Should Jailed McCormick be allowed to play again

ramexpat

The mental damage done to the victim/victim's family will always outweigh what any justice can do. Of course there are cases where the perpetrator is overcome with genuine remorse, but they can't undo their actions.

The last few years have taught me just how selfish society is. Often wondering why I try to do good when so many seek only their own gain at the expense of others. Fair does not exist.

I respect your ideas Young Ram, much of what you say is well thought and reasoned and dare I say noble. But in this case, I cannot agree. Perhaps in days of old I would have agreed with you.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't be bothered to read the entire thread (the fact I saw that Bris had stuck his oar in had no bearing on this)- I feel that if you have been convicted of a serious crime then you should face a lifetime wage cap.

Regardless of the walk of life that you come from you should earn no more than a student stacking shelves in Tescos- football wages are obscene anyway but still being allowed to earn that kind of money, and be in the public eye should not be permitted when they have broken the law.

Young Ram,

I can kinda understand what you are saying, but not many people in this country are happy with punishments handed out, like I said a lifetime ban from driving and the jail sentence would of been a much greater punishment.

Its easy for us to sit on a keyboard and say it should be this it should be that, but if it happened to one of your own you would feel differently. As is the case its vary easier for parents to put themselves in the shoes of the mother and say ' he should be shot' etc.

I think they need to make prison more of deterrent, I sell computer games for a living and am ashamed at the amount I send to hmp

I dont see why prisoners cant be made to work, in some capacity to give back to the community!

I reject the vacuous argument if it happened to one of my own, because if it did my judgement would be clouded and that is why victims families don't decide prison sentences. Regarding the prisons, Norway has a fare more liberal prison system which respects privacy, gives them a small wage for a small amount of work and treats them with respect. Their re-offending rate is 20% ours is 50%. Our system is wrong because it doesn't encourage enough rehabilitation.

Whenever thinking of a crime and suitable punishment I always think would you want this criminal your defending living on your street?

Would you mind this rehabilitated peado living outside your kids school?

If this Cnut who took the chance drink driving had hit my daughter he'd be tied up in an abandoned shed somewhere getting a shafted by a golf club 5times a day. He took the chance. Had he not killed my child I would say he can play for Real Madrid for all I care. But he took the chance and destroyed a family. That makes him a cnut. Hope he gets cancer.

4 years. That's his lesson learned?

Guess it's easier to say that if it's not your own flesh and blood your wiping of his bumper.

**** his guilt and his freedom. Obey the law.

Eye for an eye.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind, it was even a mistranslation in the bible I believe. I would be perfectly happy for McCormick to live next door to me and to draw an example of a paedophile living next door to a school is a misrepresentation of what I have been saying and is a straw man argument. This is the problem we have in this country, we stigmatize people who have made mistakes and then because of this attitude they shall be left out of the community, struggling for employment and then revert to crime. In this instance it is a bit different, however the fact he hit those children was in a sense morally abritrary to 1/3 of the young men who have been drink driving and did not hit anyone, they got lucky he didn't. He made a mistake, he recognises he made a mistake which is always important and now he shall try and get on with his life the best he can.

A very passionate and dangerous thread. My own views are the second he has had a drink and got in the car, his rights are gone. It's horrible, it's unfortunate, it's unlucky but above all else the consequences of his stupid and selfish decision had the worst possible consequences. He has robbed the world of two lives.

I think unfortunately the lad needs to understand that there are grave consequences to what he did. I dont think going back to playing is the right thing to do. His actions should be highlighted to others to show that it was wrong for him to do that. If he goes on to resurrect a successful career what kind of message does that send to young players going forward.

It may be too harsh for some views on here but, He should be made to do voluntary work for the rest of his life. Football is all he knows. He should be made to work at football grounds and at football acadamies all over the country, talking to young players about how stupid he was, how he lost everything he had, how he lost his privileged position, how drinking and driving is horribly wrong and can wreck lives...

He should be close enough to feel the buzz of the game but not allowed to enjoy the privileges being a footballer affords. He should never be able to pull on a professional players shirt again.

Being a footballer who can't play on a saturday is as bad a feeling as it gets for players - there needs to be regret for the rest of his life.

I have no time for liberal approaches here, his actions resulted in two boys never fulfilling their dreams. I dont think he should be allowed to pick up the pieces of his as if nothing happened.

I would respect him more if he went on a roadshow talking to the young pros about what he had done.

• 2 months later...

Why?

Any person with a criminal record (unrelated their occupation) should never be allowed to work in their previous occupation again.

yeah that makes sense it annoys me that footballers earn god knows how much go to prison come out and still earn loads of money

yeah that makes sense it annoys me that footballers earn god knows how much go to prison come out and still earn loads of money

The same can happen to other professions too though. Would anyone bat an eyelid to a best selling author going to jail and then on release writing more books.

Come to think if Adams, Ferguson both spent time in jail but when they came out straight back to football.

It's not footballers fault they earn so much if someone said to you I'll pay you 10 times what you currently are on to do the exact same job would you not take it?

I hate when this argument comes up if clubs are willing to pay that much which player in their right mind is going to say nah its ok pay me £18k a year I'm happy with that.

The lad made a mistake yes a big mistake that cost lives but he didn't go out maliciously to harm someone he just jumped in his car to drive home the next morning after a night out.

He's paid the punishment & time the court had deemed relevant for his crime but he'll have to live with that on his mind for the rest of his life which is a life sentence all on its own & that video clearly shows how distraught he was.

Once they've served their time, then with the odd exception, there's no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to resume whatever career they had.

The gripe is whether or not sentences for offences like McCormick are good enough. If it were left to me McCormick wouldn't have seen the outside of a prison again until long after he'd have retired from football anyway.

Sentence is what is, but from an objective point of view...it's not his fault it was set as low as it was.

In terms of playing football again, yes he should be allowed to, in my opinion. But is it right for him?

Alpha's right, football isn't like any other job. You won't work for the Council and have people in the office singing 'going down, going down, going down' at you, calling you a child murderer, waiting for you to make a mistake so you can take more horrendous abuse.

If he's as cut up about it as he looked in that video, will he be able to handle the amount of flak levelled at him? Whether he deserves that flak or not is a totally different argument. He doesn't strike me as a Lee Hughes or Marlon King type that is capable of totally brushing it off like it never happened. But then I don't know him.

I think he has the right to play football - but I don't think it's the right thing to do.

Wasn't part of his defence that he wouldn't play football again?

Tbf, if it was my little girl he killed he be in my car boot months ago. This far down the line he'd of been in relations with many different objects. Starting with a broom and umbrella, finishing with a firework

I would not watch him do what he loves and earn lots of money doing it.

Now, if he was stacking shelves in a supermarket it'd only be the judges and defence's kids id have to kidnap for a bit. See what sentence they'd want me to get after a few weeks.

Btw, I accept I'm a nob.

Archived