The Big Sammon Thread

Rich3478

Dont get to see to many live matches owing to my location,and the internet speed is so bad that Rams Player isn't an option,so was really looking forward to last night,but Sammon was so poor,looked like he couldn't be botherred,half of the game wasn't even watching the ball,do you drop him and allow a younger forward such as Bennett a game now we are safe or does the manager think we still have a slim chance of the playoffs and stick with Sammon.Good that we won though and so pleased that we were the team  that pushed old humpty dumpty warnock off his thrown.Hoping for a win against Ipswich on Saturday

We do still have an outside chance at the playoffs - OK, we all know we really don't, but mathematically we do. Given that promotion is worth about £90m, I think the owners would be entitled to sack Nigel for gross misconduct if he stopped trying for the playoffs whilst there was still any possibility.

And Sammon was OK last night, he's just a very limited player. Martin is technically far superior, but has looked sulky and disinterested in the last two games.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the course of the game, Sammon was the biggest attacking threat on the pitch yesterday, more than Martin, Jacobs, Diouf and Morison. McCormack scored a cracker but otherwise was kept under control.

It will no doubt always come down to the penalty miss in some people's eyes, but other than that he led the line excellently, won plenty of flick ons, brought people into play and gave their two centre backs a very uneasy afternoon.

In my opinion, to say he was useless means you either have a grudge against him whereby you won't change your mind regardless of what he does, or you don't watch enough Championship football to know what it's about.

The only thing that no-one can really defend him on is his scoring, but at the moment he's bring plenty else to the team to justify his selection.

I don't believe in booing a player who has a Rams shirt on, and I know he does not pick himself....BUT apart from runnig around like a headless chicken he is quite simply crap, no other way to describe him.

Remembering what Nigel said when signing him " We have been chasing him for a long time" or words to that effect, he paid £1.2 million for him, no wonder he keeps playing him. With Nigel at the helm and the scouting system we have I would not give them 2pence to buy anyone.

When Conner pick up the ball to take that penalty I was shocked I knew he would miss, let us be honest we were very lucky to come away with the 3 points It was a case of watching 2 very poor teams in a medioca league, and one that we should be a the top of, if our leadership and board had been up to the job.

How long do we have to continue to suffer this standard of football?

Transfered from Sammon Poll

Over the course of the game, Sammon was the biggest attacking threat on the pitch yesterday, more than Martin, Jacobs, Diouf and Morison. McCormack scored a cracker but otherwise was kept under control.

It will no doubt always come down to the penalty miss in some people's eyes, but other than that he led the line excellently, won plenty of flick ons, brought people into play and gave their two centre backs a very uneasy afternoon.

In my opinion, to say he was useless means you either have a grudge against him whereby you won't change your mind regardless of what he does, or you don't watch enough Championship football to know what it's about.

The only thing that no-one can really defend him on is his scoring, but at the moment he's bring plenty else to the team to justify his selection.

100% correct.

I don't believe in booing a player who has a Rams shirt on, and I know he does not pick himself....BUT apart from runnig around like a headless chicken he is quite simply crap, no other way to describe him.

Remembering what Nigel said when signing him " We have been chasing him for a long time" or words to that effect, he paid £1.2 million for him, no wonder he keeps playing him. With Nigel at the helm and the scouting system we have I would not give them 2pence to buy anyone.

When Conner pick up the ball to take that penalty I was shocked I knew he would miss, let us be honest we were very lucky to come away with the 3 points It was a case of watching 2 very poor teams in a medioca league, and one that we should be a the top of, if our leadership and board had been up to the job.

How long do we have to continue to suffer this standard of football?

Transfered from Sammon Poll

We won without playing well. You might not like the manager, but that's usually a cause to be pleased.

We won without playing well. You might not like the manager, but that's usually a cause to be pleased.

Not when there are Cloughs to out.

Sammon wasn't too bad yesterday.

Besides the usual running like a billy goat and missing goal scoring opportunities.

He tracked back countless times to help the defense, stopped Leeds getting in crosses and was there defending when Leeds tried to snatch a late (late) goal.

I would try Sammon CDM of a midfield 3, and I'm not even joking.

His strengths are his athleticism and ability to put his body around, and there was a bit of play yesterday where he simply just did this. 

Players aren't robots, I think we'd see his performance levels pick up if given a run in that part of the pitch - the new seth johnson, who was a similar player.  

I would try Sammon CDM of a midfield 3, and I'm not even joking.

His strengths are his athleticism and ability to put his body around, and there was a bit of play yesterday where he simply just did this. 

Players aren't robots, I think we'd see his performance levels pick up if given a run in that part of the pitch - the new seth johnson, who was a similar player  chrome dome too

;)

How can Sammon be the biggest attacking threat......when he dont look like scoring ?

Im not knocking his play, but Buxton, Coutts and McCormack were all bigger threats as they scored, sammon didnt look like doing this, even when taking a peno with just the keeper to beat.

He was not useless, and was as good as most other players on the pitch, but in an area where we have been crying out for a goal scorer (which is what NC brought him in for), he continues to dissapoint.

That all said, we won yesterday, so no player for me can be faulted including Sammon who played his part.

I think we need to all accept that Mr Sammon isn't the greatest striker in the world and that he didn't ask to be bought for an undisclosed sum of £1.2m...

However, it's pretty clear that the banter he gets from the stands isn't helping him, he's not going to score every game, or every chance but getting on his back is only going to make things worse.

I personally think he's okay, he does a certain job, not convinced he's good enough all round to take us higher but I say we give him a fair stab at a pre-season to work on his game and build some rapport with his team mates and hope that he improves on this season (which for a first season as a striker in an unfamiliar league is not that bad!)

Up the Sammon

A summary of Sammon's ability

Shooting/finishing - 1/10

Heading - 2/10

Passing - 3/10

First touch/hold up play - 1/10

Pace- 5/10

Strength 4/10

Work rate/endeavour - 10/10

Still can't quite believe Clough wasted £1.2m on this donkey!

Rubbish!

Martin won the penalty. Jacobs also should have had a penalty. Davies got an assist and produced good saves from Kenny. Buxton and Couts both scored,

Apart from missing the penality and winning about 20% of his headers where exactly was this attacking threat from Sammon??

Eddie I want to learn "how did you do that?"

You started off fine - by pressing 'quote' you highlighted the text I had posted, and you have put your reply in the right place.

What you can do is to edit the quoted text just by moving the cursor into it (up and down arrows or just move your mouse and click). Highlight the bit you want to change (say by clicking and holding) and then change it (say by using strikethrough). At the top of the box you can change the font, the size etc and then there are the usual text formatting icons (Bold, Italic, Underline, Strikethrough, Subscript and Superscript). Have a play. I tend to embolden and increase the font size of anything I've added, just to make it 'stand out'.

It's normal convention when you do alter someone's text to actually tell them you've done so - either by typing 'fixed' or 'FTFY'.

Good comedy value at times - although there are plenty of humourless gits who cannot handle any form of dissent

Archived