Tom Naylor and Ben Davies could leave before deadline day

Curtains

It seems as though you are complaining about people not allowing to give opinion based on someone giving a different opinion.

No, I am complaining about someone not allowing anyone to have an opinion by basically saying "let the manager decide". Which he ultimately will of course, but the whole point of a forum is to let people voice their opinion. Saying " let the manager decide" is not an opinion it is an inevitability

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being a moderator does not automatically ensure one posts intelligently.

I posted ***** before I was asked to become a moderator and I see no reason why I cannot continue to post *****.

Thank you.

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

And you do it beautifully 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Don't know if this is the right place but I've seen alot of mentions for James O'Connor personally I think he's the worst signing nige has made very poor defender out of position loads looses the ball very easily ect.......

Did you go to the game yesterday? Change your opinion much?

What has Ben Davies done to suffer the wrath of Clough? Aswell as Naylor?

Wrath?

Ideal starting XI as things stand:

Fielding

Brayford

Roberts

Keogh

Buxton

Coutts

Bryson

Hendrick

Hughes

Ward

Sammon

Subs:

Legzdins

O'Connor

Freeman

Doyle

Jacobs

Theo

Tyson

At least by team selections this season. Now, one could certainly argue that it would be worth while chucking Davies on the bench instead of Doyle, but what exactly for? Jacobs is almost certainly the next man in after Hughes and Coutts for that right midfield position, and Ward would play on the left before Davies. In effect:

RM: Coutts

Hughes

Jacobs

Davies

LM: Hughes

Jacobs

Ward

Davies

Where does this leave him then? He can cover in the centre of midfield, but, at least from what I've seen, he's not all that great there. He has good delivery, but ultimately he's not some live wire we can bring on late in the game, he's not a raw young talent either, so what purpose he'd serve of the bench is questionable. Doyle at least has the advantage of being able to play out wide or up front. This all said, I have nothing against Davies, he's a good player and he created a lot of goals last season, but ultimately if there's nowhere for him we should just force him on in there. If he can go out on loan and get some games and keep sharp, surely that would be a positive for him.

As for Naylor:

CB: Keogh

Buxton

O'Connor

O'Brien

Gjokaj

Naylor

RB: Brayford

O'Connor

Freeman

Naylor

Ultimately, he's done the pecking order too. I actually think he's a very useful player, but he needs games at his age and if a loan helps that, all the better for him.

Albert why have you got Buxton in ahead of Oconner I don't see it that way neither does Gerald Mortimer in is DT article yesterday. Oconner should hold his place at CB after his performances. We dipped when Bucko came on and Oconner had to cover at LB against Udinese

Hahahaha...

I knew I forgot something. O'Connor certainly deserves his spot in the side right now, but I'm still almost certain that Buxton is still seen as the first choice partner for Keogh.

The real question I'd have is how much steel has this team got. The purple patch of 2010-11 heralded the worst form we've seen under Nigel and we saw ourselves lucky to be in this division. I like what I've seen so far this season, the side is playing well and its looking good, but be warned, we should not get even close to ahead of ourselves yet. If we've in the mix top 6 come Xmas, if we've still playing as we are, then that's the time to start being really positive about it all.

That said, things have looked good so far, and I do think this side has more about it, and we actually have some depth now. Commons' form was both great and terrible that season, but hey... look at the side now. If we can keep playing like we have, who knows what'll happen.

Ben Davies and probably Tom Naylor would be let got if we'd had an offer IMO. One brief stint aside (start of last season?) Ben hasn't been able to get involved in games despite working his butt off - set pieces alone don't keep you in the team unless you play for LA Galaxy and market your own pants. Tom Naylor I still haven't completely bought into as being the real deal, but admitedly he's got time to improve.

I can't make my mind up whether Bails has blotted his copybook or whether Nige thought he might be a player we could get a fee for without weakening the team, so as to strengthen elsewhere.

The real question I'd have is how much steel has this team got. The purple patch of 2010-11 heralded the worst form we've seen under Nigel and we saw ourselves lucky to be in this division. I like what I've seen so far this season, the side is playing well and its looking good, but be warned, we should not get even close to ahead of ourselves yet. If we've in the mix top 6 come Xmas, if we've still playing as we are, then that's the time to start being really positive about it all.

That said, things have looked good so far, and I do think this side has more about it, and we actually have some depth now. Commons' form was both great and terrible that season, but hey... look at the side now. If we can keep playing like we have, who knows what'll happen.

My biggest gripe with Nigel over the course of his tenure has usually been inconsistency issues. In the past he has tinkered a little too much with winning formulas, and equally seems quite bad at getting a response from the players when the chips are down. This was epitomised by the 2010-11 season.

Don't get me wrong, I like him and would prefer the club to return to the Premier League under his tenure, but the team just haven't been quite consistent enough under him. I'm hoping this year will be the year he finally proves me wrong - he is a 'slow-burner' manager for sure, hence taking 10 years to get Burton promoted.

My biggest gripe with Nigel over the course of his tenure has usually been inconsistency issues. In the past he has tinkered a little too much with winning formulas, and equally seems quite bad at getting a response from the players when the chips are down. This was epitomised by the 2010-11 season.

Don't get me wrong, I like him and would prefer the club to return to the Premier League under his tenure, but the team just haven't been quite consistent enough under him. I'm hoping this year will be the year he finally proves me wrong - he is a 'slow-burner' manager for sure, hence taking 10 years to get Burton promoted.

taking 10 years to get Burton promoted.

False statement is false. At the time Nigel took over Burton were part of the then Southern Premier League (the current equivalent would be the Conference South). He finished runner up in the Southern Premier League in his second and third season with the club during a time in which there was no playoffs and only the top team went up. In his fourth season the side moved to the Northern Premier League where they won the League and hence promotion in the Conference by a 15 point margin.

Burton's promotion season to League Two was Nigel's 7th in charge at that level.

False statement is false. At the time Nigel took over Burton were part of the then Southern Premier League (the current equivalent would be the Conference South). He finished runner up in the Southern Premier League in his second and third season with the club during a time in which there was no playoffs and only the top team went up. In his fourth season the side moved to the Northern Premier League where they won the League and hence promotion in the Conference by a 15 point margin.

Burton's promotion season to League Two was Nigel's 7th in charge at that level.

I mean't the time it took to get Burton into the League. Either way seven years to escape non-league does not strike me as particularly special, though admittedly I know little of the resources he had at his disposal at Burton. I have been told he moved them from the Southern League to the Northern League because the Northern league was an easier division to gain promotion from.

I mean't the time it took to get Burton into the League. Either way seven years to escape non-league does not strike me as particularly special, though admittedly I know little of the resources he had at his disposal at Burton. I have been told he moved them from the Southern League to the Northern League because the Northern league was an easier division to gain promotion from.

Clough said they moved due to playing on Isle of Man (I think) on a Tuesday night and he thought it was absurb

Clough said they moved due to playing on Isle of Man (I think) on a Tuesday night and he thought it was absurb

Well I can only say what I was told, but I got that nugget from a Gresley Rovers fan - reckoned that Gresley Rovers would've gone up that year if Burton hadn't switched leagues or summit along those lines, and that Burton had an overwhelming advantage over the teams in the Northern League due to resources, etc. Like any football fan I'm sure he is a touch bias though, made slightly bitter by the contrast in trajectories of both teams since Burton went up.

Considering that Burton had been in the 6th tier since the late 70s having finished at best in 3rd place before Nigel's arrival, I must say that I think he did alright to get them into the Conference National and then into the Football League.

Well I can only say what I was told, but I got that nugget from a Gresley Rovers fan - reckoned that Gresley Rovers would've gone up that year if Burton hadn't switched leagues or summit along those lines, and that Burton had an overwhelming advantage over the teams in the Northern League due to resources, etc. Like any football fan I'm sure he is a touch bias though, made slightly bitter by the contrast in trajectories of both teams since Burton went up.

Its worth pointing out that Burton had played in the Northern Premier League before and the likely reason they were moved is because of their position. The season before Burton also were within a whisker of promotion in the Southern Premier League:

1. Margate - 91

2. Burton - 88

3. King's Lynn- 65

Also, I don't understand... Gresley Rovers? They weren't even in the division that year.

Found them, during the season in question Gresley Rovers were in the Southern League Division One West, a division down and in the Southern Leagues rather than the Northern ones. I can honestly say I have no idea what they said to you, but I think you may have misheard something or they may have been feeling bitter or otherwise about something that may have never happened.

Its worth pointing out that Burton had played in the Northern Premier League before and the likely reason they were moved is because of their position. The season before Burton also were within a whisker of promotion in the Southern Premier League:

1. Margate - 91

2. Burton - 88

3. King's Lynn- 65

Also, I don't understand... Gresley Rovers? They weren't even in the division that year.

I will have to re-check my facts then. To be frank, I've never looked into it closely enough. The chap who told me is a good friend and I took what he told me at face value as the truth. Seems odd that he'd make a big deal about it if Gresley weren't even in the same league at the time!

Found them, during the season in question Gresley Rovers were in the Southern League Division One West, a division down and in the Southern Leagues rather than the Northern ones. I can honestly say I have no idea what they said to you, but I think you may have misheard something or they may have been feeling bitter or otherwise about something that may have never happened.

Right - can you link me please? I still speak to the guy regularly and might query what the funk he was on about.

Archived