Sam Rush - Job so far analysis

ChaddesdenRam

In My Opinion

Sam rush seems to be a really good man for the job he has been given and has done well. 

• His first job was to keep Hendrick Hughes and Brayford at the club in January and he succeeded on that front. 
  • In the loan market he has helped recruit two players in Forsyth and Martin that look alright, Martin is an improvement on Robinson and Tyson (but that is just my opinion and is debatable).
  • He did miss out though in not helping recruit our loan targets that were painstakingly obviously Aidy White and a Centre Back with a view to perm.

Rush's other job was to try and improve attendance/atmosphere. included season tickets in this:

• I understand Rush had no influence at all on the season ticket package because it was done and dusted before he arrived.
  • However once he received feedback he analysed the situation and made changes, fair play.
  • He has said that there have been a few board meetings with the FA about safe standing but we all know that wont happen this season or next, realistically.

His next jobs are:

Player situation

• Goalkeeper sales
  • James Bailey
  • Callum Ball
  • Unused strikers (theo, nathan conor)
  • Older players situation (garth, oconnor, buxton, davies,)
  • Extending Martin's loan
  • Barker situation, do we need a CB in the summer
  • Our players that need experience (Gjokak, Bennett (who is now old enough to go on loan I believe) Naylor, Freeman)
  • Keeping our talent i.e. again not selling Hendrick Brayford and Hughes

Recruitment situation

• Ensure funding for the academy continues
  • Provide more resources for the academy to attract even more talent at low ages
  • Provide more resources for the under 21 team
  • Can they make under 21 games available for fans to watch? i know they are usually on a monday at 1 o'clock so they cant get any crowds, when i know a lot of people would go watch. Bit like people used to watch Derby reserves really.
  • Buying a Left Back
  • Getting a CB on loan until January
  • Goalscorer
  • Free Agents
  • Contracts for Ward, Bryson and Brayford

Maybe I should send him the list lol.

Anyway so far Sam Rush has done well in his role in my opinion and I hope he continues to do so in the future. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hes also come out and said - and will be in his programme notes tomorrow

1) no more Friday night games - weekend fixtures will be Saturday 3pm unless moved for TV

2) after speaking to fans about branding we will be going back to basics and making the simple Ram the focus of the clubs identity (the ram will stay free on the shirts I hope then(

I think it's not that hard to keep your players if you have no any offers for them. Thank you.

Ever heard of confirmation bias?

Don't you think it's a bit odd that whenever we sell a player that people seem to think that we pretty much "accept the first offer" whilst when a player isn't sold "we never got an offer"?

The issue is that we don't hear about ever offer ever made, only the big ones, and only the ones that are likely to be accepted.

Rush can only do well if given the correct tools to do well! I don't doubt him at all, on any level and I do believe he'll be more pressing than Glick of the investors and of Clough and believe he'll have a higher standard than previously set. I do think you've got to be careful obviously and not make any rash decisions, because with the budget we are working on that is a fine margins. A few bad decisions of the running of the club, and I believe we will plummet - it's a good job he has got himself, a very good job but in the same respect it's a very hard job. The fans still have a big club mentality which mean the majority are play-offs at least or boo.. the club however, is situated with the same brackets as the smaller clubs in the division.

Maybe nowehere near as bad as made out, but no-one can argue that this team deserves to be top 6 and through bad management is the only reason we aren't, that's my opinion but i'd say that is damn-near fact also. 

I think the best thing for Rush to do is lie, and lie well. The only difference between us and the other clubs in the division is that they lie, every single year... A team like us banging on about play-offs and how we're so good and exciting, this is what is needed at this club - because at the minute, it's too realistic... it's too downbeat, and to bring players in I think you need to excite them, make them feel like 'THIS is the year, just you watch' is it going to be? no, probably not... but believing is 9/10ths of it because before you know it's not the year, you're at the football club/brought the season ticket 

I'd come out now, and say we're looking to sign a few players, expanding our budgets...etc we're going to do it, we're going for it... people will buy in anticipation, come september when Bennett is starting 'oh, we missed out on.. and they had a much more better offer...etc' it's dishonest but, it'll put bums on seats! 

I agree Rush needs to lie and get as many season tickets purchased as possible. 

However his lies might not have to be lies, they could be as you say ' we are aiming for the playoffs and going to make additions to the squad so we can fulfil those aims' which technically could be true and cannot be defined by the signings. 

He joined at the turn of the year. Questions were raised of the relationship he would have with Clough, how much he would interfere with Nigel's work, and that he wanted to bring his own manager in. Two wins later and Clough randomly speaks about his future away from Derby. Call me paranoid...I am.

Archived