Post offic eGreat Britain XI

Brammie Steve

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its all of a certain generation. 

Old timers would say Stan Matthews, Tom Finney etc and surely Steve Bloomer would be there instead of Greaves as the most prolific England goalscorer of all time (28 goals in 23 games).

........and any all time great team without Jake is void anyway.

Apart from that "wondergoal" that he scored against Brazil in the Maracana I always thought John Barnes was very average when he played for England, I also seem to remember him getting the bird at Wembley when he was playing under Taylor so wouldn't put him anywhere near an all time great team. Would also swap Keegan for Alan Shearer. 

Apart from that "wondergoal" that he scored against Brazil in the Maracana I always thought John Barnes was very average when he played for England, I also seem to remember him getting the bird at Wembley when he was playing under Taylor so wouldn't put him anywhere near an all time great team. Would also swap Keegan for Alan Shearer. 

Good point...either Shearer or Lineker given the latter's unblemished record.

Mind you I still include Georgie Best!

No one can possibly argue against Dave Mackay!

Where's the wizard of the Dribble (Sir Stan)?

Or the Scottish Saint Archie Gemmill?

Steve Bloomer.......not so easy is it?

Bet Posh is fuming anorl!

Cheers Boycie nice one.

My only thought is that John Barnes was great for club but rubbish for country.

Maybe he's a poster boy. He stuck like glue...a her herr....thank you very much...

I have now left the building... (bout time!) :ph34r:

I have to wonder if they put the team together and realised some liberal do-gooder would suggest it's racist and removed someone for the best player from an ethnic minority. I know it sounds cynical, but I've been witness to things like this happening. As South Park mock it, there is representation called 'Token' in the show. I feel Barnes is that in this team.

The next few generations wont be able to remember most players in the team above, in the same way Steve Bloomer isn't remembered for this one. Who knows, next time they do one, Sol Campbell, Rio Ferdinand, Theo Walcott, Ashley Cole or even Emile Heskey are in with a shout. 

I have to wonder if they put the team together and realised some liberal do-gooder would suggest it's racist and removed someone for the best player from an ethnic minority. I know it sounds cynical, but I've been witness to things like this happening. As South Park mock it, there is representation called 'Token' in the show. I feel Barnes is that in this team.

The next few generations wont be able to remember most players in the team above, in the same way Steve Bloomer isn't remembered for this one. Who knows, next time they do one, Sol Campbell, Rio Ferdinand, Theo Walcott, Ashley Cole or even Emile Heskey are in with a shout. 

Cyrille Regis would fit the bill very well too!

Archived