Jamie Ward - 20 goals next season?

ChaddesdenRam

Yep you're right. Only giving him a year to sign a contract was ridiculous.

Should have been offered a contract the season before, you remember the one where he was injured, on the bench or putting in awful performances leading to him being subbed in the first half.

Or maybe google can come up with a good counter argument to that.

Just put in kris commons and Celtic into google....that should do it.

Although why you are generating this into something its not I'm not sure, it was not an attack on your beloved board, just a point that wards hamstrings are not bad enough for a new contract to be offered and let him leave on a free.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just put in kris commons and Celtic into google....that should do it.

Although why you are generating this into something its not I'm not sure, it was not an attack on your beloved board, just a point that wards hamstrings are not bad enough for a new contract to be offered and let him leave on a free.

Sorry, was only messing.

• 3 weeks later...

I see nothing that would make me believe he'll score 20 goals next season. 

He's not a kid that's been learning the game, and will suddenly become the player his coaches always hoped he would be. 

And sadly, his injury record isn't pretty. Steve Davies was injured alot, but rarely with the same injury. That leaves the chance that his 'luck' will turn. Fractured skull, broken cheekbone, turn cruciate ligaments etc. 

Wards injuries are his hamstrings. He obviously has a weakness there which won't miraculously heal itself. That twinned with the fact that he's constantly played when he's not fully fit, tells me he'll be a 18-25 appearance a season man. And I can't see him averaging a goal a game.  

I see nothing that would make me believe he'll score 20 goals next season.

He's not a kid that's been learning the game, and will suddenly become the player his coaches always hoped he would be.

And sadly, his injury record isn't pretty. Steve Davies was injured alot, but rarely with the same injury. That leaves the chance that his 'luck' will turn. Fractured skull, broken cheekbone, turn cruciate ligaments etc.

Wards injuries are his hamstrings. He obviously has a weakness there which won't miraculously heal itself. That twinned with the fact that he's constantly played when he's not fully fit, tells me he'll be a 18-25 appearance a season man. And I can't see him averaging a goal a game.

Hardly constantly played when injured - he had a three month lay off the first time.

Maybe he is just a crock and a luxury in this league.

on his day a brilliant player, however sometimes he is a complete waste of space. sometimes.

on the whole easily our most important player.

how good were some of Sammons assists in that video by the way!

Some of Sammon's assists were very good in fairness. 

I liked the one against Bristol City towards the end of the goals in that video.

Hardly constantly played when injured - he had a three month lay off the first time.

Maybe he is just a crock and a luxury in this league.

Yes, the first time. 

Since then its been play, come off injured, miss a game, play a full 90, miss the next game, and so on...

Yes, the first time. 

Since then its been play, come off injured, miss a game, play a full 90, miss the next game, and so on...

Didn't you know the season is only from August to December, anything after that doesn't count ;)

Decent player, much prefer him up front than on the wing if I'm honest.

I think if we had a bit more strength in depth i.e. another striker who could score fairly regularly, he could be used a little more sparingly and a bit more rest time for his hamstrings. As it is 12 from 20 is a good return but not enough games.

Players get injured and have some seasons where things recur, I think he's worth keeping on a longer contract (or his extra year or whatever) useful player to have around, can change a game and inspire others. Can also be a wasteful, petulant little so and so but that's part of his charm, other teams don't like playing against him that's for sure.

If he stays fit and plays up front he could do it.

The chances of either of those things happening are slim, let alone both together.

I was having a chat with someone more knowledgeable about football than me the other day, he said 'remember Jim Smith used to play someone in the hole (Willems, Biaino), Sammon would be perfect for that, with Ward and AN Other up front'.

Not my idea, and I don't think he's crafty enough to have the movement to make it work, but interesting nonetheless.

Archived