Birmingham city fc money troubles

jimbobram

They'll have their snouts in the trough for a few years yet.Boro were jammy-I'm sure that they were only supposed to get the 2 chute payments (like us),but because they were snouting when the increases came,they seem to be getting a share of the rapidly increasing overseas rights.Hull,Burnley and Pompey also seem to be benefitting-I'm sure they should have been on £8m.It seems to me the first 2 payments are unaffected,but around £4m seems to be added to subsequent ones.

With further big increases coming,gawd only knows what will happen to future chute payments (and how many clubs might be receiving something).

[url=http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2012/05/14/where-the-money-went-premier-league-prize-and-tv-payments-for-2011-12-150501/]http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2012/05/14/where-the-money-went-premier-league-prize-and-tv-payments-for-2011-12-150501/

so even with that extra revenue to everyone else they are struggling - puts football finances in perspective really

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so even with that extra revenue to everyone else they are struggling - puts football finances in perspective really

Brum were known to be in a mess,so no surprise there.Wouldn't like to see teams like Norwich or Swansea come down because I think they'd be strong.

yeah and they both went up without spending a lot in the short term.

Yup,I meant in both the footballing and financial sense,that's why I picked them.Wouldn't like to see Wigan either ,if they kept Martinez (and I think they would)-think he'd get them straight back up.

It just shows the gamble and spend your way up isn't a sure fire way of making money - if you don't stay up even with parachute payments you could be screwed.

Maybe,but Brum's problems were stacking up ages ago.

what about blackburn then ? been up there for years, come down, usless. So are bolton.

If you look at clubs like Hull and Burnley,there's evidence that some who come down in difficulty have time to readjust and then take advantage of the latter chute payments.This could easily happen with the two you mention.

May have got Burnley,Hull and Pompey wrong,as this would have been their second payments (I think!),so they may have got less than they should.Thought it was supposed to be 2x£16m and 2x £8m.

I'm completely confused by what parachute payments teams are due.

When the new agreement came into affect, did it change what parachute payments previously relegated clubs would receive or only clubs relegated after the new agreement came in?

Is this what you were referring to above? It was never clear to me and I gave up trying to work out which clubs were receiving what!

what about blackburn then ? been up there for years, come down, usless. So are bolton.

It all depends on how clubs react to the danger of relegation. Do they put faith the manager and players do get out of it and hold the reigns in tight, or do they panic and start throwing money at the problem hoping to save themselves?

It's the later clubs that implode (Portsmouth, Brum, us), the former are more likely to be stable (WBA, Blackpool).

I'm completely confused by what parachute payments teams are due.

When the new agreement came into affect, did it change what parachute payments previously relegated clubs would receive or only clubs relegated after the new agreement came in?

Is this what you were referring to above? It was never clear to me and I gave up trying to work out which clubs were receiving what!

It seems clear to me that any relegated clubs that were still due payments after the agreement came in have gained some additional benefit.When we were receiving our second payment,Boro were on their first.This was the year when the new structure was agreed,but not yet implemented.As Boro's second payment came in at £15m,they obviously gained extra benefit,because that payment (without the change) should have been a few million less and their final payment.They then go on to receive a further £4m the following year.

Payments from 9/10 were as follows:-

9/10 Derby,Boro,Newcastle,Reading,West Brom and the League (presumably for redistribution) all got £12.369m

10/11 Burnley,Hull,Boro and Pompey all got £15m

11/12 Brum,Blackpool,W.Ham got £15.475m ; Burnley,Hull,Pompey got £12.22m and Boro got £4.08m.

All extracted from the site linked earlier.This year's figures might give some clue as to the revised structure.

From this I deduce that Burnley Hull and Pompey can all look forward to a final payment next year; Blackpool and Brum would have a further 2 payments; Wolves,Blackburn,Bolton (unless promoted) would be due 3,and of course freshly relegated clubs would be due 4.Therefore it's possible that 10 of 24 clubs in 13/14 could be receiving chute payments.Because of the Boro situation,it's quite possible that any whose payments should have finished may still get small extra amounts.

It seems clear to me that any relegated clubs that were still due payments after the agreement came in have gained some additional benefit.When we were receiving our second payment,Boro were on their first.This was the year when the new structure was agreed,but not yet implemented.As Boro's second payment came in at £15m,they obviously gained extra benefit,because that payment (without the change) should have been a few million less and their final payment.They then go on to receive a further £4m the following year.

Lucky bar stewards.

All extracted from the site linked earlier.This year's figures might give some clue as to the revised structure.

Ah... I never followed that link... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

Welcome to the scary world of football.

Mid table in the prem, Win the League Cup @ Wembley,

Hit a bad run, end up relegated. Within less than 2 years face administration with ten point deduction meaning certain relegation.

Where does all the confetti money go?

Some of my best Brummie pals are Bluenoses. Their only ray of sunshine is the possibility of Villa going down.

Up the Rams!!! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Birmingham have a strong squad, just need to get thier heads together and im sure they will get a play off spot.

Not a chance. The vultures are poised to buy their decent players at knock-down prices - Pompey II.

See they have reduced the asking price for Jack Butland from £6 million to £3.5 million.

Wonder if they will be relegated come the end of the season?

It's a fine balancing act. There are some who are suggesting that the player sales are necessary to avoid administration.

Brum are 5 points clear of the drop zone. It's very possible that their current squad is good enough to keep them clear - but are they good enough to pull 11 points clear allowing for the possibility of administration and the 10 point deduction it brings? Equally, if they sell 2 or 3 key players and avoid administration, are the rest of the squad good enough to keep them clear? A 5 point buffer is nothing when there are 18 games to go.

Welcome to the scary world of football.

Mid table in the prem, Win the League Cup @ Wembley,

Hit a bad run, employ Alex McLeish & end up relegated. Within less than 2 years face administration with ten point deduction meaning certain relegation.

Where does all the confetti money go?

Some of my best Brummie pals are Bluenoses. Their only ray of sunshine is the possibility of Villa going down.

Up the Rams!!! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Fixed that for ya Steve!

Archived