Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

I'd hope we're holding out for at least 1.8m. Thats still enough for 2 "barker type" signings. I've got a feeling Shacks is going to be sacrificed for the greater good. I'm not sure it's the right thing to do but it's exciting wondering who would come in and I DO trust NC to find us another quality centre half to replace him.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that we are actively courting offers for our best player, despite the loss of Barker for a season shows exactly where we are heading as a club - nowhere. Building a 'young hungry team'? Dont make me laugh - this board have weighed up the fans of this club and realise they can take what liberties they like and you'll still come back for more. Those of you getting excited over the new kappa kit design and other such peripheral rubbish ought to be ashamed of yourselves - you should be demanding to know why the manager is virtually shouting from the rooftops to clubs that they are nearly there with their bids for Shacks. We are likely to lose our best player and you are trying to see the positives - there are none. Who are we going to sign that is going to be as good as Shackell and who will still leave us with money to spend on improving other areas of the team? Its a joke and some of you are absolute suckers for falling for it.

if there are players out there with a similar level of Shacks ability, for half his price, why are clubs willing to pay for Shackell?

Depends on how much of a gamble you're willing to take, there will be obviously better players out there for less than what you can sign Shackell for, but finding them is a problem and they won't come with the same pedigree and reputation which is often what price comes down too.

Who's arguing??? I was merely offering my opinion, you're merely offering (with a little more gusto...) yours.

I meant arguing with the point I made, not getting into a fight. I'm surprised it came across like that (although with how a lot of threads descend, maybe not that surprising).

I know I'm not a football league manager but it just smacks me as a little silly to be selling you're 2nd best centre half when your best centre half will be strapped to a number of automated machines for the entire season at the end of which there's no guarantee he'll be as good as he was before.

I don't know about silly, rather more "risky"! It all depends on...

If it's because the money can be used to bring in a better replacement and other required recruits doesn't that come back round to a lack of investment from the board/owners due to their business plan? The million or so profit we'll make from selling him is f**k all for these guys... They may not actually say "we want the money for him" but because they won't pony up a reletively small transfer pot, he's forced in to these gambles...

So in short when I said

I stated the board wouldn't force NC to sell a player, it would be his choice. Are you arguing with that or not?

The answer was "no". Ok that's fine, I actually agree with you. We have to do things like this because we don't have the money to just go and get whoever NC wants each time. You can blame the owners for that but aren't most football clubs like that anyway to one extent or another?

We don't have as much cash to spend as some. But don't have to sell players every year purely to balance the book sand not go out of business (more like Crewe that Ambitious mentioned).

I trust Nigel to replace Shackell, he's brilliant at picking out decent defenders and can turn average players in to pretty decent ones, like Buxton.

I'd just be worried about what the other players, or two players, would be like.

You can sign two players not as good as Shackell but make us better overall if they fit in with the side. It's just the midfielder or striker he gets with the cash simply can not be a Chris Maguire or Nathan Tyson.

We don't have as much cash to spend as some. But don't have to sell players every year purely to balance the book sand not go out of business (more like Crewe that Ambitious mentioned).

I don't mind being a bit of a feeder club like Crewe have been over the years, but I'd rather it not be for other Championship sides. I'm not saying for a second I think Premiership clubs should be banging down our door for him (he's a little slow and distribution is poor at times) but I'd rather not give other sides we're competing against the advantage and have to rely on Nigel unearthing another gem, as he's had plenty of hits but he's had a few misses as well...

If shackell goes it really does give us few options in defence, we have few options up front and generally if you concede a lot and don't score a lot it means problems. While clough can find a decent player, it will not take us anywhere if we sell our best players. It is very rare you can get out of this division with decent players, you have to be a very good manager to do that and clough isn't that. This just depresses me frankly and is really testing my loyalty to the club. When you look at the league you do genuinly wonder how on earth will we get promoted.

Shackell move on the cards as rivals close in

DERBY County are preparing for life without Jason Shackell after manager Nigel Clough admitted that offers for the defender were getting close to being “too good to turn down”.

[url=http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Sport/Derby-County-FC/Shackell-move-on-the-cards-as-rivals-close-in-28062012.htm]http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Sport/Derby-County-FC/Shackell-move-on-the-cards-as-rivals-close-in-28062012.htm

Didn't Clough sell Tito for 1.6million? would be embarrassing if we sell Shacks for less than that!

As I said I draw my line in the sand at 1.8million, where I could see why we dealt but if I was in Cloughs shoes, i'd be looking more upwards of 2million!

Archived