One way of dealing with internet trolls.........

CumbrianRam

When Curtis Woodhouse lost his English light-welterweight title on points to Shane Singleton on Friday night , he was branded a "disgrace" on the social networking site by 'Jimmyob88'‏, who has reportedly been abusing Woodhouse on Twitter for months.

The boxer was so enraged with the tweets that he offered his followers a £1,000 reward if they could help him locate the culprit. Woodhouse's growing number of Twitter followers chipped in and managed to track down his troll.

Woodhouse set off to find his troll, tweeting a photograph of the street on which Jimmyob88 lived. "Right Jimbob, I'm here," he wrote, adding: "Someone tell me what number he lives at or do I have to knock on every door #itsshowtime."

Realising the error of his ways, Jimmyob88 replied: "I am sorry it's getting a bit out of hand. I am in the wrong. I accept that." A triumphant Woodhouse went home, joking that he could have saved himself some petrol money by blocking his cowardly abuser.

Woodhouse has been hailed as a hero online, with Lennox Lewis, John Prescott and Joey Barton all offering messages of support after the story broke on Mashable.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/mar/12/english-boxer-curtis-woodhouse-twitter-troll

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope Woodhouse felt like he got value for money out of his grand, seems like a total waste of time, money and effort in my honest opinion

Got **** loads more twitter followers and media attention.

Probably worked out ok when you see what some people/companies pay for PR.

Hope Woodhouse felt like he got value for money out of his grand, seems like a total waste of time, money and effort in my honest opinion

I'd expect that it wasn't a question of the grand but of getting some anonymous no mark to stop abusing him on the internet hoping he was masked by anonimity.

The second they make forums and social media a place where you can only post using your own  REAL name is the second it changes for the better.

Too many cowards hiding behind a nickname, Too many people without the faintest idea of what it takes to succeed tellng those who've worked their whole life to get to where they got how rubbish they are.

The abuse some people dish out on the internet is nothing short of a disgrace.

Put up or shut up was probably the message he was delivering and while I'm not advocating a professional boxer takes the head off of of a fat 15 stone crisp munching dumb ass. it will certainly make people like jimbo think twice.

I'd expect that it wasn't a question of the grand but of getting some anonymous no mark to stop abusing him on the internet hoping he was masked by anonimity.

The second they make forums and social media a place where you can only post using your own  REAL name is the second it changes for the better.

Too many cowards hiding behind a nickname, Too many people without the faintest idea of what it takes to succeed tellng those who've worked their whole life to get to where they got how rubbish they are.

Put up or shut up was probably the message he was delivering and while I'm not advocating a professional boxer takes the head off of of a fat 15 stone crisp munching dumb ass. it will certainly make people like jimbo think twice.

To be fair, I've got a lot of time for the people that abuse Rio Ferdinand on twitter.

Being able to post on forums, social media etc only using your real name is never going to happen though. 

Not sure people criticising their government in China would agree.

Listened to an interview with Woodhouse and apparently this youth had been trolling him for 6 months, with his first tweet "hoping he died in the ring so he could go and see his dead dad".

Had a look at some of the tweets he sent to a number of people and they were truly appalling.

Hats off to Woodhouse for calling him out...

Oddly enough, the troll was called James O'Brien. Hasn't our full-back gone missing??

Not sure people criticising their government in China would agree.

I can't understand what they write anyway. Chinese people are so polite they might just be telling me I smell lovely and have nice eyes.

You can't sanction them for that.

Anyway enough of that.

聯盟奈傑爾

Did he go crying to his mum when people were calling him horrible names, sounds playground stuff. If you're happy to go and put yourself out there on a social media site then you must expect some form of criticism in return, if you can't take it, don't open a Twitter account. Simples.

Did he go crying to his mum when people were calling him horrible names, sounds playground stuff. If you're happy to go and put yourself out there on a social media site then you must expect some form of criticism in return, if you can't take it, don't open a Twitter account. Simples.

Why must you accept some form of criticism? From idiots who have nothing better to do.

If you can't take it don't open a twitter account? Seriously? How about if you've achieved feck all don't go round hammering those who've been able or talented enough to do it themselves.

How about this, if you've achieved feck all, don't open a twitter account to "follow" a celeb who you're then going to throw cheap personal insults at.

He didn't go crying to his mum either, he went to the guys front door at which point the "bully" which is very typical, wet his pants and started crying for his mummy. If you can't take it don't dish it out.

I hate modern society with it's scum element.

Why must you accept some form of criticism? From idiots who have nothing better to do.

If you can't take it don't open a twitter account? Seriously? How about if you've achieved feck all don't go round hammering those who've been able or talented enough to do it themselves.

How about this, if you've achieved feck all, don't open a twitter account to "follow" a celeb who you're then going to throw cheap personal insults at.

He didn't go crying to his mum either, he went to the guys front door at which point the "bully" which is very typical, wet his pants and started crying for his mummy. If you can't take it don't dish it out.

I hate modern society with it's scum element.

The saying "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it" springs to mind. 

I think saying that he hoped he "died in the ring so he could meet up with his dead dad" is not exactly criticism...

He also tweeted Ched Evans' wife several times calling her a stupid filthy slag, etc.

I'm afraid that is not criticism, it's entirely unwarranted.

The stuff he said to Piers Morgan, however... ;)

Internet bullying is like road rage.

Someone does something to upset you and you're balling and shouting like a junk yard dog at them.

If the same person was walking in front of you and suddenly stopped causing you to move quickly, you might mutter under your breath.

I'm afraid they'll never stop cyber bullying. Too many people have problems in life where they find off loading onto others in what they seem to be harmless fun to be the release they need.

The Internet has a lot to answer for. It's both the saviour and destroyer of modern living.

Talking to people all around the world = good.

Small business on the high street closing= bad.

Archived