Dean Saunders interview

CumbrianRam

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved him as a player.....

But last season he was in the directors box with his kid and didn't even clap when we scored.

Sat there like a misery guts.

Ok....he's at doncaster now.....but even so.

Saw him do a guest speaker event once. One of the worst I've seen, just recited how many goals he'd scored everywhere he'd been then told a story about how Brian Clough was always pissed when everyone wanted to sign Deano from us. Seemed very keen on himself.

Having said that he joined derby when I was about 12 and really gave us something playing alongside the vastly underrated Paul Goddard. Great player, can still see that first goal he scored against Wimbledon on his debut

Lawrenson has always disliked the Rams since we signed saunders - about time he got over it....

I never actually met Deano, but he did once try to push past me in a bar (the big old place on Becket Street) - he may have been my hero when he was on the pitch, but he wasn't getting to the bar in front of me.....

In common with Wanchope, Will Hughes, and a select group, Dean Saunders was one of the later players who would have graced the League title winning sides of the 70s.

You'll never beat Des Walker my arse...

Can remember I was in my Nan's backroom when East Midlands news announced we'd signed him for ONE MILLION POUNDS!!! Being 9 or 10 that figure just blew my mind and I ran in to tell my Mum. I was even more excited cus we were going to be at the Wimbledon game for his debut. In fact bar Mr Wanchaope I can't remember a Rams player having a better first game...

Great player. If Messi had scored some of the goals Deano did they'd be shown all over the world for years to come. The on the spin volley, from the edge of the box against Arsenal '89 and that cheeky one where he threw the ball against the keepers back for Shef United spring to mind immediately...

Archived