Johnny Russell

Ramchope

Yes...but its a (seemingly) well known fact that Clough did not want Maguire in the first place (he wanted Grant Holt [before he suddenly did well in the prem] but Glick wouldn't buy him....in his wisdom he bought Maguire for Clough instead)....hence the fact that he didn't stay long and has done nothing as far as I'm aware since leaving us. Hopefully, this time, if Russell does arrive it'll be because Clough does want him.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cloughs highlighted targets. Various times Sam Rush has said that Nigel has given him a list and he will do what he can to bring the names in. As you said, Glick, having no knowledge of football never mind the English game, signed players.

Keep the faith, can see this one coming off

Yes...but its a (seemingly) well known fact that Clough did not want Maguire in the first place (he wanted Grant Holt [before he suddenly did well in the prem] but Glick wouldn't buy him....in his wisdom he bought Maguire for Clough instead)....hence the fact that he didn't stay long and has done nothing as far as I'm aware since leaving us. Hopefully, this time, if Russell does arrive it'll be because Clough does want him.

It's not that well known a 'fact' as I've never heard it before in any forum. Genuinely, I hear every 'fact', whether truthful or made-up!!

Clough scouted Maguire for a long time and went public with his admiration.

Your 'fact' is not as well known as the 'fact' about Clough bombing Maguire out of Derby for trying a overhead-volley in training.

It's not that well known a 'fact' as I've never heard it before in any forum. Genuinely, I hear every 'fact', whether truthful or made-up!!

Your 'fact' is not as well known as the 'fact' about Clough bombing Maguire out of Derby for trying a overhead-volley in training.

Don't you find it odd that we signed a striker who mustered a measly 9 goals in the SPL? Even Aberdeen fans were surprised by the signing... 

Wouldn't surprise me to see Forest go in for him tbf 

I only mentioned Forest because he's currently on holiday in Tenerife

Tenerife is one of the Canary Islands

The Spanish name for the Canary Islands is Islas Canarias

Derived from the Latin Canariae Insulae which means "Islands of the dogs"

It was originally only attributed to Gran Canaria (big dogs) but spread to the rest of the chain

It just seems natural that if 'Jack' Russell, named after a dog, is going to go on holiday to a place famous for dogs, then he might perhaps consider playing for them. 

I don't think that it is a "well known fact" but it is true that to quote someone high up in DCFC "The CEO pushed that one through" when asked about Maguire. It is of course also true that they were unhappy with his attitude etc.

Can't believe people are writing him off for being Scottish, because flops have come from there - if we crossed off signing players from all the leagues that flops have come from then we'd have very few places left.. And remember, the likes of Maguire and Porter are actually different people to Russell, funnily enough..

Can't believe people are writing him off for being Scottish, because flops have come from there - if we crossed off signing players from all the leagues that flops have come from then we'd have very few places left.. And remember, the likes of Maguire and Porter are actually different people to Russell, funnily enough..

How dare you state the obvious on here!

I don't think that it is a "well known fact" but it is true that to quote someone high up in DCFC "The CEO pushed that one through" when asked about Maguire. It is of course also true that they were unhappy with his attitude etc.

Who is that then ?

Or is this story made up to cover a bad signing, i suppose it was the tea lady who signed Martin ?

Always suspected that Tyson was more to do with Glick than Nigel .   Just a feeling  -and a remark passed on a forum by somebody with internal connections.    And of course the Directors went out on a limb and bought a striker who Billy pointedly refused to play.

I've seen it with many players who did well up there not being able to hack it down here.

Eoin Jess

Stevie Crawford

Anthony Stokes

Kris Boyd

Chris Porter

Conor Sammon

to name a few.. why will Russell be any different?

do you mean in the premier league? As I don't see why sammon's on the list if you mean championship, he's as valuable a member as any person on the team and probably contributes more than any of the players on the pitch.

There's a massive difference in writing someone off for being Scottish, and telling people to NOT get carried away with ability simply because someone is doing well in Scotland.

Archived