Callum Ball

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed Needles, another example is Rickie Lambert.

Lambert doesn't have pace but does have the technical ability and has developed his physicality (something it has long been said Ball needs to work on, imposing himself more). He can strike the ball very well (as can Ball), score free kicks (I'm sure I remember Ball scoring a few for the reserves/youth) and is a natural finisher.

Lambert only really broke through and started achieving his potential at around 23/24 and that was by playing in Division 3 (League Two) and Division 2 (League One) for a few years (thus develping the physicality). His first truly high scoring season at League One level was when he was 25/26 and he hasn't looked back since.

This isn't to say that Ball will be anywhere near as good as Lambert (he just seems too... awkward?), but he is still only 20 (for a few more months).

People banging on about how big and strong he is. He's not that strong at all, and he's certainly not quick. Gets pushed off the ball too easily by other defenders, and a channel ferry can turn round quicker than what he can.

If he can't cut it in an average league 1 team, what hope do we have of him trying to cut it in a team that is aiming for the top 6 next season?

His goal against West Ham was nice, but a swallow doesn't make a o summer.

People banging on about how big and strong he is. He's not that strong at all, and he's certainly not quick. Gets pushed off the ball too easily by other defenders, and a channel ferry can turn round quicker than what he can.

If he can't cut it in an average league 1 team, what hope do we have of him trying to cut it in a team that is aiming for the top 6 next season?

His goal against West Ham was nice, but a swallow doesn't make a o summer.

Craig Forsyth couldn't cut it at a League 2 team and we're just about to buy him! :lol:

Why don't we write off everyone who's not a regular first-teamer at his age, eh?

He's nearly 21, and played 15 league games for Coventry last season and failed to score on a single occasion, if you were in charge of the first-team would that warrant another contract? Bennett is 5 years younger than him and looks far the better player, I can't see the point in holding onto him, we're not doing him any favours in playing him in under 21 games, he'd be better leaving now and joining a lower league team and playing more regularly. Giving him a season in the under 21's next season would see him being nearly 22 at the end of the season - and his career will take a bigger turn downhill. 

He's nearly 21, and played 15 league games for Coventry last season and failed to score on a single occasion, if you were in charge of the first-team would that warrant another contract? Bennett is 5 years younger than him and looks far the better player, I can't see the point in holding onto him, we're not doing him any favours in playing him in under 21 games, he'd be better leaving now and joining a lower league team and playing more regularly. Giving him a season in the under 21's next season would see him being nearly 22 at the end of the season - and his career will take a bigger turn downhill.

played 21 in all comps(10 starts) and scored 3. Was injured a while too.

Coventry have had several managers, finished bottom half and been in financial turmoil. Hardly fair to criticise Ball for not tearing it up there.

I see what you're saying here but players develop at different rates and the other side of the coin is that a successful season with the development squad under the careful watch of our coaches could improve his development and confidence more than sending a kid out on loan again for another season for him to have another sketchy season.

As others have said Ball is not quick so will be more reliant on a sound technique, decent movement and good positioning. The type of player he is may not see him peak til he's in his late twenties so he's worth giving another season to see if he can get his confidence back...

I see what you're saying here but players develop at different rates and the other side of the coin is that a successful season with the development squad under the careful watch of our coaches could improve his development and confidence more than sending a kid out on loan again for another season for him to have another sketchy season.

As others have said Ball is not quick so will be more reliant on a sound technique, decent movement and good positioning. The type of player he is may not see him peak til he's in his late twenties so he's worth giving another season to see if he can get his confidence back...

So what do you suggest doing? Holding onto a player until his late twenties in a hope that he does turn into the next Grant Holt? You're correct in that due to his immobility, that he will have to have a good touch but he simply doesn't - you can't teach a player that, especially not at the age of 20! 

I will happily have a bet with anyone - name your wager that he will never score 20 league goals in a season in his career at championship level.

So what do you suggest doing? Holding onto a player until his late twenties in a hope that he does turn into the next Grant Holt? You're correct in that due to his immobility, that he will have to have a good touch but he simply doesn't - you can't teach a player that, especially not at the age of 20! 

I will happily have a bet with anyone - name your wager that he will never score 20 league goals in a season in his career at championship level.

There are an awfully big number of highly rated strikers who won't. It's a bit of a ridiculous bet really because over the last 12 years, 20 goals in a championship season has been achieved just 42 times.

If you read what I put, I said I think he'd be better off back with us for a year just to see whether he can regain some confidence and work on his fitness and game. I'm not suggesting we keep hold of him forever but to think that he's the finished article and won't improve further at 20 is pretty nearsighted and unrealistic.

He's probably costing us very little in wages, it's clear his loan spell didn't really go to plan (not really his fault, Coventry changed managers soon into his stay, he got injured and it was his first proper taste of life away from his Derby bubble). Therefore, why not give the lad a chance to show us what he can do in familiar surroundings for the first part of the season, if he gets his mojo back you never know he might get some first team opportunities or he might be better set to go out on loan again for the second half of the season.

I don't think I ever claimed he was going to be the next RVP but given the situation I don't see that keeping him for an extra year at this stage of his career to help him find his feet and confidence again is going to do him or us much harm.

Some of the negative comments about him on here are laughable to be honest.

why? From what I've seen of him he's slow, immobile and unintelligent as a footballer. A great finisher, no doubt about that but he's got barely anything else to his game. I'm not bothered wether he's young, our young players have been given first team chances and Ball didnt take his nor did he at Coventry. I personally don't think he's got enough determination to improve enough to get into our first team in the future either.. It's all opinions mind and I'd love mine to be wrong about him in the future.

Archived