Callum Ball

Yes probably, that could be the one and only.

It definitely didn't happen when he played for us.

Oh, he had a 3 minute blinder in the League Cup semi-final against Man Utd. He kicked Ronaldo right in the Ferraris a couple of times.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no idea whether Callum Ball will make it at any level - the point I was making was that some players develop later than others. Tony Book was almost 30 before he made his league debut, having bumbled around the Southern League for a decade. To write anyone off when they are barely out of their teens is (in my opinion) premature.

I hope he proves me wrong, but a player that just broke into the first team and then shows up for pre-season training overweight, for me, lacks the application to really make it.

For a big lad, he seems to lack that hunger to make it at the top level...

Seems plenty on here have written off Conor Doyle at a similar age - I am still waiting to pass judgement when I see him play in his preferred position...

I hope he proves me wrong, but a player that just broke into the first team and then shows up for pre-season training overweight, for me, lacks the application to really make it.

Seems plenty on here have written off Conor Doyle at a similar age - I am still waiting to pass judgement when I see him play in his preferred position...

Didn't KC turn up overweight too? It really is an (apparent) lack of professionalism. Perhaps in Ball's instance, being shipped out on loan and then failing might make him take a good long look at himself.

I totally agree re Doyle. I have seen him play about 30 minutes in a year and a half, and don't feel qualified to pass any kind of judgement. I don't judge players anyway - I just support them when they pull the shirt on.

I expected Ball to kick-on last year when he went out to Cov and thought the loan was the perfect scenario for him. It cant have helped with all of the turmoil at Cov and the fact that they were not performing on the pitch in the early part of the season. Once things take a nosedive managers generally tend to abandon youth in favour of experience. The change of manager probably didnt do him any favours either.

It seems that his weight and condition is something that he is going to have to learn how to manage. You have to remember his age and that he is still developing physically. Once a player gets in to his 20's his phyique has generally stabalised and he knows what he has to do in close season to manage his condition and has gone through a few preseasons understanding his own body and what he has to do to be prepared for the big kick-off. I still think we need to cut him a bit of slack and leave the jury out for a little longer yet. Wayne Rooney is notorious for coming back from close season in a less than nubile condition and struggles to manage his weight so sure Ball deserves a bit of grace for now.

I for one would love to see him succeed and bang a few goals in. Getting satisfaction from seeing players come through the ranks and make a name for themselves is probably going to have to be our substitute for winning trophies for the foreseeable :)

Didn't KC turn up overweight too? It really is an (apparent) lack of professionalism. Perhaps in Ball's instance, being shipped out on loan and then failing might make him take a good long look at himself.

I totally agree re Doyle. I have seen him play about 30 minutes in a year and a half, and don't feel qualified to pass any kind of judgement. I don't judge players anyway - I just support them when they pull the shirt on.

When they are paid the amount they are, they should be looking after themselves and really keeping their fitness levels up. KC will never be a great player solely because he's not prepared to get himself in peak shape.

Don't get me wrong - I will never boo a player as I want the best for the team and that is counter productive, however I do feel I am allowed to question on a forum whether a player will deliver enough quality for my team. (Admittedly, maybe not as vociferously as in this case.)

I have always been satisfied with the Connor Sammons and Darryl Powells mainly because they as players give everything they can to the team and they add to the collective whole of the side...

If Doyle was highly rated he'd have been given an extended run in the first team and Nigel is a manager who gives youth a chance, I don't know the reason why he keeps getting year long extensions but he must be done something right in training or the reserve teams, but NC last year said the previous season would be make or break for him.

If Doyle was highly rated he'd have been given an extended run in the first team and Nigel is a manager who gives youth a chance, I don't know the reason why he keeps getting year long extensions but he must be done something right in training or the reserve teams, but NC last year said the previous season would be make or break for him.

My guess is that he is being 'sponsored' or 'encouraged' by the board in the hope that he makes it - which will raise his own profile and that of the club 'back home'. I very much doubt whether he is contributing significantly to the wage bill - and at the end of the day, it's their money and they can do what they want with it.

Archived