Michael Johnson

networker1884

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players have to take responsibility for themselves. clubs can only do so much - advise, instruct, punish reward. At some point the options run out.

Surely the club would have made him go to the gym daily, if he refused then fine him.

If they done things like this then i take back what i said.

Surely the club would have made him go to the gym daily, if he refused then fine him.

If they done things like this then i take back what i said.

that's kind of what I meant. even if they didn't then it still isn't right to say its down to the club he is an adult after all.

its like saying I put on weight because the Chinese takeaway is si close - its all their fault

I wonder if we're being a little too quick to judge?

OK £40K per week makes the whole thing seem ridiculous, but the article does mention him being signed off. I have read that a couple of his former managers reckoned that his personality was unsuited to being a professional footballer. All that suggests to me that there may well be a mental health issue here. I know it's easy to condemn someone who is earning a king's ransom, but that doesn't make anyone invulnerable to such things, and could concievably make things more difficult. If he were too ill to train etc, then maybe that explains his current appearance.

I think he needs help, going from being a promising young footballer , to struggling with alcoholism and wasting a top flight career will have a masive psychological impact on his life . hope he gets the guidance he needs

I wonder if we're being a little too quick to judge?

OK £40K per week makes the whole thing seem ridiculous, but the article does mention him being signed off. I have read that a couple of his former managers reckoned that his personality was unsuited to being a professional footballer. All that suggests to me that there may well be a mental health issue here. I know it's easy to condemn someone who is earning a king's ransom, but that doesn't make anyone invulnerable to such things, and could concievably make things more difficult. If he were too ill to train etc, then maybe that explains his current appearance.

Some very good points there, CR. If it was hypothryoidism or any other physical disease, I'm 100 % certain it would've been told already... So I would pick those stigmatizing mental problems as the reason, too. Maybe neuroleptics or MAOIs as a medication? It definitely wouldn't need much else. Whatever the reason is, I bet it's a good and very humane one. Hopefully he'll tell it someday.

I don't think it's just the money why he went downhill he had some bad long term injures. I guess if you have nothing to do all day and lots of money in the bank you go and look for things to do like anyone would, he looks like a lot of ex players, sad another young talented player gone to waste.

He told the [url=http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1598238_my-torment-by-city-star-michael-johnson]Manchester Evening News: "I have been attending the Priory Clinic for a number of years now with regard to my mental health and would be grateful if I could now be left alone to live the rest of my life. I am more disappointed than anyone, but that's the way it goes."

Says it all really, he knows what he had, but is probably more interested in getting his life back on track now than getting back into football.

It is sad.

All that money with very little to do is a recipe for disaster.

I was a little quick to judge, it's easy for us to criticise it from our generally normal lives, but to have hundreds of thousands of pounds sitting in the bank at that age with so much free time, i dread to think some of the stuff i would do.

Archived