Have I done the right thing ?

mozza

I rang Sky with a view to downgrade to the basic package for financial reasons.

It was costing me £52 per month for all channels, the box we have is antiquated (2002)

It works perfectly well so I cba to change it. Anyway, rather than downgrade, ive been talked

into an upgrade to Sky+HD, which means a new box is coming friday, I'm saving myself about £8.00

per month for a 12 month contract, just wondering how much better this HD viewing is ?,

We dont go out much so.............have I done the right thing ?

Thoughts ?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Copy cat thread.

HD is £10 a month if I remember right, have they given it you free for a year? Then charge after?

Also, you can save your old box and have it in another room, either pay multi room price, £10/month or just have free to air channels. Either way, you'll need a cable fro m the dish to the new room.

The sky man may offer to do it, for a bit of back pocket money, normally over charged, it's easy to do yersen.

Copy cat thread.

link please, then you can delete this thread

Sorry, have you done the right thing?

Did you want to save more than £8 a year? If yes, then no.

theyve offered me hd at £5pm and 25% off all channels for a year, weighing up the pro's and cons,

was just paying top dosh for a poor system out of habit, so to save £8 PER MONTH also is good.

cheers 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

mo55y, sounds like a good deal. The HD picture quality is great but don't do what I did and forget to plug in an HD cable from the box to the TV - I was paying for HD TV for a month before realising how stupid I was ...doh....

I only found out the error of my ways because I was moaning to friends that I couldn't see any improvement in picture quality and inited one mate round who immediately spotted something was wrong.

mo55y, sounds like a good deal. The HD picture quality is great but don't do what I did and forget to plug in an HD cable from the box to the TV - I was paying for HD TV for a month before realising how stupid I was ...doh....

I only found out the error of my ways because I was moaning to friends that I couldn't see any improvement in picture quality and inited one mate round who immediately spotted something was wrong.

surely the engineer will set that up for me ? I hope so anyway 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Thanks for the tip 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Thats one of my main concerns mate, but i am very sceptical

I watched the first half of Man United Vrs Athletic Bilbao at mine, then the second at my mates. At mine I had a great picture through a freeview box and no problems with channel 5 whatsoever.

Get to my mates house, channel 5 itself was absolutely poor, blurred and pixilated. 5HD was no better than what I get on my old Sony 'rock'. Have noticed the same when we've been watching MOTD at his. It might just be that they purposely distort the old channels to encourage viewers to watch in HD.

Movies that were recorded in HD are excellent, so I know it works it's just sometimes I think there isn't any HD content actually available so they distort the older non HD channels. I've seen football games in HD where you can spot someone in the crowd their face is so detailed, from afar. But mostly it's bull****, save ya money because it sounds like you're shedding out on another TV as well?

The tv we have is a 32inch Toshiba Regza HD Ready, about 3 years old, so hopefully that will be fine, touch wood..

but I do wonder if they do reduce the quality of 'none' HD programmes ..same as you say..

I've been trying to covince my dad to get it (im 18) so haven't fully moved out yet, although i am at university living in halls.

I was just curious to how much people pay for what packages. I'd mostly be interested in the sports package.

Any help would be great 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

The tv we have is a 32inch Toshiba Regza HD Ready, about 3 years old, so hopefully that will be fine, touch wood..

but I do wonder if they do reduce the quality of 'none' HD programmes ..same as you say..

They definitely distort it more often than not. But when it's in HD it's great viewing.

I know I'm being overly negative, one last thing, when it's on an HD channel and the camera pans across a football pitch it sort of distorts then as well. Looks like the match has slowed down slightly. I'm not sure if this is when they have the old non HD viewing on an HD channel or when it's in HD itself. Think it's the latter.

Movies are incredible though. Better when it's on bluray.

I've been trying to covince my dad to get it (im 18) so haven't fully moved out yet, although i am at university living in halls.

I was just curious to how much people pay for what packages. I'd mostly be interested in the sports package.

Any help would be great 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

i'm not sure of the breakdown of prices, but i know if i 'cancelled' the movie channel it would save about

£5 per month, cancelled the sports channel, about £8 per month (ish)

what uni you at ? my lads at Hallam .

My mate had HD through Sky and has recently dumped them for Virgin, here are the reasons why. Bit long winded, however it may help.

I have Virgin and everytime he came round mine, he always said that standard and HD where better on my TV, however blamed the fact his TV was a very early HD model and mine is less than 2 years old. so in the sales he switched to a new HDTV, Panasonic. Gets it home and picture no better than previously. After a chat, he lugs the TV to mine and plugs in the Virgin box, and gets blown away, immediatly looks to switch to Virgin.

He wasn't paying full whack, had the equivilant of Virgin XL, as he has kids that are constantly on line, and didn't bother about movie/sport channels.

He now has a great picture, i-player that is both quick and holds more programmes than the one on the BBC site, and stupidly rapid broadband that when 5 devices are connected there is still no lag! Also a phone 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

My mate had HD through Sky and has recently dumped them for Virgin, here are the reasons why. Bit long winded, however it may help.

I have Virgin and everytime he came round mine, he always said that standard and HD where better on my TV, however blamed the fact his TV was a very early HD model and mine is less than 2 years old. so in the sales he switched to a new HDTV, Panasonic. Gets it home and picture no better than previously. After a chat, he lugs the TV to mine and plugs in the Virgin box, and gets blown away, immediatly looks to switch to Virgin.

He wasn't paying full whack, had the equivilant of Virgin XL, as he has kids that are constantly on line, and didn't bother about movie/sport channels.

He now has a great picture, i-player that is both quick and holds more programmes than the one on the BBC site, and stupidly rapid broadband that when 5 devices are connected there is still no lag! Also a phone 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

This.

Sky are allegedly well known to be thieves.

Archived