possible Messi 6 year jail sentence (cor! blimey!)

SuperSheep

Barcelona footballer Lionel Messi and his father are being investigated in Spain for allegedly defrauding the state of more than 4m euros (£3.4m).

The 25-year-old Argentina forward and his father, Jorge Horacio, are suspected of filing fraudulent tax returns for 2007-09, officials say.

The World Player of the Year denied the allegation.

His net annual salary at Barcelona is said to be 16m euros, making him one of the world's highest-paid athletes.

He has also signed a number of multimillion-dollar endorsements with major sponsors around the globe.

On Wednesday, a complaint signed by prosecutor Raquel Amado was filed at the courthouse in Gava - the affluent Barcelona district where Messi lives.

Judges at the courthouse must accept the complaint before the suspects can be charged, reports say.

Messi and his father are suspected of using companies abroad - in Belize and Uruguay - to sell the rights to use the footballer's image.

The accusation is that by using companies based outside Spain, where he lives and plays club football, Messi and his father avoided paying more than 4m euros in tax.

If convicted, Messi could face up to six years in prison and a large fine, according to Spain's EFE news agency.

Responding to the allegation, Messi expressed surprise at Wednesday's development.

He wrote on his Facebook page: "We have never committed any infringement. We have always fulfilled all our tax obligations, following the advices of our tax consultants who will take care of clarifying this situation."

The investigation comes as the Spanish authorities step up their efforts to clamp down on tax fraud, as the government tries to balance its budget during a continuing economic crisis, the BBC's Tom Burridge in Madrid reports

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmmm, not sure anyone could really be that greedy when he earns as much as he does, it doesn't make sense to me. He has it all, why risk it?

Can't really say I'm convinced.

Messi playing in La Liga is probably worth more to the Spanish economy than the money he's allegedly kept from Señor Taxman.

But obviously this is serious stuff.

With my mod hat on, can we please remember these are only alleged allegations, so be careful what you say, Messi's gonna be having his lawyers checking all the forums from the Championship.

I just read this..

Doesn't really make alot of sense.. Unless his accountants have done something dodgy..

Afterall I'm pretty sure everyone is well connected in what he earns. And I'm pretty sure Messi doesn't sit around doing the paperwork and trying to fiddle the accounts..

He's a genius but he's not that good.

Archived