Clough accommodating players

Stedcfc

That's a very simplistic approach, and like just about every other simplistic approach, demonstrably wrong. If it was the case, then everyone would play 4-4-2 every time. Clearly if both teams play 4-4-2 then both teams would be under pressure all the time, which is nonsense.

In your opinion.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we look better as team with 2 up front, I don't feel Hendrick offers us that much and would rather have someone closer to salmon for when he mis controls it. There are games when you do need to play different or change it of course but on the whole we look a better balanced more threatening team as 442

Who would you play with a 4-4-2? After the midfield dominated large parts of the Bristol game with the 4-5-1 formation, and coming up against a team with a very strong midfield who like to press through the middle, what good reason would you have for going back to 4-4-2?

You can put Jacobs out wide and then drop either Hendrick or Bryson - but what sort of message would that send to Hendrick after finally sorting out his form, only to drop him for a game when you arguably need his best attributes more than ever?

Last time we played two in the centre against a good midfield we put in our worst half an hour of the season and lost the game against Leicester, and only when we packed out the midfield more did we get a foot in the game.

People look at 4-5-1 and panick at their being only one striker, but it really wasn't a negative formation. It was a formation that recognised we couldn't afford to lose in midfield against a good side again, because that's when our fragilities get exposed.

We were in it for the whole game against Hull. It was a damp squib, yes, but right up until the final whistle we were in it and looked as likely to score as them. Don't blame the tactics, the players just weren't playing that well on Friday. Sammon wasn't holding up the ball well nor passing effectively and Jacobs wasn't really getting up there properly, so it really did look like Sammon was up on his own. Hughes was sitting deep but neither Bryson nor Hendrick really got forward enough.

I was far from happy with the performance but we started with exact formation and team I would have picked, and we were competitive against a good side despite the players not putting in a good performance individually.

I am dissapointed with our defending from set pieces though. I think Fielding and Barker are missed in that department.

I didn't have to read much of that Bunny to 'like' it. Spot on.

I think it's a bit simplistic to think the more players you have upfront in a formation the more attacking you'll be.

I think Hull looked average because we made them look average because we were pretty decent.

Had we played 442 with Bryson and Hughes we might of lost by more. Bryson was poor and Hughes looked like he struggled to play at 100% with the early knock. We might of won.

You can't second guess a formation IMO. It's just a formation.

You can ask why Bryson was poor, why it took 3 midfielders so long to support a striker. You can ask why Sammon panicks whenever a ball goes near him.

We'd of lost to Hull and been played off the park last season.

The word is "have", not "of". I do agree with you though. No offence, seriously... it's a annoying in common speech, but it worth pointing out for the future, especially as I've made the same mistake before (more than once).

The word is "have", not "of". I do agree with you though. No offence, seriously... it's a annoying in common speech, but it worth pointing out for the future, especially as I've made the same mistake before (more than once).

You'd of thought I'd of known better considering I was good at English in School.....

Hull are an example of where we need to be. Particularly disappointing after a brief personal lapse in the claws of optimism following an away win but watching Hull (like another poster somewhere states) reminded me of us in our promotion year. Organised and strong with a manager who appears to be on to a winning formula, we're miles away from that in all honesty.

Hull are going up I reckon, we were sloppy twice against them and they punished us both times. The exact same performance against most of the league would have scraped us a victory, but they punished us for being weak.

We also had to think outside the box a little bit to change for them. Still think we did alright though and on another day we would have tested their keeper more.

If Sammon was in form, we would have got something out of that. Hughes may well dictate the pace of our games and have the most talent but I'm increasingly realising that Sammon is as key to our results as anyone else is. When he plays poorly, so do we.

No need to be particularly pessimistic again, that game hasn't changed my view on anything. If you win games like on Friday after our previous performances, you're probably going up automatically. We're not going to win them all.

Last season though a team like Hull would have come to Pride Park and turned us over like Cardiff did. Another area we've slowly but surely improved on.

I'm an English teacher and I concur.. You would of thought that it's pretty obvious given it's a typical future perfect phrase

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

4-4-2 at home

4-5-1 away

Gives us a better chance to win at home, and a better chance of getting something away.

'Win your home matches and draw your away matches and you'll be champions'

Whoever said that is wrong..

With that attitude you'd only finish on 76 points in a regular 20 team league..

That's not enough to even finish 2nd in most leagues.. You would have been 13 points behind the Manchester clubs with that record.. But I think this was said when a win only counts for 2 points?

And it's nigh impossible to win all of your home games.. So a point a game ratio away from home is actually quite an average/poor return especially in a league where anyone can beat anyone

Just to further on that.. Claim 23 points away in the NPC and you need roughly another 52 at home just to make the playoffs... A record of 16-4-3 would do it... I doubt many teams in the NPC will have a home record as good as that.. And to win the league you'd need around 88 points.. So 65 points needed.. a home record of 21-2-0.. Yeh pretty much impossible

Thankfully The forum Is not Howtospeakwriteperfecteenglish.com 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Whoever said that is wrong..

With that attitude you'd only finish on 76 points in a regular 20 team league..

That's not enough to even finish 2nd in most leagues.. You would have been 13 points behind the Manchester clubs with that record.. But I think this was said when a win only counts for 2 points?

And it's nigh impossible to win all of your home games.. So a point a game ratio away from home is actually quite an average/poor return especially in a league where anyone can beat anyone

Just to further on that.. Claim 23 points away in the NPC and you need roughly another 52 at home just to make the playoffs... A record of 16-4-3 would do it... I doubt many teams in the NPC will have a home record as good as that.. And to win the league you'd need around 88 points.. So 65 points needed.. a home record of 21-2-0.. Yeh pretty much impossible

Win at home and draw away in the championship gives you 92 points. (69 at home and 23 away) isn't that enough to win a title?

I say if you win at home and draw away all season you will win the title.

Win at home and draw away in the championship gives you 92 points. (69 at home and 23 away) isn't that enough to win a title?

I say if you win at home and draw away all season you will win the title.

Yes in the Championship.. 92 points probably would be enough..

But that's not to say we should always be happy with a draw away because we all know that there isn't a team out there that has won every home game..

It's a pointless saying because we all know that we won't win every home game.. There isn't a team in Europe that has won every home game.. Cardiff had the best until they lost to Peterborough I think Barca now have the best with one draw..

I'd be very disappointed if we only managed 23 points away from home.. It puts an enourmous amount of pressure on our home games to get maximum points..

Whilst you would expect the manager to make adjustments to an existing system in reaction to unfolding events,you'd really also like to have players who could make adjustments themselves without such intervention.This usually involves experienced players-the fact that our midfield is inexperienced leads me to think that we haven't much chance of top 6 this year (along with the defence).Can this midfield learn these things off their own bats,without playing alongside a battle hardened midfielder? I don't know the answer to that question.

Archived