Paul Coutts

-JW-

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must say I'm a bit surprised to find a thread so critical of Coutts.  I mean, he's not brilliant but he's alright.  Like the majority of our squad he's...alright.

Agree totally that he drifts inside and looks lost without looking up and seeing Brayford out wide there though.

Agreed, the only thing I'll add - and this is a management issue really - is that he has started drifting inside all the time. Against Ipswich, second half particularly, we had Ward on the left, then Bryson, Hendrick and Ward playing in the middle, with no-one on the right. (and this was he did get moved into the middle towards the end of the game, before some smart alec points that out!)

With Freeman not really wanting to cross the half way line, it completely negates any attacking threat down the right, despite there being a huge, wide open space there most of the time!

If he is in the team to play right midfield, that's where he needs to play.

Agree with this - I think he drifts because he can. We've got a really strong attacking full back at the moment in Brayford, and he can quickly become a right winger, affording Coutts to come inside as a central midfielder. It doesn't work with Freeman (for the time being at least), so we need someone to hog the touchline.

I'd love to see Brayford in an attacking winger role.

I think it may be down to a lack of fitness, he didn't play many games last season, and over the course of the season he has tired out, similar to Hughes.

I expect with him playing 45 or so games this season, a decent break and a good pre-season under him, he'll have a much more consistent season next time around. At the beginning of the season we could see what he was capable of, constantly running at defenders, beating his man and being a threat, however he seems to have lost that yard of pace and a bit of confidence.

My innitial assessment of Coutts was wrong..

At first I said he makes no attacking movements, constantly passes sideways, and is about as attacking as Paul Thirwell.. I was wrong.. I was probably swayed by his play during his Preston days but that could be due to the fact that they were in a rut and had 2 very bad managers in one season..

It's not that he doesn't make attacking movements, because he does.. He makes attacking moves...... But..... he's just plain awful at doing them.. He recieves the ball, takes a poor first touch and the hoofs it up the line.. His crosses are poor, he's probably only made about 6 or 7 successful dribbles during his career (one where he beat about 4 players for Preston) and that has clouded peoples' judgement on him where they think he's a creative winger..

I got his style of play wrong.. But I got him to a tee when I said he's a distinctly average player who in no way would improve us.. The guy only has a starting position out on the right because we literally haven't had anyone decent out there for 4 or 5 years.. I'd say he's about as effective as Lee Croft, yet with a lesser goal threat and worse crossing..

Just when you thought you'd read the most cretinous garbage ever.........

Doesn't he have the most assist's in the WHOLE team, I could be wrongs but I'm sure about 90% he is.

Jacobs has 11, including 5 on his debut. Coutts: 9. Ward: 7. B.Davies:6.

Even if he did have more assists, it really isn't enough to be the sole argument in favour of his inclusion.

Assists can be very misleading, though as players get credited assists for a simple sideways pass from which the goalscorer beats 3 men and hits the top corner.

I agree, in both ways too. Too few assists can make a good player look bad, and too many can make a bad player look good.

Also, did Sammon not get credited for Coutts' goal against Leeds? Yano, the assist which came in the form of missing a penalty? Haha.

Actually, looking at the assists table for this season Sammon only has 5...then WTF are Radio Derby banging on about? All they go on about are his contributions, making the effort to say he's chipping in with assists! CLEALY NOT Radio Derby!

Clearly off topic! But i don't care!

Actually, looking at the assists table for this season Sammon only has 5...then WTF are Radio Derby banging on about? All they go on about are his contributions, making the effort to say he's chipping in with assists! CLEALY NOT Radio Derby!

Clearly off topic! But i don't care!

They also said there can be no debate about Sammon's control as its spot on 9/10 times. We've got like 30pages of it?

Also, Roger would take a point away from home against Alvaston Eagles U11's.

Countless chances have been created by Sammon though, I can think of tonnes - assists are only miss leading in the sense that it relies on the player you're passing the ball to, to score otherwise you don't get credited no matter how talented of a ball or cross you put in.

Coutts puts a lot of crosses in the box, a lot are often drilled away but more than enough find a player to have an effort. I would say on 'chances created' that Coutts and Sammon are by far and wide our top 2 players but Jacobs 5 crosses on his debut has pumped him up the assist table

Coutts normally tries to take on players rather than cross it but when he does cross it, they are loopy and not whipped in. On the odd chance that it is a decent cross, sadly we have two non scoring strikers. He could take a lesson from Forsyth in crossing, to be fair, so can most of the team.

I think this thread comes from he fact he is a poor player. It shouldn't take Brayford playing to be a good player yourself, but sadly for Coutts, Brayford was making him look good.

Just continue to think its harsh for Ben Davies who I think deserves some game time on the right.

Coutts normally tries to take on players rather than cross it but when he does cross it, they are loopy and not whipped in. On the odd chance that it is a decent cross, sadly we have two non scoring strikers. He could take a lesson from Forsyth in crossing, to be fair, so can most of the team.

I think this thread comes from he fact he is a poor player. It shouldn't take Brayford playing to be a good player yourself, but sadly for Coutts, Brayford was making him look good.

Just continue to think its harsh for Ben Davies who I think deserves some game time on the right.

Football is all about opinions....................Yours just happens to be wrong ....... :ph34r:

Coutts has suffered from being a positive player trying to play in a negative side. At the start of the season, we were playing with intent, he looked like the bargain of the century. As the season as gone on and Derby got into their negative shell, people like Coutts are bound to look ineffective as he spends too much time in the middle and back thirds of the pitch instead of the attacking third.

The more positive Derby play, the better players like Coutts (and Jacobs and Bryson) look.

Coutts is just a very average championship player for me, works hard, not really great or terrible at much. He lacks quality on his crosses hitting the first man a lot. I do like that when he recieves the ball he does always look to go forward instead of sideways

Archived