Fan Of The Year

AndyB

Tom,

If you are prepared to make a comment like the one you have a few things you should know.

1. The Barmy Army has not been around for 2 years now. So no PR from it. No banners. Nothing. Was dropped. Finished. So very intrigued why you refer to it?

2. Make us look stupid at times? - Peterborough? Were you there. Who took the drum? Who introduced Dale Cavese?

Not saying get it right all of the time cos I aint perfect and its not all down to me but just playing devils ad there....

3. When we take absolute dire numbers away from home what the hell do you expect?

1. They all still go together and sit together at the games so it doesn't make a difference if they don't call themselves the barmy army anymore

2. I was at Peterborough and it got abit tedious  and boring after 5 minutes would much rather sing 'we are Derby' or something similar not a repetitive drone 

3. I know you don't affect the attendances but can i ask you what does the flag actually do?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you do, Tom?

Apart from continually knock people who try to improve things both home and away. If you'd "much rather sing" different things than the rest of the fan base then do it, stop moaning about it and grow a pair. 

What do you do, Tom?

Apart from continually knock people who try to improve things both home and away. If you'd "much rather sing" different things than the rest of the fan base then do it, stop moaning about it and grow a pair. 

Go to all the home games and the majority of away games, all i'm trying to say is that a stupid flag isin't improving our support at all and in my opinion Nick dosne't do a great deal.

Ok Tom, thats your opinion and you're entitled to say it.

With respect though, allow me to disagree with your view and say that Nick does do a lot - and definatley way more than the average fan who is only too willing to sit and moan.

Nick loves the club, there's no 2 ways about it and I think this fact speaks for itself by what he actually does. He talks with the management regulaly to see what can be done to make things better for us all, to come up with ways to improve the atmosphere. If you can't see what Nick's been trying to do (and achieved) by using his voice to convince SR to move the singers and by doing his best to get SS back for those that want it- then I think you haven't got the facts to hand.

Plus out of his own pocket he'll go into Europe (Hanover I think and another trip over is planned this year) to see how SS works and see if it would be viable over here and as a result the club are seriously thinking of taking it forward.

Nick doesn't have to do it, nobody tells him to, he does it because he wants to, because he simply loves his club.

I'll say this for nowt too, Nick puts a lot of other fans to shame by what he does, he deserves at the very least some kind words of encouragement. As a fellow fan, I know I'm capable of at least that much.

1. They all still go together and sit together at the games so it doesn't make a difference if they don't call themselves the barmy army anymore

2. I was at Peterborough and it got abit tedious  and boring after 5 minutes would much rather sing 'we are Derby' or something similar not a repetitive drone 

3. I know you don't affect the attendances but can i ask you what does the flag actually do?

1. Just because the BA was no longer does not mean that you stop going to games with friends that you have made. Does it?

2. Very welcome to your opinion. For me it worked and was a one off. Accept that? Doesnt happen at every game so why are you making an issue about it? Fully agree with the 'we are derby' but I HATE TO SAY IT not all Derby fans join in with this. Its not sung passionately. Compare it with Leeds United Marching on Together......

3. Are you seriously wanting me to answer that question? Shows a visual affect of our support. Looks good. Many other clubs fans have said this and are looking into purchasing their own flags of this size. We all own it after all.

Go to all the home games and the majority of away games, all i'm trying to say is that a stupid flag isin't improving our support at all and in my opinion Nick dosne't do a great deal.

Again nobody says it does improve our support in terms of numbers. However take 300 to Hull and give them all a black and white scarf singing all game with large flags and then all of a sudden 300 isn't a bad number to take.

As for your opinion on me not doing much, maybe you should ask my wife? Or my 3 children?I am sure they would love to have me around alot more than I am. 

Ok Tom, thats your opinion and you're entitled to say it.

With respect though, allow me to disagree with your view and say that Nick does do a lot - and definatley way more than the average fan who is only too willing to sit snd moan.

Nick loves the club, there's no 2 ways about it and I think this fact speaks for itself by what Nick does. He talks with the management regulaly to see what can be done to make things better for us all, to come up with ways to improve the atmosphere. If you can't see what Nick's been trying to do (and achieved) by using his voice to convince SR to move the singers and by doing his best to get SS back for those that want it- then I think you haven't got the facts to hand.

Plus out of his own pocket he'll go into Europe (Hanover I think) to see how SS works and see if it would be viable over here and as a result the club are seriously thinking of taking it forward.

Nick doesn't have to do it, nobody tells him to, he does it because he wants to, because he simply loves his club.

I'll say this for nowt too, Nick puts a lot of other fans to shame by what he does, he deserves at the very least some kind words of encouragement. As a fellow fan, I know I'm capable of at least that much.

Very kind comments Ladyram. 

Thank you!  :wub:

There always has to be one person that puts a downer on the situation. 

Nick is up for an award representing the football club. 

He has put in a lot of hard work, why be so negative. 

If you disagree with what Nick is doing (don't have a clue why you would) then fair enough but at least admire the effort Nick goes to and how he is helping derby county. 

Takes all sorts to make the world go round doesn't it, but I am surprised there's any debate in this.

If I ever had the time to get a bit more involved as a fan, I'd love to do it, it's a lot of fun and it's doing something you care about. I know Nick works his socks off but I get the impression he's often having fun. Well, certainly more fun than the quiet bunch who sit on their hands in the West Stand.

If you disagree with his direction, do something about it yourself. I can't think of a better way to improve the atmosphere than to have two groups with a healthy rivalry trying to get the atmosphere going.

But right now, Nick is pretty much the only Derby fan that I can identify as someone trying to change things. He must be doing something right.

I have an idea Nick that you could put to the club..........

Any season ticket for next season, when it comes in the post after purchase should contain a document outlining the possible creation of safe standing at one end of the stadium.

With a brief description of what it is (you can sit or stand), how many seats would be replaced with the safe standing, examples of where it has worked (germany) and alternative i.e. where it hasn't worked. What it would look like (hire a designer to give an artists impression). Importantly how much it would cost the club to install and why it would benefit the club. 

And finally give the season ticket holder at the end of the document the chance to tick one option:

option 1 - Yes, I would back the idea of safe standing at Pride Park in the 2014/15 season (it wont be done by next season will it)

option 2 - No, I strongly appose the idea of safe standing at Pride Park in the 2014/15 season

option 3 - I am unsure and would need more information and guidance from the club as to what would happen with the safe standing.

option 4 - No comment. 

????????

Peoples thoughts

I have an idea Nick that you could put to the club..........

Any season ticket for next season, when it comes in the post after purchase should contain a document outlining the possible creation of safe standing at one end of the stadium.

With a brief description of what it is (you can sit or stand), how many seats would be replaced with the safe standing, examples of where it has worked (germany) and alternative i.e. where it hasn't worked. What it would look like (hire a designer to give an artists impression). Importantly how much it would cost the club to install and why it would benefit the club.

And finally give the season ticket holder at the end of the document the chance to tick one option:

option 1 - Yes, I would back the idea of safe standing at Pride Park in the 2014/15 season (it wont be done by next season will it)

option 2 - No, I strongly appose the idea of safe standing at Pride Park in the 2014/15 season

option 3 - I am unsure and would need more information and guidance from the club as to what would happen with the safe standing.

option 4 - No comment.

????????

Peoples thoughts

Sounds good to me, why don't you suggest it yourself though? We can't let nick have all the glory...

Nick - i have said this before. The reason no-one joins in with we are derby is its become like a race.

when i was a kid it was sang more slowly so you had chance to breath between lines and keep pace with each other.

compare a normal 'Oh when the Rams' to the slow version at the start of the game. Which gets more involved? If its slower its easier to lick out the words and keep going.

Similarly - come on derby come on derby used to last longer because it was sung by two groups taking it in turns to sing. Now people try and sing every line - robbing themselves of the chance to breathe. (i still remember it morphing into 'Over the wall - On the pitch' at Watford when they got a handball goal in the FA cup)

Liking that poll Shabash... I will certainly suggest that...  There maybe something else going on that I cant really discuss at the moment as not involved so unsure whether P + C but what really pleases me is that Derby County are clearly supporting safe standing and trying to get the message out to supporters...

Great idea though!

Davo - Cannot agree more mate!

Congrats Nick, you truly deserve the recognition for all that you do for other supporters and the club, as for the hater on this page at the end of the day Nick is trying to do something postive for the fans and the club and to trying to generate a better atmosphere and day out cant and shouldnt be knocked instead of getting on his back why not support him and what he is trying to do.

Liking that poll Shabash... I will certainly suggest that... There maybe something else going on that I cant really discuss at the moment as not involved so unsure whether P + C but what really pleases me is that Derby County are clearly supporting safe standing and trying to get the message out to supporters...

Great idea though!

Davo - Cannot agree more mate!

No worries

If you need me to help in anyway I am definitely willing to give my assistance. You know where to find me.

Also this other thing going on, obviously you can't say what it is but when do you think we will see it materialise? Should we get our hopes up for this season, next season or 2 years time.

The flag is a statement of who we are. It was financed and purchased by the fans, and whenever it makes an appearance, it yells out 'We Are DERBY'. In belittling the flag, TomCumming is not just attempting to belittle Nick, he is cocking a snook at every single Rams fan who dug into their pockets and made a contribution, forked out a few quid for a badge or generally made a nuisance of themselves trying to get others to buy one.

Poor show really.

Nick, in my mind you, as custodian of the flag, deserve a medal as big as a frying pan for that alone - it is a thankless task as this thread has revealed. More than that though - more power to your elbow, because it's thanks to you and other like-minded true football fans that, one day, we will be free (and safe) to stand at matches once more.

I'll raise a glass of Tripel De Garre in your honour. 

Archived