Championship clubs weigh up salary cap to level playing field

Curtains

Article in Guardian today. Following meeting of 24 Championship clubs the Football League board was mandated to draw up a list of ways that they could try and mitigate the advantage conferred on relegated clubs that will get a proposed 23Mill in first year 18 mill in 2nd year and 9 mill in 3rd. In contrast Championship clubs not in receipt of parachute payments will get a mere 2.3 mill. One idea was to limit clubs wage outlay to 20 mill a season. Article was by Owen Gibson. There is loads more and is a really good read. Can't link it as on mobile.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea but what about the bit where the 2.3 doesn't got to relegated clubs. Good idea that IMO

I'm not sure I read it the right way. Do they mean for each of the 3 seasons while they receive parachute payments cos if it's that it would soon add up to a pretty penny. It's only 6,9m this year but then next year with 3 fresh clubs coming down it would already be up to 13.8. Assuming at least 1 and usually 2 out of  the 3 relegated clubs stay down it would quickly snowball.

If so I agree that would be a very useful way to re-distribute the TV cash.  Yet somehow I can't see them agreeing to that.

They could be a bit more radical if they really wanted to balance things up. They could distribute the cash to ONLY those clubs who are within current FP guidelines.

By the way the wage cap of 20m!?

Bloody Hell thats two Derby squads plus there'd still be enough left over for a couple of "Conor Sammon" type purchases.

How could they enforce it?

Clubs coming down will be committed to pay players wages for those 3 years at Prem rates.

They can't just rip up the contracts they've committed to.

Maybe for teams that are in the relegation places, or likely to be there, they could put clauses in the players contracts that if they are to be relegated they have to take a pay cut, if they don't get sold in the summer?

Maybe for teams that are in the relegation places, or likely to be there, they could put clauses in the players contracts that if they are to be relegated they have to take a pay cut, if they don't get sold in the summer?

There's no easy solution, every time they come up with an idea it just handicaps the clubs they're trying to protect.

If they do as you suggest then players aren't going to sign for newly promoted clubs because if they go down they'll be tied to a low paying contract for years.

If they don't do as you suggest and clubs come down with players on high wages then it loads the dice even more towards the clubs coming down.

Cap the length of the contract to a maximum of three years with a rolling option of one year on the clubs side.

23m quid is enough to have 20 players on close to 20 grand a week plus NI contributions in the championship. If you can't cut your cloth with those kind of figures something is badly wrong.

The parachute payments are there for a reason and if a side stays in the championship for 3 years without going back up then they've got a responsiblity to get rid of the players on PL wages. If the players won't leave cos they're on high wages let the contract run out put them in the reserves and let everyone know that he plays just for the money. The first time a player can't get a new club will be the time player power stops.

The majority of contracts have built in pay rises so x in year one automatically become xplus10% in year two and xplus15% in year 3. Why is it not standard that if the level they're playing at drops so does the salary they recieve. Either accept the contract with that clause or don't sign for the club.

Players have had it way too good for way too long. 

Easy solution - enforce a strict salary cap of £15m. Abandon parachute payments, but allow relegated clubs to make any players redundant they need to in order to get under the salary cap. The money that was previously used for parachute payments could then be used to compensate the released players. Level playing field at no extra cost.

My radical plan would be to nationalise the Football League.

All the players and managers become graded civil servants and they all earn the same within certain bands (which could equate to the leagues).

Any bonuses are related to performance, so if a club has a good cup run then the players get a % share of the extra revenue generated.

I'm being slightly facetious I know – but really how long do we carry on with this notion of Football Clubs being run as private business when they're not *really* like normal businesses?

Textbook question. Would this level the playing field? Yes.

Easy solution - enforce a strict salary cap of £15m. Abandon parachute payments, but allow relegated clubs to make any players redundant they need to in order to get under the salary cap. The money that was previously used for parachute payments could then be used to compensate the released players. Level playing field at no extra cost.

if QPR come down you'd need an army of paratoopers parachutes to pay out compensation.

Archived