Derby promoted and then 5 top 13 PL finishes people would put him in the Arthur Cox bracket..

It's not an amazxing achievement, but staying away from relegation where the likes of Martinez failed isn't bad at all... It's not like he fluked promotion and came crasing back down instantly.. He proved he can cut it at the PL

If NC got Derby promoted and then 5 top 13 PL finishes people would put him in the Arthur Cox bracket..

It's not an amazxing achievement, but staying away from relegation where the likes of Martinez failed isn't bad at all... It's not like he fluked promotion and came crasing back down instantly.. He proved he can cut it at the PL

I don't disagree, but he spent some good money.

Archived