How can we encourage Roy Hodgson?

Brammie Steve

Roy Hodgson is a proven manager with a good track record, yet before he has even met his lads in the England team he is being slagged off for petty reasons by a press and public which seem to use a different and personally upsetting set of standards in judging him.

This is the same cabal who will be singing his praises should England defy the detractors and do well in Euro 2012.

I like Roy Hodgson and don't envy him the poison chalice which he has been given. How can we encourage him and as a result let him get on with his job of getting the best out of what he's got?

I for one would find plenty of things about my own mannerisms, ways of talking, and pretty well anything that could be made fun of (and have been at one time or another) but when I've been given a job to do I have done it best when accentuating the positives. Roy is no different surely!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly it is a trait of the British press that they have to pick on the negatives. On the odd occasion where they do praise anyone, they like nothing better than to knock the feet from under them at the first available opportunity.

This also reflects on a fairly significant proportion of those Brits with a fairly limited education, I think they try to hide their own shortcomings by ridiculing others; including Roy Hodgson and his speech - or am I being a tad harsh here?

The only way to judge him as a manager is to review his performance after maybe three years - some might be pleasantly surprised. I think he will do a good job, I hope I am not disappointed.

If the English England manager needs encouragement he's not the right man for the job. What can we do? not a lot unless the whole nation hangs "We love you Roy" banners on the front of our houses.

Archived