Have I done the right thing ?

mozza

We've got a Sky+HD box, don't pay HD sub as we don't have a HD TV. I can say from my experience that the SD picture I get out of the HD box is noticeably better than the picture we had out of our old Sky+ box. So unless it's something they do with the HDMI feed (we're still using Scart) to make the SD picture degrade....? Could also be a case of which model of Sky HD box you've got, output picture quality can vary....

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tv we have is a 32inch Toshiba Regza HD Ready, about 3 years old, so hopefully that will be fine, touch wood..

but I do wonder if they do reduce the quality of 'none' HD programmes ..same as you say..

I'm not sure you'd see much benefit from HD with a telly like that, you want summat "FullHD" and BIG.

We've got a massive HD tv that really shows up SD (really bad compression artifacts, especially if you go away from BBC/Channel4), but before that our 32" was absolutely fine.

i'm not sure of the breakdown of prices, but i know if i 'cancelled' the movie channel it would save about

£5 per month, cancelled the sports channel, about £8 per month (ish)

what uni you at ? my lads at Hallam .

I'm at Nottingham Uni, studying pharmacology 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I cancelled my HD last year to save £10 a month. My problem was the shows i was sky+ ing off sky atlantic couldnt be watched on playback until HD was restored....and I cant live without the Sopranos so I restored it.,although HD isnt worth £10 a month

well the sky man rolled up at half 8 this morning, got me up and running by 9;30, by 9;45 (after he'd gone) it

all went pear shaped, pixilated, like a patchwork quilt... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' /> I rang him to come and fix..he said ''is it ok to

come when ive finished this job i'm now on ? '' ''no prob, sez I'', he rolled up at 11;45, and after ringing his mate

for advice..swapped the box, cured the problem, i'm still not convinced HD is that much better tho..time will tell.

I watched the first half of Man United Vrs Athletic Bilbao at mine, then the second at my mates. At mine I had a great picture through a freeview box and no problems with channel 5 whatsoever.

Get to my mates house, channel 5 itself was absolutely poor, blurred and pixilated. 5HD was no better than what I get on my old Sony 'rock'. Have noticed the same when we've been watching MOTD at his. It might just be that they purposely distort the old channels to encourage viewers to watch in HD.

Movies that were recorded in HD are excellent, so I know it works it's just sometimes I think there isn't any HD content actually available so they distort the older non HD channels. I've seen football games in HD where you can spot someone in the crowd their face is so detailed, from afar. But mostly it's bull****, save ya money because it sounds like you're shedding out on another TV as well?

Just a thought - has your mate got a good quality HDMI cable?

Using a cheap cable can give a really poor picture. Take your HDMI cable round your mates, see if the picture is rubbish still.

Just a thought - has your mate got a good quality HDMI cable?

Using a cheap cable can give a really poor picture. Take your HDMI cable round your mates, see if the picture is rubbish still.

*cough*bóllócks*cough*

As Boycie said anything other than a basic HDMI cable is a complete rip-off. Here's the test: -

* Plug the HDMI cable in

* Do you get a picture?

* If so - it is PERFECT, no other cable on the planet will ever make it any better.

* If not - take the cable back and get a new one - it's faulty.

Can't get cable in my area so have to make do with Sky. Very rarely watch TV but everytime I do switch it on there are two programmes recording so I can't actually watch anything (4 kids and a missus). Only ever recorded two programmes myself which I really wanted to watch and both were deleted off the planner 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' /> .

Have you done the right thing?

You have Sky, so no. And therefore as punishment, you should be taken outside and shot infront of your family. Moan about the state of football ever, and you are a hypocrite.

Cheers for that Joe, I love you too..

Have you done the right thing?

You have Sky, so no. And therefore as punishment, you should be taken outside and shot infront of your family. Moan about the state of football ever, and you are a hypocrite.

Cheers for that Joe, I love you too..

Bit harsh Joe.

I would have spared his family from watching personally.............

Archived