Paul Coutts

matty1

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's my view as well but I wondered if being local Preston Ram knows much......................

Sounds like he just wants to have go. He doesn't match up with the Preston fans seem to think, or the managers who want him.

As always you never know 'til he's in a a Derby shirt.

why would we buy him and let bailey go, makes very little sense

and with the possibility that clough has a no-nonsense line on his players, and there seems to be a non-footballing reason coutts is transfer listed is a bad idea by derby or a bad article by the mirror?

why would we buy him and let bailey go, makes very little sense

and with the possibility that clough has a no-nonsense line on his players, and there seems to be a non-footballing reason coutts is transfer listed is a bad idea by derby or a bad article by the mirror?

If we can sell Bailey for not than we spend then good ( ie cover player replaced by cheaper cover player)

Ward was outcast at the blades due to non footballing reasons - was he a bad idea too

coutts will be cheaper, and prob on wages to, ward wasn't a bad idea, im just saying its a risk and as we odviously lack funds, is it a risk we should be taking?

Clough's hinted Bailey wants to be a starter each week and if not he won't sign an extension. Understandable.

If he can leave for free next year Clough is going to see if someone will buy him so we can sign someone else who will want to be here and fight for a place. Understandable.

I like him and will be sad if he goes, but I'll understand why.

Clough's hinted Bailey wants to be a starter each week and if not he won't sign an extension. Understandable.

If he can leave for free next year Clough is going to see if someone will buy him so we can sign someone else who will want to be here and fight for a place. Understandable.

I like him and will be sad if he goes, but I'll understand why.

Hold on a minute, Clough said he wouldnt sign an extension, when was this ?

Clough added: "James was a signing who did well - especially in his first season. A couple of injuries have set him back but no one could predict Jeff would come as good as he has so soon.

"And Will Hughes will be there or thereabouts next season so it's unfortunate that James is sort of surplus."

Clough's certainly mentioned Bailey's contract as being part of the reason, he's only got a year left and we'd rather sell him now and get the cash than lose him for nothing. I don't recall it ever being made clear if Bailey had refused to sign one or if we weren't willing to offer him one. I'd expect he'd be after a pay rise though as he's probably on a relatively low wage having come from league 2.

Probably a replacement for Bailley should he leave.

From what we can gather, this chap is pretty talented but with a god awful attitude. You certainly don't get stripped of the captaincy and lamented by your manager in public unless something is seriously up.

Very much doubt we'd change to 4-3-3. The partnership of Hendrick and Bryson was one of the best things to come from last season and I doubt Clough will want to disrupt the balance by adding another central midfielder in there. Plus we hardly have enough central midfielders to cover as it is.

Further evidence that he is in talks. Personally I'm very happy with this, he looks like he's highly regarded by Preston fans, and the fee sounds like a steal.

[url=http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end-news/derby-closing-in-on-pne-star-coutts-1-4736067]http://www.lep.co.uk...outts-1-4736067

Preston North End midfielder Paul Coutts is edging closer to a move to Derby County.

The Scotsman held talks with the Rams yesterday and was resuming them today as he eyes a return to the Championship.

Coutts is one of eight members of the squad who North End are inviting offers for – the incoming transfer fees and freeing up of space on the wage bill will help ease the Deepdale coffers.

Those eight players are training apart from the remainder of the squad for the time being, with few expected to have a long-term future at PNE.

Derby are looking to strengthen their midfield, and have money to spend after receiving a fee of around £1m for the sale of centre-half Jason Shackell to Burnley.

They are the second Championship outfit who have been in for Coutts this summer, the 23-year-old having turned down a move back to former club Peterborough last month.

If a move to Derby was to be sealed, it could trigger some further incoming transfer business at North End to add to the deals completed earlier in the close season.

[size=2](Article continues, but regarding Preston not Derby)[/size]

Probably a replacement for Bailley should he leave.

From what we can gather, this chap is pretty talented but with a god awful attitude. You certainly don't get stripped of the captaincy and lamented by your manager in public unless something is seriously up.

Very much doubt we'd change to 4-3-3. The partnership of Hendrick and Bryson was one of the best things to come from last season and I doubt Clough will want to disrupt the balance by adding another central midfielder in there. Plus we hardly have enough central midfielders to cover as it is.

Wasn't it do with the Sheff Wed team sheet fiasco? A one off incident that caused a rift isn't the same as an attitude problem. Jamie Ward definitely has an attitude problem, he's got major small man syndrome. I wouldn't trade him though.

More info here now:

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-16529630-detail/story.html

SCOTTISH midfielder Paul Coutts is on Derby County's radar as they search to bolster their squad ahead of the new season.

Derby have asked about Coutts, who has a year to run on his contract at Preston North End.

He is seen as a possible replacement for Paul Green on the right side of midfield.

Preston chairman Peter Ridsdale has confirmed Derby's interest in the player, who turns 24 later this week.

"I've had a telephone call from Derby about Paul," said Ridsdale. "It was an inquiry at this stage rather than an offer. That might lead to them making a bid but it's up to Derby."

Coutts is available for transfer.

He is currently one of eight Preston players who received a text message from manager Graham Westley last week to inform them they would not be training with the rest of the first-team squad.

Coutts' former club, Peterborough United, are interested in taking him back to London Road and Birmingham City are also keen.

He was Preston captain until Westley criticised his attitude and stripped him of the armband in February.

But Coutts' ability has been praised.

When he was linked with Hull City last month, former Tigers and Rams manager Phil Brown described him as a Premier League player in the making.

"Paul is a cracking player and at the moment he's playing in a level that's beneath him," said Brown.

"The Championship is certainly not beyond him and I think he could go even further.

"He plays in central midfield but can also go right or left as well and he would bring bags of energy to any side."

Coutts was a youth player at his home town club, Aberdeen, before he joined Cove Rangers in the Highland League.

Peterborough signed him on a three-year deal in July 2008. He played 60 games for Posh and helped them to win promotion from League One in his first season at the club.

Coutts signed for Preston in January 2010 when Peterborough boss Darren Ferguson was in charge at Deepdale. He has made 86 appearances for North End and scored five goals.

I don't know a lot about him, in fact I know nothing just what I've read. PNE and Posh fans seem to rate him, Hull wanted him, he's got experience at this level, versatile and cheap apparently. Only downside is he's Scottish but we can ignore that bit. Ticks a few boxes and we need to bolster the midfield, I'd prefer players like these coming in than the so called young future Prem superstars on loan.

I won't be dancing in the street but I'll be happy if he signs.

Archived