I feel like I have failed at life.....

GeneralRam

[size=3]First of all apologies for this but I would rather not have this moan to people I actually know...[/size]

[size=3]I am 24 and got **** all to show for it. I still act like I am an 18 year old - left behind from people who have moved on with their lives - people are moving in together, getting married, having littleuns and growing up. Me? I have just came back from Ibiza 3 days early, because I have got evicted from my hotel for breaking a lads nose (He hit me first and I retaliated, but because I spilt blood all over the hotel I had to go). So what am I going to be doing for the next year of my life? Oh yeah, working Mon-Fri, saving up and looking forward to another half a holiday I will probably mess up some way or another.[/size]

[size=3]What do I spend my money on back home? Latest phones, computers and that. By this age I should have a house, a girlfriend etc - I should have flown the nest, gone on my own little way and be moaning about the bills I have to pay rather than my £50 a week board and £5 a month phone. [/size]

[size=3]Go out and get a girlfriend you say? Yeah I can go do that - at this moment in time I have got the ex crying asking for me back, but I can't go and do it - why? Because I was meeting her best mate 2 weeks prior to her deciding she wanted me back - it'll be disrespectful to them both if I do anything with either of them now. Me and the ex split up 5 months ago - I honestly thought she saw me as nothing - fair enough, I played with fire and I got burnt. On the subject of girlfriends - I wouldn't say I have had a proper girlfriend at all, I haven't had one last longer than 6 months - I am just once of those sad ******* who has one nighters week in, week out and never sees them again.[/size]

[size=3]To sum it all up I've woke up this morning feeling like a **** up. I do the same thing day in, day out. Work in the week and piss it all up at the weekend. I honestly just feel like selling everything I own and turning up at the airport, buying a random flight and just seeing where life takes me. I am just sick of it. I'd appreciate if I didn't get messages saying im a **** etc - I think I have realised that myself.[/size]

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't have to be in a certain situation by a certain age. I certainly wasn't ready for kids at 24. If you want to change your life, you can do it best through education. Learn new things, me new people, it could lead to a new hobby, job, wife, life.

You've recognised your situation and that is half the battle. If you want more specific advise, PM me.

You don't have to be in a certain situation by a certain age. I certainly wasn't ready for kids at 24. If you want to change your life, you can do it best through education. Learn new things, me new people, it could lead to a new hobby, job, wife, life.

You've recognised your situation and that is half the battle. If you want more specific advise, PM me.

Half the problem is - I am in the IT sector with a good job and good promotion prospects. I have a Comp Sci degree. As I said I have thought about getting a plane ticket and sodding off - but my place has invested a lot of time and effort with me - I feel like I owe them.

Half the problem is - I am in the IT sector with a good job and good promotion prospects. I have a Comp Sci degree. As I said I have thought about getting a plane ticket and sodding off - but my place has invested a lot of time and effort with me - I feel like I owe them.

Education isn't all about work and earning more money. Maybe travel to somewhere different. Travelling and working in Africa and Asia broadened my horizons.

mate i was partying every night until i was 29 , then settled down with wife & kids ,, 24 is no age , you have time to settle down why the rush,, and if your worried about not having anything , stop buying phones computors ect and start a savings account then by the time you are ready to settle down you will have a nest to fall back on ,, keep ya chin up and enjoy the life you have

I wouldn't worry mate, I know loads of lads (over 30) that have moved back in with mam and dad and still go up town every Friday and Saturday night looking for a girl smashed enough to take them back to theirs (obviously) and If they don't find one, have a punch up in the rain.

There's two sides, I get "you're fookin boring mate, you think you're johnny concrete with you're house, girlfriend and meals out" Sometimes I think, you know what, I'd love to go Ibiza/Napa/Magaluf again with the lads and chat girls back to the hotel. Then I think sod it, best make dinner before she gets in and I go to work...

You'll get there in your own time, but where is there? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

A year or two ago, i suddenly realised, that everything we do in life is pointless, has no meaning and whether you're a crack addict or a millionaire businessmen it all ends the same for everyone.

All of your problems dont matter, they're not even worth worrying about.

Think about what you enjoy doing in life, you should do the things you enjoy as much as possible, cos you aint gunna get a second chance to do them. If you dont like your job, work hard to do something you like, 'find a job you love and you'll never have to do a days work in your life'.

Too many people live as if they're never going to die, me included in that, but you need to fight your fears and worries and just do **** you want to do. If you want to sell all your stuff and fly off somewhere, do it, you never know when your time is up, so just enjoy yourself.

At 24, I was working as a lab rat in Berkshire thinking WTF am I doing with my life. I had few friends down there as all I did was work long hours with colleagues who were generally twice my age or older. The pay was average, I had a 1 bed flat and the work was mind numbing. I had few career prospects other than potentially climbing to lab supervisor in 10 years as I was only a Bsc then. I yearned for my old social life but at the same time started attending friend's engagement parties etc. and felt like I was being left behind. I was utterly depressed.

A year and a half later, the company out-of-the-blue offered to fund me as a postgrad and unbeknownst to me shortly afterward I met my future wife, a beautiful aspiring barrister. I couldn't believe my luck. I've since learned that life deals you a lot of **** and there are so many times you feel at a dead end then an opportunity just arises out of thin air. You don't even know it until you look back with hindsight and see that life hinges on loads of chance meetings and lucky breaks.

I might come across as serious and boring on here but I wasn't too dissimilar to yourself years ago. I didn't have a clean police record, I liked a drink (still do) and couldn't hold down a serious relationship. My whole life outside of work was messy and I relied heavily on just having a knack for the job I was doing. I still have regrets and have made sacrifices over the years, particularly when you have a partner you'll do anthing for, you have to compromise some of your own dreams to make them happy. You'll be fine, time is on your side. I was bricking it at your age too, you're not unique.

Honestly you sound like a typical, disengaged young adult of this era. Just like me. I'm working in the ffing meats department at a big supermarket chain hoping to climb up into an assistant manager position in the next year so they'll pay for me to finish my schooling in which I shoot myself in the foot to begin with so now I can only look forward to working in supermarket management for the rest of my life. I don't have the grades for a research job and I don't want to work in quality assuarance or for the USDA in a cold meat packing plant in the middle of nowhere for the rest of my life. At least you have a degree, a job, and decent prospects. I have none of that. But seriously, I feel your pain. We all want to 'sod' off but responsibility and stuff gets in the way.

[size=3]Thanks for all the replies all - a lot of sense has been said and has gotten through -[/size]

[size=3]First step for me today - is to be honest with the ex and her mate and just call it off with them both - without getting them two to fall out. Oh I also forgot to mention I got with another girl she knows in Ibiza that I will have to call it off with, she seen some pictures and went barmy - and was going into town to have it out with her. Managed to calm her down about it though. Another tick to add to the I am a c**t checklist.[/size]

[size=3]Nights out are going to be cut down - instead of going out to the local clubs etc - I am going to try a few down the local, I am going to drive too - so will be drinking coke.[/size]

[size=3]A year or so ago I started hitting the gym as I was a fat lazy ****. Now I have dropped the lbs I have always wanted to learn myself a martial art/do boxing - going to look into what places do that around here as well as go to the gym.[/size]

[size=3]Those are my short term goals anyway. I'll see how I get on.[/size]

Nothing matters in life, we all end up dead ( although ROK is working on that 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> ) All that really should matter is if you are happy or not. My advice is if you aren't happy, sit down and think about what you truly want and endeavour towards that goal which will make you happy. My life for an 18 year old is I think rather good, I am happy and even though I am not enthralled by normal things I am happy. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I am soon to be 24. Scares the hell out of me. The last six months of my life have been some of the worst, yet as has been said, out of the darkness came light. In september I am moving out to do a PGCE, first time I will have lived anywhere other than with parents. I can't wait, but up until a month ago I thought I was heading for another year of wasting. For me, I finally feel I am actually going somewhere in life. I am one of these people who has got by without ever really working hard, downside is, I should have been in this position three years ago. I have to change that and I want to. All I would like now is some delightful lady to share my adventures with. I actually think one of the turning points was last summer, I was at my brothers wedding, I was chatting to this girl and her boyfriend (who had a top job, something fancy) shot me down infront of a few people. Made me feel incredibly small, I had no pride. Never again do I want that.

I honestly do not think you have failed. It is very easy to get into a negative spiral and hard to break out. You can change your life anytime you want, you just have to do it and believe you can. I do think it is tough for our generation, but if ever there were dreams and things to chase, do it. What awaits around the corner, who knows.

I actually think one of the turning points was last summer, I was at my brothers wedding, I was chatting to this girl and her boyfriend (who had a top job, something fancy) shot me down infront of a few people. Made me feel incredibly small, I had no pride. Never again do I want that.

Funny how life works. Defining moments, little comments or actions which can spark massive change. If you ever meet him again, you ought to buy him a beer...and then chuck it all over it him.

Best of luck, leaving home is massive. Even in my run down flat at your age I was far happier than when I was back with parents, could never take myself seriously as a man until I left.

Hey BondJovi good luck with the PGCE. Just finished mine. It's hard work but worth it. You will have done great times on it - and some horrendous times too.

I'm 34 and over the past 10 months I cried more than the previous 33 years put together.

GeneralRam - life has a way of showing us what to do. When the time is right things cone along. It happened for me to allow me move into teaching - the perfect storm of circumstance, restructuring and being a union rep in my old job allowed me to plan my escape.

Archived