Overdraft charges after being paid late. What can I do?

Perky1106

Basically I started a new job last month and was due to be paid on the 29th June. I signed off from JSA obviously due to starting working so I was a little short of money.

I was in a bad situation where I had just less than £1 available balance in my account but this was on the 28th June. I was expecting to be paid on the 29th June and I knew my phone bill of £25 was coming out on the same day so I thought it would be ok.

But what happened was everyone at work was paid except me! I went to the HR dept and all my bank details were right etc so it wasn't my fault. Someone at the payroll up in Scotland had made an admin error so I had to wait till the Monday after (1st July) to be paid.

The problem is I've now been charged £22 for the three days I was overdrawn and this is due to come out on the 31st July.

This wasn't my fault so I feel a bit robbed. Could I explain to HSBC (while threatening to move my money somewhere else) that it wasn't my fault and demand they rescind the charge? Or should I claim that my work reimburse the charge?

I'm not sure of any legal/smallprint stuff but isn't it part of most employers' contracts that they agree to pay you on time?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go in the bank and ask to see an advisor/account manager. Explain exactly what happened and ask him/her if they can help you out by cancelling the charge on this occasion and is there an account available with a small free overdraft facility in case of any further problems. Be nice, smile, but if you get no luck ask very nicely if you could speak to someone higher up.

There's a good chance that they'll help you out as the banks are desperate to show they are not all rapacious, evil, thieving, cheating, rate-fixing, tax-dodging scumbags.

You got banks in England where they help you ? I'm moving there. Here they do everything they can to screw you.

You deserve it for drinking japanese beer. Hope your arse looks like their flag in the morning.... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Go in the bank and ask to see an advisor/account manager. Explain exactly what happened and ask him/her if they can help you out by cancelling the charge on this occasion and is there an account available with a small free overdraft facility in case of any further problems. Be nice, smile, but if you get no luck ask very nicely if you could speak to someone higher up.

There's a good chance that they'll help you out as the banks are desperate to show they are not all rapacious, evil, thieving, cheating, rate-fixing, tax-dodging scumbags.

I bank with HSBC, a bank that knowingly allowed massive drug cartels to launder money made on the back of the pillaging and murder of people in Mexico.

I bank with HSBC, a bank that knowingly allowed massive drug cartels to launder money made on the back of the pillaging and murder of people in Mexico.

Thats probably the least morally repulsive thing they've done!

Ne'er mind Joe, the chaps in the local branches will have been told to be uber-friendly atm. Get in and charm their little asses into stopping the charges - its defo worth a go.

Go into a branch, I've had issues with HSBC after it randomly blocked any payments into one my accounts for 1 month sending me overdrawn. I tried ringing up several times and ended up going backwards and forwards with those robotic Indians. Sorted in 5 mins at my local branch with all charges recredited.

Archived