Premier league

loyalRam

If Derby do get promoted this season,most likely through the play-offs, who do you think in our current squad would be able to cope with premier league football and be comfortable,playing within it. Also how many players would Clough have to sign and which position to keep Derby up. How much money on transfers do you think Clough will be given. IMO we would need a new LB, backup RB, a creative midfielder, a RM and possibly 1 or maybe 2 new strikers.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[size=4]yeah that is the figure I had in mind, but I dont think it would be enough to keep us up IMO

[/size]

[size=4]Depends who ya buy. Demba Ba was a free. Patrick Viera was a free (City). Stoke signed Woodgate and Upson on free's. Villa let go Pires and Reo-Coker at the start of the season. Also don't forget M.Owen and O.Hargreaves, both free. Aswell as when Birmingham got relegated they let go Bowyer, Larsson, McFadden...even if these people aren't at their best, most could (and are) play for Prem teams.[/size]

The list goes on: Saha, Beckford, Phillips, Carew, Gera, Kamara, Pantsil, Harewood...doesn't totally depend on money. One or two good freebies (Hargreaves,Demba Ba) and it could save the team from relegation.

It's a very young team still developing, if we were to bring in 3-4 players into that starting 11 in key positions of real quality we have players who will up their game, premiership is no great shakes some teams have masses of players in their squad with undoubted quality and others don't.

As pointed to before, teams go up and as long as they have the right attitude and make a few shrewd signings here and there, they do alright. Premiership players have come down here and looked awful, and players that i thought were average in this league have stepped into the premiership... if we get promoted then we have proved we are good enough for promotion, if we don't, we aren't.

Don't see why people think Barker would be good in the Premier League? All his qualities are only very much use at this level. I think he'd look as bad as anyone against a striker with skill and pace. He's never covered himself in glory against Billy Sharp or players like that.

For me, Ward, Fielding, Shackell (maybe), Bryson, Brayford, Hendrick, Bailey and Ball all have the potential. It's stupid for any fan of any team at this level to think they don't have players that could do it in the league above, as players at clubs like Norwich prove time and time again.

We're as ready as we were last time to go up, if a little more. We have more than one ageing striker on our books and half the team can only get better looking at their age.

we'd need at least 11 signings for the prem! Fielding would be ok, Barker maybe... Nobody else though. Thats not being negative but the step up is huge. I love ward but i dont think hes premiership quality. End product is huge in prem and he isnt consistant enough for me in that department. Oh! Sorry! I do also think brayford could make the step up and will, wether it be with us (hopefully), or someone else

Here lies the problem, if we did gain promotion, it would be gained on sheer effort and desire to better one self by the players. Do we then bring in players just here for the money, or keep buying young players and hope they can swim in the prem and not sink.

It ain't going to be easy.

Archived