March Games

EastKentRam

Exactly, I never really realised it till I got older and you go up to the midlands and there's about 10 clubs within an hours train journey of some cities. 

Ebbsfleet is pretty close to London so not very close to me, Kent is a big county. 

The thing with supporting Derby is, we all aim to get in the Premier League, but then I think, then what? What is the next level? The best we will ever be able to hope for is to get into Europe and maybe win the FA Cup. And even then, getting into Europe probably gets boring once you've played in it once as most big clubs in the competition dont give a f*ck about it.

Supporting a lower league/non league club you've always got that dream of climbing the divisions, or finally getting into the football league. Supporting these small non league clubs as well you feel far more a part of it, a club for the local community. There was 10 or so visible Canvey Island fans at the game I was at Saturday, singing, enjoying themselves, get to pop into the bar at half time, legends, wish I was them in a way. 

I was born in Kent, near Gravesend.. I asked my Dad what were the closest clubs to me and he said Gillingham and Charlton for league clubs aren't that far, and Ebbsfleet for a non-league club..

You're right regarding Europe.. I guess it only works if you're a supporter of a relitively small European side where the expectations aren't so high.. Ones that regularly get into Europe, I imagine expectations then rise and you're back to having fans getting depressed when results don't go their way.. Similar to Newcastle I guess, always moaning..

You could always go back to following Margate.. Derby will always be your league club, but if you take enjoyment from watching Margate there is no reason why you can't follow them and do a few trips.. Don't you have any mates that follow them too?

If I ever move back to Europe, most likely Spain, I'll try and adopt a lower league club.. Having a look now it seems a sad state of affairs.. Many lower league clubs in Spain are folding due to the financial crisis.. 3 3rd division clubs in the Almeria area, each with stadiums of 5k-8k have folded as they can't afford to keep the players on.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of Italy, Malta did pretty well against them today, lost 2-0, but one of them goals was a penalty. Michael Mifsud missed a penalty to make it 1-1. Italy dominate possesion, but Malta had a couple of chances and can be proud of the performance against an improving Azzuri.

Heck San Marino even had a shot on target today. :D

I'm just settling down to watch el classico

Mexico vs USA at the Azteca WC qualifying

Both teams will make the WC but non the less it's a crunch game.. Mexico has a fantastic record on home soil vs The US and I fully expect them to take another 3 points tonight..

As for other South American teams..

Chile 2-0 Uruguay

Venezuela 1-0 Colombia

Bolivia 1-1 Argentina

Ecuador 4-1 Paraguay

With 5 games remaining it's starting to get interesting.. Argentina, Ecuador and Colombia have done enough to qualify.. Them 3 are certain.. 4th place is also garaunteed to make the finals and it looks like a 3 way battle between a solid Chile side, newcomers Venezuela and an out of sorts Uruguay side.. 5th place will go into a playoff..

Paraguay and Bolivia are gone and Peru still have a chance..

Amazing turnarounds.. Ecuador and Colombia have become really good sides and Paraguay and Uruguay have gone majorly backwards.. It's panic stations for Uruguay as they're massively out of form and lie 6th with 3 away games and only 2 home games (against the top 2 Argentina and Colombia).. They're in deep trouble..

As for Venezuela, I hope they make their 1st finals.. They were about as good as Lithuania 10 years ago but they're probably (along with Montenegro and perhaps NZ) the most improved football nation in the world over the past 10 years..

Want any more proof that the FIFA ranking is a load of old codswallop?

51. Haiti

57. Cape Verde Islands

69. Wales

Seriously.. A team with Ramsey, Bale, Bellamy, Allen etc. (worth probably $80mill) behind the powerful Haiti (A squad worth about $100k)

Sunderland are up there with the most pointless clubs in the PL..

They're never going to break into the top 7 or so.. They're always going to be less recognized than their neighbours Newcastle

And they'e kit is just ugly.. Such a pointless boring PL club that I wouldn't watch if someone paid me.. They're a nothing club, not the least bit exciting.. You look at teams like Southampton, Fulham and Swansea and WBA and they're at least a little bit exciting with their methods and players etc.. But Sunderland?

Oh and their stadium.. Boring.

I hope they go down so I don't have to watch them on the box next year..

Want any more proof that the FIFA ranking is a load of old codswallop?

51. Haiti

57. Cape Verde Islands

69. Wales

Seriously.. A team with Ramsey, Bale, Bellamy, Allen etc. (worth probably $80mill) behind the powerful Haiti (A squad worth about $100k)

That's ridiculous. The ranking system just doesn't work, they need a new formula.

That's ridiculous. The ranking system just doesn't work, they need a new formula.

Haiti have collected many points because of their cup records and WC qualification points with wins over Cuba, Martinique, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, Grenada, Dominican Republic, Bermuda etc..

Seriously, in what world are they competition to the likes of Serbia, Croatia, Belgium etc..

I can safely say England will never ever drop out of the top 15.. They'll continually be given qualifying groups against second rate European sides and top seeded at the WCs..It's fixed that England would literally have to fail to qualify for a tournament 3 times running for us to drop out..

You see how Uruguay went from Copa America winners and Semi-Final at the WC to around 15th in the rankings.. That's only possible because of the immensely tough qualification group they have where Argentina, Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, Chile all have top sides so they're obviously going to lose a few..

The ranking is a load of balloney

The only way it would work is to have regional rankings.. Or continental rankings..

Because how can anyonw ever decide who is better between someone like Romania and Japan.. Both have such different methods to reach the finals and if ranking points are only achieved through 'positive results' ie. Win or draw then how can it be a fair comparison..

There are plenty of European sides that whilst aren't particularly great could still hold their own.. I mentioned the likes of Ukraine and Poland, they're both obviously better than any of the Carribean, North American (excluding Mexico) and Asian sides..

I know full well if Australia (39) played against Ukraine (48) or Iran (57) played against Poland (61) or Uzbekistan (59) played against Cameroon (79) where my money would go..

Archived