RIP Ernie Hallam

Woodypecker

Mr Ernie Hallam has passed away, aged 97:

There is a short dedication to Ernie on the DET pages and a tribute to follow tomorrow.

Ernie was a great ambassador for the Rams and for many years, co-ordinated the 'Ramaway' away train.

As he was supporter liaison officer for DCFC between 1968 & 1975 - some 27 years - should we have a 27th-minute 'round of appreciation' clapping, at the first home League game of the season, to acknowledge Ernie's wonderful contribution to the club?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIP Ernie, shared many a coach trip with him in the early 90's, we used to wind him up a bit but no harm meant.

Sad news, part of the fabric of the club since I started going.

Good innings though.

RIP Ernie, shared many a coach trip with him in the early 90's, we used to wind him up a bit but no harm meant.

Sad news, part of the fabric of the club since I started going.

Good innings though.

Haha, we were winding the old bugger up in the 70's!

Derby County through and through even though his patience was sorely tested at times by an unruly bunch of beggars  :rolleyes:

RIP Ernie and thanks for the work you put in for the club and the fans.

I remember getting to Bristol City on the road rider for around half five one year.

We were all stuck outside the ground whilst Ernie buggered off into the corporate hospitality suite!

Had many good trips away in those days...

When I started the Derby County quiz (The Donington Trophy) back in the mid 1970's, Ernie used to come along to most of the quizzes and either act as scorer or timekeeper for me. When we reached the semi-final and final stages we also used to rope in Jock Smith from Radio Derby (and BBC2's The Great Egg Race) to help out too. After 1984 when work commitments (working abroad etc) were such that I had to give up running the quiz nights, Ernie went to the trouble of setting the questions, running the quiz evenings, the lot.

RIP Ernie. You were a great friend. 

A Derby County fan who did not miss a home match for more than 80 years has died.

Ernie Hallam, who was known as "Mr Ramaway", was appointed supporters' liaison officer by Brian Clough because of his devotion to the Rams.

He saw every Derby competitive game in England and Europe, including reserve matches, for almost 40 years.

Over his lifetime, his family believe he watched the Rams play more than 5,000 times.

Mr Hallam was born into a family his son, Neil, described as "grindingly poor" in Pilsley.

'Lifelong passion'

He began working at the village pit as a 14-year-old.

In 1928 he went to stay with relatives in Derby and saw the Rams beat Blackburn Rovers 5-1 and Sheffield Wednesday 6-0.

"Football became his lifelong passion," said Neil Hallam. "He moved to Derby and, when he married my mother, they bought a house a few minutes from the ground."

Mr Hallam became increasingly involved with the club until, in 1967, Brian Clough asked him to organise the increasingly popular away trips.

"From then on, he went on all the away trips until he was nearly 90," Mr Hallam's son said.

"He became known for climbing on to the charter trains carrying an enormous suitcase containing badges and scarves, which he sold on

'A real gentleman'

Mr Hallam became close to several managers, including Clough and Arthur Cox.

He was chosen to receive a lifetime clubman award from Brian Clough on the day he returned to the Baseball Ground as manager of Nottingham Forest. The clubs hoped the ceremony would ease tensions between rival fans.

He was present when The Queen opened Pride Park in 1997, breaking with protocol to approach her and say: "Lovely day for it, Ma'am."

He was briefly dropped from his hospitality role in 2003, when the club's directors appointed young women to be the official sponsorship hosts, but was reinstated following a supporters' campaign. He worked for the club until he was in his 90s.

Former chairman Peter Gadsby said: "Ernie had the run of the Baseball Ground. He was in the dressing room, in the manager's office and very respected managers had a lot of time for him.

"He was dapper and smart - a real gentleman."

Archived