Investment

joeb93

The current board arent taking the club anywhere. They refuse to give Clough a reasonable ammount of money to spend on transfers or wages. Then they put up the season ticket prices. What different will we get next season? My guess is nothing. They need to realise that without putting a reasonable ammount of money into the club were not gonna go anywhere!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a good point, but they have invested, another 7million this year - plus a bit for Clough to play with.

I think the important thing we're lacking is experience, this can be done by a) investing or 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> waiting - I think we're heading in the right direction, but it will take time unless we go out and buy 3/4 experienced heads for our team

I think CB, LB, ST and RM are the areas we need to improve on.

It's a good point, but they have invested, another 7million this year - plus a bit for Clough to play with.

I think the important thing we're lacking is experience, this can be done by a) investing or 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> waiting - I think we're heading in the right direction, but it will take time unless we go out and buy 3/4 experienced heads for our team

I think CB, LB, ST and RM are the areas we need to improve on.

Agreed...

Why do the haters always crawl out of the woodwork complaining about needing to spend loads of money?

Give me the bargains like Fielding/Ward/Coutts/Brayford/Bryson any day of the week...

All we need is another Brayford at LB and a back-up Ward up top... Job DONE...

Agreed...

Why do the haters always crawl out of the woodwork complaining about needing to spend loads of money?

Give me the bargains like Fielding/Ward/Coutts/Brayford/Bryson any day of the week...

All we need is another Brayford at LB and a back-up Ward up top... Job DONE...

Was this before you started thinking about the holes in our squad for next season?

Not another thread debating whether the board have/haven't invested...please!

Let's just get to the point – we have a wage limit, and whether enforced on him or not, NC seems quite happy with it as it is a good tool for building morale and team spirit (ie no big time charlies earning huge wages but not putting the effort in)

So – it's not as easy as just saying we "need to invest", because the type of players who will come here without blowing the wage budget are limited. They have to be the right kind of player to fit into what NC is building. And that is a reeeeeeeally slow process

Effectively it means we'll keep taking on lower league players and the odd out-of-favour/unsettled Championship player , finding that some work out well and others don't – mix them up with the best of the youngsters until eventually we end up with a decent team that can challenge for promotion.

Personally I think it will take at least another season to get close to that, as investment will sustained at the current levels

I guess when you say "lack of investment" you actually mean, lack of massive signings on high wages that are a massive gamble?

I will say, and I said this after the game on Saturday.. that I am disappointed we haven't made more of an effort in the loan market.

A team working on our budget can go a long way with loan players, I know it's a daft example but Watford have a much smaller budget than us, but they've got 5/6 loan players that have helped their promotion push.

This is definitely one area I would of liked to see us exploited - we've got a good reputation with clubs, so would of thought we could of picked a couple names up.

...and you know this to be a fact how exactly? The only thing we know for sure about this year is that they have put in £3.9m and that any amount they put in during a year covers net spending on players.

We all need to take a step back and just look at the club right at this moment in time regardless of the past.

Too many people moaning about seasons gone by.

This season if we finish in the top 10 will be "average" derby county fans except us to be in the top 10 as a whole some except premier league football.

However, next season regardless of the financial situation, crowd attendances, poor atmosphere, lack of experience, board don't care, selling our best players etc

We just need to look at the main 18 players that will get derby county into the playoffs.

Our team is good enough to beat anyone on their day. Fact. But it is not consistent enough and we lack ability in certain areas that hinder our chances.

These areas are firstly, a commanding centre half that has influence through physical presence, height and experience.

We need a quick left back that can match wingers and stop balls getting in the box.

We need a goalscorer that will get 20 goals in 2013/14.

If we get that I can't see us finishing below 8th

The lack of activity in the loan market is an interesting one.

When we've known all season that we have no experienced left-back cover, and that one of our first choice centre-backs is out long term injured, common sense would dictate that we had some options lined up to plug these gaps when the inevitable happens.

Yet NC has seemed hellbent on covering from within and not using the loan market. I'm pretty sure that we must be the only club in the division to have not used a loan signing this season and I fully expect that to be thrown back at us loyal fans as evidence of "progress" by the end of the campaign

...and you know this to be a fact how exactly? The only thing we know for sure about this year is that they have put in £3.9m and that any amount they put in during a year covers net spending on players.

I just assumed the 8million* sorry loss reported in the papers. I know you're much wiser than me when it comes to the numbers, I just go on what I've been told in the press.

round and round and round we go......

I suppose we're going round and round because Clough said ages ago that we were short on quality.He said that we had an honest bunch of lads,and that much is evident.However,to get to the next level it's unlikely that raids into the lower divisions are likely to deliver the goods,as these past raids have produced the comment he made (and I'm not suggesting our signings were just purely hard workers).Therefore we come back to the point that (the missing) quality usually costs a premium.

I just assumed the 8million* sorry loss reported in the papers. I know you're much wiser than me when it comes to the numbers, I just go on what I've been told in the press.

I doubt the press could have reported on an £8m loss for "this year", possibly because it's not yet over.I suppose it's rather pointless to (again) remind anyone that headline losses don't equate to the much smaller cash losses.

I suppose we're going round and round because Clough said ages ago that we were short on quality.

Ages ago would be my argument to you now...

We have some quality players in this squad... Keogh, Brayford, Hughes, Ward, Sammon and Jacobs would the ones who stand out for me...

And you just need the right mix of honesty and quality... I still think we're 2/3 players off a serious promotion challenge, but on the evidence so far I see NO reason why Nigel can't pick them up the same way he had Brayford and Ward...

The current board arent taking the club anywhere. They refuse to give Clough a reasonable ammount of money to spend on transfers or wages. Then they put up the season ticket prices. What different will we get next season? My guess is nothing. They need to realise that without putting a reasonable ammount of money into the club were not gonna go anywhere!

I agree, its all well and good saying they have put in 7 mill this year, but all they are doing is loosing money each year with no positive outcome.

Also if it is true that players such as Brayford are in the last year of thier contract and won't be offered a new deal so we have to sell them at a knock down price, then we arn't building a squad. We arn't going to go anywhere. I can't us attempting to go up any time soon.

I was also very surprised about the loan market because clough has been quite good at utilising that in his reign. My highlight was getting bueno anyway that's not important.

I simply think we couldn't get our loan targets in this time around. Clough and Sam rush had many interviews expressing their enthusiasm towards the loan market after feb the 1st. I bet they are still working on players but the difference this time is that we are looking for proven quality.

Before our loans were the likes of fielding, ward and Robinson. Unproven players that shone in their loan spells. This time around I reckon we would be going after someone like crainey at Blackpool. Because he is from the same league there will be more negotiations required and less chance of him coming on loan before the summer. Crainey is just an example I am no way implying we are interested.

Therefore if we cannot get a player of his calibre on loan and a perm in the summer we should keep our options open and playing the youth would allow this.

Still plenty of time yet though I have a feeling we will get 2 loans in and then 4 permanents in the summer (including the 2 loanees)

Ages ago would be my argument to you now...

We have some quality players in this squad... Keogh, Brayford, Hughes, Ward, Sammon and Jacobs would the ones who stand out for me...

And you just need the right mix of honesty and quality... I still think we're 2/3 players off a serious promotion challenge, but on the evidence so far I see NO reason why Nigel can't pick them up the same way he had Brayford and Ward...

"Ages ago" relates to mid way through last season,when he was asked about top 6 and pointed out we hadn't got 2 of the players we were supposed to have been chasing.Therefore Ward and Brayford were already there and Keogh/Sammon were replacements for Shackell/Savies (who were there when the comment was made).Therefore we're left with Jacobs and Hughes from your list.Jacobs isn't in the side on anything like a regular basis,because he's still learning the game.Hughes is a talent,but you can't expect too much (now) at his age.

His comment didn't mean that existing players were avarage,but that we were short of real quality in certain areas.Unfortunately,the offensive areas tend to cost the most.

Loans tend to be hit and miss and I agree with Clough when he said earlier in the season that he would only consider the loan market if the club had an injury crisis.

They are also expensive. There's the loan fee plus the wages.

In all likelihood, loaning an up and coming player who may or may not do the business on the pitch may cost DCFC a hundred grand at least over 6 months. You times that by 2 or 3 and you're looking at a whole heap of cash we can ill afford.

There's also the unsettling effect it can have on the player who's position you loanee is replacing. Clough would only bring a loan player in if he is an improvement on what we already have. He stated that a couple of seasons back.

All in all, I'm glad we're leaving this market alone.

Archived