7.9m loss to June 2012

davenportram

a stupid question but someone will be able to help!

If our revenue in 2012 was 17,276,000 and our operating costs were 17,073,000 then why is our net loss 7,939,000??

Because they haven't stated admin expenses,profit/loss on player sales/net interest payable,which don't form part of operating costs.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many people own / are investors in the club and what happens if one wants to invest but others don't, or sell for that matter ?

All unknown-investors run into double figures.

The failed strategy of the owners / board in a nutshell. The club is downsizing. The fact that Clough was able to show improvement on the pitch in 11/12 shows the great job he's doing.

I agree with other posters - we haven't got the balance right between spending money and attracting supporters, sponsors, etc. - and the best way of a club of our size to make a profit is in the Premier league.

Thanks!

No probs.It wasn't a stupid question,by the way,it was quite understandable given the way the piece was presented.It had some scratching their heads last year!

Is it though?

Even getting up to the Prem doesn't contain any guarantees, in fact I'd say it was even more perilous than staying mid table in the Championship watching your revenue drop. Very few clubs have made a profit from their stint in the Prem, and the eventual relegation is usually a disaster.

The failed strategy of the owners / board in a nutshell. The club is downsizing. The fact that Clough was able to show improvement on the pitch in 11/12 shows the great job he's doing.

I agree with other posters - we haven't got the balance right between spending money and attracting supporters, sponsors, etc. - and the best way of a club of our size to make a profit is in the Premier league.

As I said last year when people were scoffing at Leicester,it only fails when it's failed,so I'd have to say the same about us.

I said some time ago that I had grave reservations and thought that our starting base (in terms of quality) was too low prior to entering the sustainability phase.I suspect that our owners are going to have to cover losses that might have been better off being invested in a quality player some time ago (hoping team would improve/attendances would rise or at least stabilise/losses would consequently lessen).But that was the gamble not taken.

Is it though?

Even getting up to the Prem doesn't contain any guarantees, in fact I'd say it was even more perilous than staying mid table in the Championship watching your revenue drop. Very few clubs have made a profit from their stint in the Prem, and the eventual relegation is usually a disaster.

Managed right and there is profit to me made, Blackpool 20m and Newcastle 10m are good examples.

WBA are another profitable club, and I think 9 clubs posted a profit including the big boys.

Is it though?

I'm far from convinced that anyone would buy a club of our size for mega bucks even if we got to the Prem.Everton are experiencing great difficulty in attracting investment,and they've got a good team/very good manager.I would have thought the way to make money would be to get a club promoted whilst spending a reasonable amount.

Managed right and there is profit to me made, Blackpool 20m and Newcastle 10m are good examples.

WBA are another profitable club, and I think 9 clubs posted a profit including the big boys.

Times are definitely changing-clubs lower down haven't been spending as much,whilst Sky revenues have risen.

I wonder why all the news today?

Would it make me a wild conspiracy theorist to suggest that something significant is about to happen?

Brayford to go tomorrow and no replacement - fans will understand why money is so tight but Freeman is a fantastic young talent?

I can imagine Rush reporting to the owners after the forum that what would really make the fans happy would be to buy Billy Sharp - loans can be terminated for sales. Has Tyson gone to make room in wage budget for him? - OF course the signing of Sharpe would be financed by the sale of Will Hughes. £8m in for Hughes - £3m out for Sharp owners pocket the rest to partially cover the losses. What good owners we're being by not taking the lot! - which really is a wild conspiracy theory, but I smell something coming.

I wonder why all the news today?

Would it make me a wild conspiracy theorist to suggest that something significant is about to happen?

Brayford to go tomorrow and no replacement - fans will understand why money is so tight but Freeman is a fantastic young talent?

I can imagine Rush reporting to the owners after the forum that what would really make the fans happy would be to buy Billy Sharp - loans can be terminated for sales. Has Tyson gone to make room in wage budget for him? - OF course the signing of Sharpe would be financed by the sale of Will Hughes. £8m in for Hughes - £3m out for Sharp owners pocket the rest to partially cover the losses. What good owners we're being by not taking the lot! - which really is a wild conspiracy theory, but I smell something coming.

All good stuff,Cornwall,but if you've been watching you'd have noticed a trickle of NPC clubs reporting-mostly,no doubt,due to the fact they had to report to the League by 1/1/12.I've been checking CH every couple of days.

I think the timing of the news release of the results was simply chucked in along with some player news which will obviously take the eye of the majority of people meaning the results news post is somewhat overlooked.

The loss is worrying considering we've considerably downsized the squad etc. It does show that the only real way to make money in the championship is selling your younger players for big money.

I think the timing of the news release of the results was simply chucked in along with some player news which will obviously take the eye of the majority of people meaning the results news post is somewhat overlooked.

The loss is worrying considering we've considerably downsized the squad etc. It does show that the only real way to make money in the championship is selling your younger players for big money.

We'd probably be making money (in cash terms,as opposed to headline figure) if attendances reached 30,000ish

I would have thought the way to make money would be to get a club promoted whilst spending a reasonable amount.

I agree. Forget all other revenue. One season in the premier league guarantees you around £100m in revenue over the course of 4 seasons in contractual obligations. Who says you have to throw money at a promoted side like QPR have done. How many players do they pay between £50,000 and £80,000 a week whilst Jamie Mackie contributes so much more for a heck of a lot less.

The sale of Shackell was damaging last summer, imagine what would happen if we sold Hughes and used the money to cover losses.

I agree. Forget all other revenue. One season in the premier league guarantees you around £100m in revenue over the course of 4 seasons in contractual obligations. Who says you have to throw money at a promoted side like QPR have done. How many players do they pay between £50,000 and £80,000 a week whilst Jamie Mackie contributes so much more for a heck of a lot less.

Getting the right balance is key,however.I think we're a tad undercooked.

We'd probably be making money (in cash terms,as opposed to headline figure) if attendances reached 30,000ish

I suppose a big thing that the accounts aren't taking into account is the awaiting profit on disposals that we have on a number of players. Obviously the youth team players don't carry any value and so if Hughes is sold we would be seeing something like a £10m profit on disposal in the accounts meaning a profit in that year almost guaranteed.

The same could be said for the likes of Hendrick, O'Brien etc. Whilst the accounts don't make brilliant reading. The value of the team (most of which is not recognised in the accounts) has increased massively.

Archived