Cost of Crystal Palace starting 11

McMuffin

Maybe I misread your question, when I quoted it, I thought it was only one line and very easy to follow. I'm a bummer and a groupie though so maybe I was busy doing something else while I should have been reading more carefully.

I thought you asked Who Crystal Palace have had on loan. Did I get it wrong?

Find me the quote where you asked who we had loaned. If you asked I would have answered.

It was YOUR question, not mine.

Yeah but I want questioning the loan system I didn't even mention the word loan until you made out that palace had an advantage over 1 yes 1 loan signing(the same player they only just stayed up with the previous year) and we had at least 2 loan players last year.

That is all I was getting at

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah but I want questioning the loan system I didn't even mention the word loan until you made out that palace had an advantage over 1 yes 1 loan signing(the same player they only just stayed up with the previous year) and we had at least 2 loan players last year.

That is all I was getting at

read the thread and tell me at what point I made out they'd had a massive advantage?

Was that before or after your question? Who have Crystal Palace had on loan.

Will you also answer the question I asked, in your honest opinion who was the first person to link your question to the performance of Clough.

Was it me? 

Palace finished 11 points clear of us, and if you think back to the home game where they got the luckiest break for their goal and we missed a peno, it could have been 5 with a modicum of luck on that day alone.

The margins are so fine.

Every year a team or two underperform, and every year a surprise package or two have a good go. We're in there punching, but so are 23 other sides; we can't say, oh, such and such a club did this, we must have crap manager/players/board because we didn't. That's not the way it works.

One year soon, it'll be us with the bit of luck and the momentum who get promoted. Then will Nigel be a crap manager who got lucky, or a super-genius? Neither, he'll be what he is now, a proficient manager working hard to accumulate small improvements individually and collectively.

If it's not happening quickly enough for you, you could persuade the owners to sack him, and employ a new manager every 6 months, maybe even spoff loads of cash at one. Eventually you'll get a promotion side together, but it'll cost and there's nothing to suggest that it'd be any quicker on average than sticking with Clough.

Moaning about him is pathetically short sighted for me. The constant background whine of  "I want it NOW" tantrum that pervades this site, and most of the others is sickening. I'm getting to the stage where I'm almost as keen for us to get promoted to shut the whingers up as anything else.

And Zaha didn't single handedly get palace up by the way.

Infact bar the last 2 playoff matches he wasn't on very good form at all since January.

True, but like most of the top six they were faltering a lot in the final third of the season - other teams not taking advantage of this kept them in the playoffs.

I don't actually rate Zaha that highly, he blows hot and cold, but once they were in the playoffs by far the biggest thing that separated them from either Brighton or Watford was Zaha - that surely is an undeniable fact.  It's also worth noting though that they kept a clean sheet in all 3 of their play-off fixtures, and if you do that you're always in with a chance.

As for Holloway, he joined Palace at exactly the right time, it was a very shrewd move on his part - he knew Blackpool were in decline and jumped ship the moment an opportunity arose, he landed on his feet and neither he nor Palace looked back.

Palace finished 11 points clear of us, and if you think back to the home game where they got the luckiest break for their goal and we missed a peno, it could have been 5 with a modicum of luck on that day alone.

The margins are so fine.

Every year a team or two underperform, and every year a surprise package or two have a good go. We're in there punching, but so are 23 other sides; we can't say, oh, such and such a club did this, we must have crap manager/players/board because we didn't. That's not the way it works.

One year soon, it'll be us with the bit of luck and the momentum who get promoted. Then will Nigel be a crap manager who got lucky, or a super-genius? Neither, he'll be what he is now, a proficient manager working hard to accumulate small improvements individually and collectively.

If it's not happening quickly enough for you, you could persuade the owners to sack him, and employ a new manager every 6 months, maybe even spoff loads of cash at one. Eventually you'll get a promotion side together, but it'll cost and there's nothing to suggest that it'd be any quicker on average than sticking with Clough.

Moaning about him is pathetically short sighted for me. The constant background whine of  "I want it NOW" tantrum that pervades this site, and most of the others is sickening. I'm getting to the stage where I'm almost as keen for us to get promoted to shut the whingers up as anything else.

Good post Needles!

What concerns me is if we go up, sack a good manager and then beat our own points record in going back down again, supposedly having made money in the process but never seeing any sign of cash for players.

Sounds familiar?

Good post Needles!

What concerns me is if we go up, sack a good manager and then beat our own points record in going back down again, supposedly having made money in the process but never seeing any sign of cash for players.

Sounds familiar?

I've only seen derby promoted once, and I never want to witness it again :D

I've only seen derby promoted once, and I never want to witness it again :D

dont worry, I dont think you will ;)

No I'm just bored of bickering with you

Bored of bickering?

You made several points in that thread. Some accusations even.

And now you don't have the balls or the decency to answer?

I'll settle for that meaning you're out of your depth and talking about a topic you don't really know where you're coming from,

Hi all, to add a bit of texture to this debate if I can, coming from someone who follows Palace closely due to a family connection, has seen them a few times this season and went to Wembley on Monday.

Yes, they've had a great season and have never been out of the top 6. They deserved to go up in my opinion.

Two things happened this season that changed them from being mid table the previous one. One was the purchase of Yannick Bolasie for around £200k from Bristol City last summer, a winger who plays the opposite side to Zaha and who gave them great balance, the other was that they found the perfect system to feed Glen Murray, who from scoring seven goals the previous season topped 30 this. 

Freedman took two to three years to build a side in a style he wanted - back four, two sitting in front, two wingers, striker playing off the main striker. Holloway continued that system. It is a system they have stuck with regardless of results.

The cost of individual players is relevant but as Palace have shown, more so is finding the players to fit into the system that works for you. 

I think you're a fraud. I don't think you're here to talk football at all. I think you're here to cause trouble. I don't like it.

I also don't mind if we never "converse" again but if you make crap up I WILL respond.

Off course anyone who questions Clough is only here to cause trouble ok.

You and only you had stooped to the level of handing out personal insults so please get off your high horse and drop this yeah.

Off course anyone who questions Clough is only here to cause trouble ok.

You and only you had stooped to the level of handing out personal insults so please get off your high horse and drop this yeah.

Drop what McMuffin.

Drop asking you to back up the claims that you make?

Drop asking you how it's the "clough bummers" who have turned this into an argumentative thread?

Drop asking you to make sure of what you're saying by re-reading the thread?

Drop asking you to back up what Holloway has done since arriving in January?

Or Drop proving the fact that you have made some ridiculous points, made yourself look quite foolish and then got defensive when someone has questioned your knowledge. Exactly the same as yesterday evening.

If you don't want your views ripped apart you've got a couple of options.

1) don't post stupid, made up views

2) Don't post questions and then not want the answers.

remember that everything I have written in this thread is as a direct response to what you wrote. I haven't made anything up.

Personal insults? Give over.

Archived