Steve Nicholson Telegraph article

AndyB

An excellent article, absolutely spot on...

The sale of defender Jason Shackell by Derby County has outraged many Rams [url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Derby-County-fans-fury-understandable-Jason/story-16504572-detail/story.html#][size=1]supporters[/size]. Here Telegraph chief football writers Steve Nicholson looks at the summer storm at the Rams.

This summer should have been straightforward for Derby County, a drama-free period ahead of the 2012-13 [url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Derby-County-fans-fury-understandable-Jason/story-16504572-detail/story.html#][size=1]Championship[/size] campaign. Twelfth place last season was the club's highest finish in a table in five seasons and the third-best finish in 13 campaigns. Sixty-four points was their third-best tally in 16 seasons and they finished closer to the top six than they did the bottom three, which had not been the case since promotion was won in 2006-7. And progress ran deeper than just points and places. New signings made significant contributions, none more so than midfielder Craig Bryson who cleaned up when the various player-of-the-year awards were handed out. Defender Jason Shackell ran Bryson close for the top-player prize and others like [url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Derby-County-fans-fury-understandable-Jason/story-16504572-detail/story.html#][size=1]goalkeeper[/size] Frank Fielding would be happy with their first season at Pride Park.

Of the 10 signings made by Nigel Clough last summer, 70% came off to varying degrees, while it is unfair to totally judge striker Nathan Tyson until he is fully fit. Tyson looked sharp in pre-season before he was struck by persistent groin problems. He regained some sharpness towards the end of the season, as those who saw him unsettle defences in the games at Leeds United and Cardiff City will agree. If a player needs a goal, it is Tyson, and just one could spark him. A 70% "hit" rate is good for a manager, and Clough's record stands up to scrutiny especially given the market in which he has to shop. Think of Bryson, Shackell, Fielding, Shaun Barker and John Brayford – Clough has demonstrated that any transfer cash handed to him or generated by him is spent wisely.

It has not been an easy task because spending a few hundred thousand pounds on players and improving them, as Clough has done with Theo Robinson and Jamie Ward, is more difficult and more of a gamble than splashing out millions on recognised, established talent. Last season, we also saw the further development of Academy graduates such as Jeff Hendrick and Mark O'Brien. Hendrick was one of the stories and successes of the season. The conclusion from the campaign was that Derby took steps forward but they were not quite good enough to stay in the top six where they spent the first three months.

League tables do not lie. In order to take the next step, the squad needs strengthening this summer. The widely-held view in May was that three or four additions would give the Rams an excellent chance of progressing. Given that, and given the encouraging foundations laid, the summer should have been straightforward. But this is Derby County.

The lid came off last week when Shackell was sold to Championship rivals Burnley for £1.1m.

The transfer enraged supporters and the dust has yet to settle. E-mails from irate fans flooded in. As a newspaper, we seek balance in stories but none of the many, many views aired backed the sale.

Shackell was a key figure last season. He was ever-present at the heart of the back four and stood in as skipper for the injured Barker.

The enormous blow of being without Barker for all of this coming season makes Shackell's departure all the more galling for fans. Their anger is understandable.

Shackell enjoyed an impressive first season at the club although I had to smile at the sobering view of one fan who attempted to quieten the uproar when he said "it's Shackell we have sold, not Franz Beckenbauer!".

The biggest disappointment is not necessarily who has been sold but that one of the first-team regulars from last season has left.

Derby needed only three or four new faces and this summer was always going to be about how far the club's owners would push the boat out in an attempt to land those new faces without losing a "star" name.

The emphasis in the last three years has been on tidying up and tightening the club's finances and cutting the wage bill. All very commendable and necessary in these tough days for [url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Derby-County-fans-fury-understandable-Jason/story-16504572-detail/story.html#][size=1]football[/size][size=1]clubs[/size].

However, clubs the size of Derby County must also strike a balance where size of wage bill and investment on players keeps them competitive in the Championship and being competitive means challenging for the top six.

Size of wage bill does not always come out on top in a one-off game but it usually makes a difference over the course of a season.

Derby, unusually for them, have declined to reveal the size of their wage bill for the coming season, which suggests it has fallen again.

Clough has shaped a younger, more hungry, more energetic squad which has provided encouragement. It would be a great shame if the foundations were not built on.

Derby may have finished in the top half but that is no guarantee of further improvement. Each season is a [url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Derby-County-fans-fury-understandable-Jason/story-16504572-detail/story.html#][size=1]new[/size][size=1]challenge[/size] for clubs. Fine tuning of the squad coupled with sensible investment is the way forward especially when a club is looking to climb the league ladder.

Derby stressed continually that they did not have to sell this summer but that never carried convincing weight.

Turn the clock back to April when the club announced a loss of £7.7m in the previous financial year. Chief executive Tom Glick, when asked about new signings this summer, said it would be a case of juggling the squad, a clear indication that players had to be moved out before others came in.

All the signs since have pointed to Derby trying to raise funds in order to land their own transfer targets.

Moving on fringe players is necessary to free up space in the wage bill and supplement any transfer kitty. Chris Maguire has joined Sheffield Wednesday, Lee Croft has gone on a season-long loan to Oldham and Miles Addison appears to be Bournemouth-bound.

But fringe players are one thing, key first-team players another.

Supporters are bitterly upset because they believe Shackell has been sold to raise funds for new faces, funds they feel should be provided by the owners/investors and not generated by moving on the better players.

The fans' fear was supported by Shackell himself who said Derby were keen to cash in on him to help improve other areas of the team.

The time to judge the squad is not now but when the season kicks off next month because signings are being lined up. The supporters, however, are not happy.

They are also puzzled and disappointed by the size of fee received for Shackell and have been quick to recall Glick's quotes last month when he said: "Simply put, Jason is an essential player for us. He's a top player in the Championship and a leader, so it would take a lot to pry him away from Derby."

All players have a price, including better players than Shackell, who joined the Rams from Barnsley in a reported £750,000 deal a year ago.

Had Derby doubled their money on him or better, their case would have been stronger.

But £1.1m?

The fans' anger was further fuelled when the fee was "undisclosed", a term football clubs all too readily hide behind these days.

Tagging a fee as "undisclosed" is an insult to supporters and should be scrapped.

Fans deserve to know how much their club splashes out and receives in transfer fees.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the DT last week there was a whole page on letters from disgruntled fans too who reckon they've been short changed by the board - They must be aware of the obvious bad feeling from paying supporter's it's caused, but will they really be bothered by opinions? I don't think so, it's a business isn't it at the end of the day and they have no room for sentiment.

I think that they must have had someone lined up to come in as a replacement straight away, but for some reason it's not happened yet, or more likely by now, it's fallen through.

This is a PR disaster and I can't see it being something they didn't think about. It's not how GSE roll.

I suspect they wanted to get the timing right on the out and in, but with the in falling through, they didn't want to risk losing the offer from Burnley.

I'm getting a bit fed-up of checking Newsnow several times a day and not seeing any news of a central defender being signed.

Also, I'm not one of these people that demands the board do anything. It's a business, however sentimental and emotive the context. If you have the money, buy it and then run it yourself. Comments like "we should have £2m to spend" and "invest or sell up" drive me crazy. The only power you have is to not buy the product, but not enough people take that option when they're pissed off.

I'm frustrated, I'm annoyed and the old "for an undisclosed fee" routine is highly irritating!

Why do fans deserve to know how much players are bought and sold for? What business is it of those of the finances of the company? Do we deserve to know the ins and outs, wages, finances and products bought and sold of Microsoft for example?

Why do fans deserve to know how much players are bought and sold for? What business is it of those of the finances of the company? Do we deserve to know the ins and outs, wages, finances and products bought and sold of Microsoft for example?

I agree, but still find it irritating!

drgoodspeak i think that is a spot on point you make about the timing not being quite right!!! judging by a lot of fans reactions the board could have deflected a lot of the criticism being levelled at them if they had a replacement ready to step out at pride park the next day. I dont think anybody is really expecting a marquee signing but a "young hungry" possibly league 1 player or from the scottish leagues would have gone a long way to quell the disquiet right away. You would have still got people who complained we hadn't signed pepe from real madrid or chiellini from juve !!!! but the timing on these deals has gone tits up and we are all left poring over the papers and websites searching desperately for any little bit of news on futute deals!!! I still dont think its time to panic just yet but im also hoping for some transfer activity soon!!!!

I think that they must have had someone lined up to come in as a replacement straight away, but for some reason it's not happened yet, or more likely by now, it's fallen through.

Just once I'd love to see us sign someone BEFORE we let a player go.

There's emotional investment in a club.

There's also a case of 'throwing your money away' aswell.. Call me a glory supporter but I wouldn't pay a ticket to watch us play awful hoofball against other teams just as bad..

I understand those who pay for away days as the trip itself to another city can be exciting.. But imagine having a season ticket for someone like Coventry and only watching home games.. What exactly are they paying for?

There's also a case of 'throwing your money away' aswell.. Call me a glory supporter but I wouldn't pay a ticket to watch us play awful hoofball against other teams just as bad..

I understand those who pay for away days as the trip itself to another city can be exciting.. But imagine having a season ticket for someone like Coventry and only watching home games.. What exactly are they paying for?

Obviously they have a different mindset to you Bris and follow their team through thick and (very) thin. Theres lots of different catagories of football fans I suppose.

Aslong as football remains affordable and Derby County don't sell their soul, I'd happily watch us in any division or through any style of play.

Obviously they have a different mindset to you Bris and follow their team through thick and (very) thin. Theres lots of different catagories of football fans I suppose.

Aslong as football remains affordable and Derby County don't sell their soul, I'd happily watch us in any division or through any style of play.

What exactly do you pay to see? I mean do you pay for the atmosphere regardless of the teams? Do you pay for the comfort of Pride Park? Is it a day out with your mates (or away from the missus)? Do you watch the games for the entertainment side? Do you watch games to analysize the football?

There are many motives to watch a game..

I love football in general, I watch games from all over the world and I like to look at games from a coaches perspective.. I can find pieces of magic in almost any game be it from an outfield player or a tactical switch..

But I honestly wouldn't pay money to watch the same team (as a fan) over and over again if I didn't enjoy what I was seeing.. I do question those that go who only sit there and complain about everything.. As in what is the point if you're not being entertained.. If you can think of better things to do on a Saturday afternoon, I question why those same people still go regardless..

But to a lot of fans their club is a part of them like a family member or pet. There is an emotional attachment. In this case it is completely different to a Microsoft. Their club is their club for life and that will never change.

What exactly do you pay to see? I mean do you pay for the atmosphere regardless of the teams? Do you pay for the comfort of Pride Park? Is it a day out with your mates (or away from the missus)? Do you watch the games for the entertainment side? Do you watch games to analysize the football?

There are many motives to watch a game..

I love football in general, I watch games from all over the world and I like to look at games from a coaches perspective.. I can find pieces of magic in almost any game be it from an outfield player or a tactical switch..

But I honestly wouldn't pay money to watch the same team (as a fan) over and over again if I didn't enjoy what I was seeing.. I do question those that go who only sit there and complain about everything.. As in what is the point if you're not being entertained.. If you can think of better things to do on a Saturday afternoon, I question why those same people still go regardless..

It's tribal. I can't explain it. I'm sure those who understand these things could. Why else would a man of my age have to switch off the TV/Radio when we're winning 1-0 with 5 minutes to go? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Irrational, odd, call it what you will. It's in the blood. You have to be careful or it can take you over.......it did for me!

There's emotional investment in a club.

You explain to an Apple fan how he's been ripped off by his overpriced, under-performing iPod/Pad/Phone/Mac and then you'll see how emotionally attached tech fans can get!

Archived