Parachute fall-out

Phoenix

Okay, I know it's only the Mirror, but this intrigued me. Perhaps it's old news anyway.

'Also in the Mirror is the extraordinary claim that some Football League clubs want teams that are relegated from the Premier League banned from the Championship.

Clubs outside of the top flight are furious that parachute payments are to rise to £60m and are ready for an "all-out war" over the new proposal.

The potential ban on Premier League clubs was suggested by some League Two sides when the 72 Football League teams discussed the issue although an insider did admit to the Mirror that: "It was a very heated meeting (and) I am not sure that particular idea was well conceived." '

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I know it's only the Mirror, but this intrigued me. Perhaps it's old news anyway.

'Also in the Mirror is the extraordinary claim that some Football League clubs want teams that are relegated from the Premier League banned from the Championship.

Clubs outside of the top flight are furious that parachute payments are to rise to £60m and are ready for an "all-out war" over the new proposal.

The potential ban on Premier League clubs was suggested by some League Two sides when the 72 Football League teams discussed the issue although an insider did admit to the Mirror that: "It was a very heated meeting (and) I am not sure that particular idea was well conceived." '

Bananas....if only! it would be great if clubs had the bollux to fight back against the Prem juggernaut, can't see it though. I'm afraid football mirrors todays society.....the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

The foreign investors want a guarantee on their investment - risk free gambling - spend millions on fees and wages knowing there's a great chance of coming back up if you get relegated.

All well and good until you realise it will slowly kill off any investment in the smaller clubs lower down. There'll be no point in chucking money at getting out of League 1 only to come up against ex-prem clubs with vast budgets. The smaller clubs are already going to be hammered with the Elite Player schemes making academies worthless and the Fair play rules stopping a local businessman doing a Lionel Pickering or a Jack Walker.

Will there ever be a close finish to a season like this again?

1971-72 going into the last week of the season.................

Manchester City 42   57

Liverpool            40   56

Derby County     41   56

Leeds United      40   55

Derby's last game was at home v Liverpool!

Can you imagine the hype if it was this close today in the Premier League? We beat Liverpool 1-0 and had to wait for them and Leeds to finish their fixtures before we knew we'd won the League.

The Wolves v Leeds match on a Monday night had a 55,000 crowd with a few thousand Derby fans at Molineux to witness it. I was only 11 but remember the gut wrenching anxiety of listening to the radio that night and the euphoria of the results coming in confirming the Rams as the Champions of England.

Its sad that the League is now won at a canter or at best, a two horse race.

Will there ever be a close finish to a season like this again?

1971-72 going into the last week of the season.................

Manchester City 42   57

Liverpool            40   56

Derby County     41   56

Leeds United      40   55

Derby's last game was at home v Liverpool!

Can you imagine the hype if it was this close today in the Premier League? We beat Liverpool 1-0 and had to wait for them and Leeds to finish their fixtures before we knew we'd won the League.

The Wolves v Leeds match on a Monday night had a 55,000 crowd with a few thousand Derby fans at Molineux to witness it. I was only 11 but remember the gut wrenching anxiety of listening to the radio that night and the euphoria of the results coming in confirming the Rams as the Champions of England.

Its sad that the League is now won at a canter or at best, a two horse race.

sure was squeaky bum time..

still pinch myself now ..

and i've had a soft spot for Wolves , ever since..

Archived