Random maths

davenportram

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's easy, you have 9 tins..

Weigh 3 on each side, which is 6 (and leaves 3)... If one side is heavier, it leaves 3.. If not, it's one of the remaining 3..

Then weigh 2 of the 3.. (one on each side and the other tin left off) If one tin is heavier the scale will show, if not then it's the remaining tin you have left on the side..

It isn't easy. Behave.

Ooops thought it was a single scale...

Yeah, if you weigh two, if they balance then you have the heaviest can spare. If not then the heaviest is one of those, so you swap one for the other of the three

The lollipop goes to BondJovi

Weighing 1 : 3 tins in each side. If one side drops then the heavy can I'd one if those three. If they balance then it is in one of the three not on the scale

Weighing 2 : once you have the three tins that contains the tin identified weigh any two of them. If these balance it's the tin not in the scales. If one side drops then that is the heavier tin.

That took me 10 seconds to figure out and I hadn't read any of the previous quotes..

OK, next question..

You have a 3 litre jug and a 5 litre jug.. You need exactly 4 litres in total and you can't spill any.. How do you do it.. (you have unlimited water)

Watch Die Hard with a vengeance and it tells you 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

That took me 10 seconds to figure out and I hadn't read any of the previous quotes..

OK, next question..

You have a 3 litre jug and a 5 litre jug.. You need exactly 4 litres in total and you can't spill any.. How do you do it.. (you have unlimited water)

Pour four litres into the 5 litre jug

OK, next question..

That's a good one. It's in die hard. Are they both full?

over fill the 3 litre jug with the 5 litre

OK, next question..

b&m bargains?

That's a good one. It's in die hard. Are they both full?

both start empty.. Yes it's in die hard..

I'll post up another afterwards.. Both my father and brother are engineers so maths and numbers in particular come quite natural to me

One of the most interesting is the variable change test.. So many people don't understand it it's incredible

both start empty.. Yes it's in die hard..

I'll post up another afterwards.. Both my father and brother are engineers so maths and numbers in particular come quite natural to me

One of the most interesting is the variable change test.. So many people don't understand it it's incredible

anyway Dav

give us another.

Fill the five litre jug then pour it into the three litre jug.

Empty the three litre jug

Pour the two litres left in the 5 litre jug into the three litre jug

Then refill the 5 litre jug and pour one litre into the other jug to make it up to 3 litres - leaving 4 litres in the 5 litre jug

Archived