Any American college basketball or football fans here?

RamOfKansas

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha, nah our own version of Football. It's not too shabby, but I played it and followed it all my life afterall.

Go State-can mean a lot of different colleges, but for this I mean my own college. Kansas State University.

And yes college sports are huge in America. I mean pro sports are big of course, but in America itself I'd wager College sports are more important than the Professionals to most people. Plus it's more exciting, because it means more and their's a far wider variety of strategies then you see in the pro sports here which is just a bunch of Generic rubbish.

So I'm just doing a comparison here - the Packers are the current superbowl champs at the mo (I know cos Dav follows them) and their stadium holds 73 odd k. How many does Old Trafford hold? Just over 75k? I thought the packers ground would be much bigger for some reason.

What's the biggest football stadium in the states then and what's the capacity?

If you've been to any American sports events you'll know the atmosphere is completely different and can't be compared back to English or European equivalents. Its a carnival like atmosphere over in the states where crowds are orchestrated, its great but different. I personally wouldn't swap it for say Commons smashing a 30 yard drive into United's net in the cup, the huge roar of the crowd and the impromptu goading of the opposition supporters.

If you've been to any American sports events you'll know the atmosphere is completely different and can't be compared back to English or European equivalents. Its a carnival like atmosphere over in the states where crowds are orchestrated, its great but different. I personally wouldn't swap it for say Commons smashing a 30 yard drive into United's net in the cup, the huge roar of the crowd and the impromptu goading of the opposition supporters.

Agreed. If you'll pardon the pun, English football is a whole different ball game.

I mean no disrepect here ROK - but us English are a lot less gung ho about things - we're not really into the whole spectacle of events before ko and during ht. It's good to see how it's celebrated in the states but it's not that case at all over here.

Imagine if we had marching bands strutting around PP and a ht show? It wouldn't go down well at all. All everyone is interested in it's what going off on the pitch - not even music is welcome - fans want the atmosphere to build up on it's own.

I'm sure you know we have American owners - I wonder what they thought when they first witnessed a match day atmosphere? They really must have been surprised but that's just the way it works over here across the pond.

One day you might get over here and see for yourself. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I wouldn't swap it either..

imagine everybody every few seconds screaming.

'wooooooo alriiiiiiiighhhhht GO RAMS!'

Ha. Talk about cringe! I prefer organic atmospheres; a roar over a potential leg breaker challenge flying in just can't be substituted for these choreographed, drum banging, trombone playing, paint plastered, hotdog sauce all over tits type affairs.

Agreed. If you'll pardon the pun, English football is a whole different ball game.

I mean no disrepect here ROK - but us English are a lot less gung ho about things - we're not really into the whole spectacle of events before ko and during ht. It's good to see how it's celebrated in the states but it's not that case at all over here.

Imagine if we had marching bands strutting around PP and a ht show? It wouldn't go down well at all. All everyone is interested in it's what going off on the pitch - not even music is welcome - fans want the atmosphere to build up on it's own.

I'm sure you know we have American owners - I wonder what they thought when they first witnessed a match day atmosphere? They really must have been surprised but that's just the way it works over here across the pond.

One day you might get over here and see for yourself. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Dragon-s-Den-star-Wilson-sold-Rams/story-11635915-detail/story.html

From our Canadian owner.

The Americans did give us sheep masks once and duly gave us one of most embarrassing moments in our 125+ year history. Didn't we also have t-shirts given to us, I can't remember what I did with mine...oh yeah, I threw it on the pitch 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

I was a big fan of college football in the 80's and 90's. At that time used to watch a couple of games a week. It was great to watch future NFL players develope. Then the matches dissappeared from the channels I could follow here in Finland. Now I usually get to see only Super Bowl. Always take the following monday free from work so I can enjoy the match since it starts here 1 AM. Can't wait this sunday.

Yep - Giants v Patriots and Madonna with the ht show. Fell asleep during last years ht show but seeing it was the Black Eyed Peas can't say I was too fussed.

Archived