Protein

Day

Have been looking at the Whey Protein, 24.g per shake Maximuscle stuff, £24 for a tub of around a kilo think it was. Never been a massive fan of milk shakes, always find them a bit sickly, need to find some smaller tubs to sample first I think.

I don't really snack anymore, been on a 1800 calorie diet to lose the weight and the other night went on one of those BMI machines, came out 23% body fat and a allowance of 3000 calories a day to maintain weight, problem is at the moment I'm struggling to reach 1800 for some reason.

You be careful, you'll end up anorexic. Not wanting to eat over that tiny amount, when you've been told to up it to 3000 must be an early warning sign?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a case of not wanting to, a case of not being able to unless I just eat junk food. I know I need to eat to help muscle growth/recovery and at the same time trying to pack in the protein. Get one of those Tesco packs of 2 chicken breasts wrapped in bacon or summart and I can't even finish that.

Been on 1800 for so long me stomach struggles to get past it

I know a body builder that steams everything, I asked him why but I can't remember what he said now. Think he was banned from a couple of competitions though so maybe that's why he looks grotesque?

Me on the other hand.... Im a chubby type of ripped, a Bavies if you like. Luckily I don't really have to think about what I eat, never been in a proper gym. I got 850 on the punch machine in Yates once but I'm no B4... bet he's a tank, ask him?

What you aiming for Daveo? A Vin Diesel or a Robin Hood?

I use Optimum Health 100% Whey Protein, was an offer on a while back (Discount Supplements) for two 2.25kg tubs for £49.99, I bought £100's worth so now have four massive tubs sat in my garage. I injured myself shortly afterward so not touched the stuff since! A normal tub is about £28 I think for 2.25kg, does the trick, I'm sure serious bodybuilders wouldn't touch it but suits my needs.

Sure you've seen me moaning about it on Twitter Daveo 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> But here are a few tips I've used for protein/muscle gain etc.

• Don't use Maxi-muscle, a load of crap.
  • You need to eat more calories then you burn. You can't put on muscle without fat and vice-versa you can't lose fat without a bit of muscle.
  • Look into "Starting-Strength", excellent beginner program.
  • Don't bother with cardio, its pap.
  • I get my supps from Monster-supplements - take a look at PHD Synergy for muscle gain. 2 Shakes a day will be 500kcals, 10g of creatine, over 70g protein.
  • Try and eat 1g of protein for every lb you weigh and only consume 200kcals a day over your maintenance figure.
  • Eggs and wholemeal toast for brekky, red meat and greens for a meal, chicken and nuts every day will work a treat!

Hope it helps a little!

How do I know how many calories I burn lifting weights?

I can find my basic burn based on nothing but living for my height and weight but everything I've read suggests it's impossible to calculate calorie burn for weights.

My maintain is 3000, which is impossible so looks like got no choice but to get on the supplements.

Will look at everywhere that has been suggested in this thread, will probably end up trying a few. Bit late on the Maximuscle, ordered a tub this morning but will deffinately look at the others mentioned.

Thanks everyone

How do I know how many calories I burn lifting weights?

I can find my basic burn based on nothing but living for my height and weight but everything I've read suggests it's impossible to calculate calorie burn for weights.

My maintain is 3000, which is impossible so looks like got no choice but to get on the supplements.

I burn around 400-450 calories for a typical 50 min intense weight lifting workout. I'm 6ft 3 15.5 stone. I imagine give or take 50 kcals you're in the same ballpark.

• Eggs and wholemeal toast for brekky, red meat and greens for a meal, chicken and nuts every day will work a treat!

I tried the nuts, I was ploughing through 1kg of nuts per week. Used to get the 500gram bag of mixed nuts from the Co-op for £2.99 (before I realised you could get a 400gram bag from Asda for £2). I was eating almost 5000Kcals from nuts ontop of my normal diet per week. The fat went straight to my stomach! Problem I have is a big torso with big ish upper arms but skinny legs and foreams, I have to try and lose weight in one area and gain weight in another- never works, f***king genetics!

Archived