Michael Owen

Fowkesy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a bad signing on pay as you play. Struggle to see how he fits in to the way Stoke play, unless they're trying to change everything now they've signed Adam...

He's gone right down in my estimation for being happy to take a shed load of cash and sit on the bench rather than go out on loan when he was fit at United.

Not a bad signing on pay as you play. Struggle to see how he fits in to the way Stoke play, unless they're trying to change everything now they've signed Adam...

He's gone right down in my estimation for being happy to take a shed load of cash and sit on the bench rather than go out on loan when he was fit at United.

You might want to revise that estimation.

Not only did he take a huge pay cut to join Man Utd, he was also on a pay as you play deal there.

"It was reported by the Press Association that Ferguson has struck a pay-as-you-play deal, with the player also taking a significant salary cut from the £110,000-a-week wages he was said to be on at St James' Park"

You might want to revise that estimation.

Not only did he take a huge pay cut to join Man Utd, he was also on a pay as you play deal there.

"It was reported by the Press Association that Ferguson has struck a pay-as-you-play deal, with the player also taking a significant salary cut from the £110,000-a-week wages he was said to be on at St James' Park"

If he was on pay as you play, why on earth would you sit on the bench?

If he was on pay as you play, why on earth would you sit on the bench?

I quoted you because you claimed he was greedy. He was on a pay as you so clearly earned very little (by a professional footballers standards) during his time with Man Utd.

When a club of that stature comes knocking, you don't say no. In saying that, I am also of the opinion that he would have been better off playing for a club where he would have had more game time so I agree with you.

But he certainly wasn't greedy. He would have likely earned more playing for any of the other Premiership clubs who would (if you read the articles around the time of his transfer) have offered him a standard contract and not a pay as you play deal.

I quoted you because you claimed he was greedy. He was on a pay as you so clearly earned very little (by a professional footballers standards) during his time with Man Utd.

When a club of that stature comes knocking, you don't say no. In saying that, I am also of the opinion that he would have been better off playing for a club where he would have had more game time so I agree with you.

But he certainly wasn't greedy. He would have likely earned more playing for any of the other Premiership clubs who would (if you read the articles around the time of his transfer) have offered him a standard contract and not a pay as you play deal.

Sorry, my post looks a bit sausagetish. I was typing out loud. I was asking why on earth you wouldn't want to be playing, rather than shooting you down. It's obviously right, he was on pay as you play - I'm ill informed 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Just seems strange. I'd love to play as much as I could, and most clubs in the league (probably any outside the top six) would have jumped to have him.

I still think Michael Owen is a legend. When I was a young lad and he was scoring those brilliant goals for England he gave me alot of entartainment for the game.

I can't remember who we were playing, it was at the old Wembley and he'd been out injured for a bit and came on as a sub. Not been on long, scored a cracker from outsied the area. Slap bang into the top corner. Brilliant player, gutted for him that injuries have blighted his career.

Archived