Downt thay teech you yunguns proppa inglish?

knabby crackers

I am presuming that a large proportion of the posters on this forum are teenagers and possibly some just slightly older, I also presume that many did not pay too much attention during English lessons when they were at school.

In my short time on this site I have lost count of the number of times that posters have used the phrase [or similar]

"He would of"

instead of

"He would have"

Don't they realise that "He would of" is meaningless in the context off their usage, the word "of" is a preposition with a meaning of 'belonging to' or 'consisting of', whereas the word "have" is a verb which is a word that expresses the idea of action, happening, being or doing.

Possibly it is not the fault of the posters and is attributable to the teachers they had at their places of education or perhaps they just don't give a jot about speaking and writing PROPER ENGLISH!!

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't find this so amusing if it wasn't for the fact I had to remove the change font option from the editor as people couldn't read his posts because of the silly font used.

Bad grammar however I can deal with as its a forum not a English class.

(I won't apologise for any grammatical errors in this post) 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons//wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Its understandable why people think it is 'would of' because when speaking it does sound a lot like would've. I do however remember my English teacher at school mentioning it specifically and it always stuck I'm my head.

"People couldn't read his posts because of the silly font used"

That excuse would be laughable if it was not so pathetic, the font was no less readable than this one, I suspect the real reason was that you do not encourage individualism.

Actually on Apple based devices it wasn't the font that you were seeing when using the forum on a standard desktop, so no not pathetic at all. Pathetic would be coming on the forum and having a pop at people's grammar.

Wouldn't find this so amusing if it wasn't for the fact I had to remove the change font option from the editor as people couldn't read his posts because of the silly font used.

Bad grammar however I can deal with as its a forum not a English class.

(I won't apologise for any grammatical errors in this post) 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

an English lesson

tut tut

Not fussed how things are spelt, or if grammar is right, its not a big deal, or even worthyof a mention

but i don't do text speak, that's really annoying in a chav way

Archived