The first time Rams have finished 10th in any league since 1897!

admira

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, but Biley and Swindlehurst didn't transform anything - they were our strike-force in 1980 when we went down. Biley stayed a season, Swindlehurst for 2 and a half and left before we tumbled into the third (remember Peter Taylor with 'my mum could keep this lot up'?)

If they transformed us, then all I can say is "We'll be back in '81".

we played some great stuff with biley and swindlehurst.....they werent the reason we went down.

in fact we were unbeaten at home for the last 7 games with 5 wins

prior to their partnership we took 2 points from 11 games

we played some great stuff with biley and swindlehurst.....they werent the reason we went down.

I loved Biley and Swindlehurst but the team was vvank.

can you imagine those who don't rate Nige coping with Colin Murphy, Tommy Docherty, Colin Addison and John Newman?

I loved Biley and Swindlehurst but the team was vvank.

agreed.........and so did i

i still think they are one of the best striking partnerships we've had

(since the glory days of course)

agreed.........and so did i

i still think they are one of the best striking partnerships we've had

(since the glory days of course)

I love you, your me best mate you are.....fck em all, me and you mate..............love you kid.......hic!

What I would like people's opinion on it how come we score so freely and home and concede relatively fewer goals compared to our away record?

I think it has a lot to do with confidence issues away from home and the fact that away from home our soft defence becomes much more apparent. If you're conceding most games, that is generally going to make away games difficult.

I know - but the only transformation they were responsible for was turning us from an awful team to an awful team that could score a few. You can have an exceptional forward line - but on its own that won't ensure a good league position if the rest of the side is letting you down. That side, IIRC, had the awful Keith Osgood and Aiden McCaffrey in defence and the utterly dreadful Steve Cherry in goal. Even though by and large we had a decent side on paper (Gerry Daly, Steve Powell, McFarland, Langan, Bucko etc), Colin Addison never managed to get them playing to anything like their full potential.

We were all so optimistic that we would rip Division 2 to pieces the following season (hence "We'll be back in '81") - but what a rude awakening we got at Cambridge.

I know - but the only transformation they were responsible for was turning us from an awful team to an awful team that could score a few. You can have an exceptional forward line - but on its own that won't ensure a good league position if the rest of the side is letting you down. That side, IIRC, had the awful Keith Osgood and Aiden McCaffrey in defence and the utterly dreadful Steve Cherry in goal. Even though by and large we had a decent side on paper (Gerry Daly, Steve Powell, McFarland, Langan, Bucko etc), Colin Addison never managed to get them playing to anything like their full potential.

We were all so optimistic that we would rip Division 2 to pieces the following season (hence "We'll be back in '81") - but what a rude awakening we got at Cambridge.

We did get a rude awakening, but once we sold Langan we were fkd.

.....but i still liked Biley and Swindlehurst,

Put them in our current team and we would be a contender.

We did get a rude awakening, but once we sold Langan we were fkd.

.....but i still liked Biley and Swindlehurst,

Put them in our current team and we would be a contender.

Goals isn't our problem - then or now.

Put McFarland in our team now (even the 1980 version who was a pale shadow of the majestic 1972 version) and we would be a contender. He was that good - not just as a centre-half but as an organiser. He learned so much from Dave Mackay.

Goals isn't our problem - then or now.

Put McFarland in our team now (even the 1980 version who was a pale shadow of the majestic 1972 version) and we would be a contender. He was that good - not just as a centre-half but as an organiser. He learned so much from Dave Mackay.

Put so-called duffers like Daryl Powell and Stefan Schnoor in this side and we'd be better!

Put so-called duffers like Daryl Powell and Stefan Schnoor in this side and we'd be better!

That's a first.

DPFG and Schnoor associated with the word 'better' - in reply to a post mentioning McFarland and Mackay.  :p

Coming soon - why it was a mistake to let Arthur Stewart and Richie Barker go.  :lol:

(yes, I know what you are saying - but it's sunday afternoon and I'm on the Belgian beer in the sunshine. Can't see my bloody screen.)

That's a first.

DPFG and Schnoor associated with the word 'better' - in reply to a post mentioning McFarland and Mackay.  :p

Coming soon - why it was a mistake to let Arthur Stewart and Richie Barker go.  :lol:

(yes, I know what you are saying - but it's sunday afternoon and I'm on the Belgian beer in the sunshine. Can't see my bloody screen.)

WOWSERS, those Belgian beers help you go back in time? 

Why did I go to work on a Sunday?!?!? 

WOWSERS, those Belgian beers help you go back in time? 

Why did I go to work on a Sunday?!?!? 

Sunday, monday, schmonday, schnoor, snore.

They help me sleep.

Archived