DET Article On Derby Missing A Trick In January

AndyB

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah I agree....still its fun to put it out there and see what the reaction is.

To be perfectly honest. There is part of me inside saying if it was true that we weren't risking hughes so that we got 10,000,000 in the summer....

We would be in for an interesting summer transfer window

Very good and balanced article on Derby missing a trick in January on thisisderbyshire.co.uk. Sorry I can't link or copy as on mobile but well worth a read.

May be a good article for your agenda but is anything but balanced.

Where is the mention of Clough being unable to put a formula together to get us to compete in away games? No mention of him sending out our top scorer on loan? No mention of him playing players out of position? No mention of him getting another midfielder in on.loan rather than sorting out our defensive problems?

For it to be a balanced article all of these questions would need answering for me.

I remember standing at the top of the NE corner clapping the team off after we hammered Middlesborough. I honestly thought it had f*cking clicked, we were doing "ole's" and everything.... 

Bloody hell, what's the average life expectancy of a Derby County fan nowadays? 

I remember standing at the top of the NE corner clapping the team off after we hammered Middlesborough. I honestly thought it had f*cking clicked, we were doing "ole's" and everything....

Bloody hell, what's the average life expectancy of a Derby County fan nowadays?

you must have been sat near us - were back row right in the corber

you must have been sat near us - were back row right in the corber

Always buy tickets up there mate, I've forgotten the seats now but near enough smack bang in the middle. It's the best view in my opinion and a Derby song always feels better when it spreads across (pretty rare now) even my build a bonfire against forest didn't catch on  :(

Maybe, just maybe, he was told there was no money spend. Or maybe he's been sat on £5m for years and just decided to field a depleted squad!

It makes me laugh, the amount of people on this forum that have said we need a creative midfielder and striker. He gets both on loan, and now we never needed them - we needed a defender!

I agree in part, but we need a decent creative midfielder & a striker that knows were the goal is on a regular basis...in my opinion neither of these players fit the bill..I think if you look at Martins goal record it shows that he hasnt been a regular goal scorer during his career (except 1 season in champioship 1)...We need some quality now not more lucky bag signings that have not impressed at this level when offered the opportunity previously..

Just for the record Martin 1 goal in 12 for Swindon in champ1 (that was a penno), none in 3 an bit games for us=1 goal in 15 games approx this season..

I agree in part, but we need a decent creative midfielder & a striker that knows were the goal is on a regular basis...in my opinion neither of these players fit the bill..I think if you look at Martins goal record it shows that he hasnt been a regular goal scorer during his career (except 1 season in champioship 1)...We need some quality now not more lucky bag signings that have not impressed at this level when offered the opportunity previously..

Just for the record Martin 1 goal in 12 for Swindon in champ1 (that was a penno), none in 3 an bit games for us=1 goal in 15 games approx this season..

About Chris Martin.

Your argument is valid however.

He has shown in this loan spell he can play. 1 disallowed goal at Cardif that was 100% on side. A shot destined for the bottom corner at Birmingham if it wasnt for a lucky deflection. An excellent save from Butland to deny him too.

At Swindon I was informed Martin did not play striker instead as a LAM. This would show why his goal scoring was so poor.

I am not saying you are wrong in that Martin might not be good enough all am showing is that he has looked good and some of the stats are misleading.

Lastly he has a quality first touch. A player that we should look to sign for that alone because we severely lack control up top, someone who can hold up the ball get runners involved and find a pass ala Steve Davies.

About Chris Martin.

Your argument is valid however.

He has shown in this loan spell he can play. 1 disallowed goal at Cardif that was 100% on side. A shot destined for the bottom corner at Birmingham if it wasnt for a lucky deflection. An excellent save from Butland to deny him too.

At Swindon I was informed Martin did not play striker instead as a LAM. This would show why his goal scoring was so poor.

I am not saying you are wrong in that Martin might not be good enough all am showing is that he has looked good and some of the stats are misleading.

Lastly he has a quality first touch. A player that we should look to sign for that alone because we severely lack control up top, someone who can hold up the ball get runners involved and find a pass ala Steve Davies.

I agree with you, that he could probably do the role you suggest well, but we need a goal scoring forward...Also & I may be wrong here isnt Sammon supposed to do the role you are proposing for Martin? ..

I mentioned in a previous post, that I could only see his signing being beneficial as Sammons direct replacement... In our current financial position could we afford a second type of this kind of player...Also theres Mr Ball to return from Covie (if he does return), would this give us three of this type of forward...

Personally I would have him over Sammon, especially if we could re-coup the money we paid out for him, to put towards a regular goal scorer..But if the plan is to keep Sammon, then I would like to see the money that Martin would cost us spent on getting a goal scorer.

. You could be right. I'm going to say I don't want to be bashing Cloughie I get fed up of it to be honest but I also get fed up of people supporting his every move. Nigel should be expected to spot good players as all managers should I mean look at Gary Rowett. Steve Bruce goes to Hull and yes he's had money to spend but he's also got tactical know how. Ultimately Cloughie will judged on results. I'm going to Pride Park to watch the Rams against the Foxes but was tempted to watch England vs Wales rugby. I hope we bear Leicester we need a win.

If you consider missing football to watch rugby i'm afraid that makes everything else you say null and void. :p

I agree with you, that he could probably do the role you suggest well, but we need a goal scoring forward...Also & I may be wrong here isnt Sammon supposed to do the role you are proposing for Martin? ..

I mentioned in a previous post, that I could only see his signing being beneficial as Sammons direct replacement... In our current financial position could we afford a second type of this kind of player...Also theres Mr Ball to return from Covie (if he does return), would this give us three of this type of forward...

Personally I would have him over Sammon, especially if we could re-coup the money we paid out for him, to put towards a regular goal scorer..But if the plan is to keep Sammon, then I would like to see the money that Martin would cost us spent on getting a goal scorer.

In my opinion I would have this attacking team bar any injuries.

Coutts Hendrick Hughes Ward

Waghorn Martin

You were right in your deduction, I think Martin can do the job Sammon does.

Sammon is worth around 600-700k in my opinion and will work very hard, get double figures for the season and trouble defenders. However I would sacrifice sammons work rate for someone who can just get two clear chances all game and score 1.

Maybe he had to say that? I bet if funds were available he would have used them!

Oh please come on. I'm just picturing this as a home made video on Al Jazeera with Nigel in front of the camera and Sam Rush just out of picture with an AK47 aimed at Nigels head

Obvious for you but you are not our manager.

Clough happy with Rams' lot

http://www.football-league.co.uk/championship/news/20130103/clough-happy-with-rams-lot_2293322_3025791

I like the bit in the interview where Clough says he will be happy challenging for a Top Ten spot, am I missing something here, do you get a backdoor route into The Premiership by finishing in the Top 10 and there are another series of playoffs for teams placed 7 to 10? Are we going to be challenging for a midtable position next season by the same token, I can feel my spine tingling already with anticipation.

Sounds,like Clough got our potential for this season spot on. We are in 12th and 4 points off 10th

maybe he knows football quite well

Didn't almost everyone who understood our squad and likely transfer dealings say we'd finish directly in mid-table? We weren't going to go down, we were never likely to go close to the play-offs in the long run.

We're currently sat precisely where we probably should be, give or take a position or so.

Archived