Team GB call up for Frankie??

derbydan

Derby County goalkeeper Frank Fielding has been lined up as a potential Great Britain player at the London 2012 Olympics.

The 23-year-old shot-stopper recently received correspondence from the Football Association inquiring whether or not he had a desire to make himself available for selection for Team GB at this summer's Olympic Games in London.

Team GB will be headed up by former England defender Stuart Pearce, who managed Fielding at England under-21 level and made him his number one at the European Under 21 Championships in Denmark last summer.

Although the former Blackburn Rovers player has twice received call-ups to the full England squad, he is yet to gain full international honours.

Derby County manager Nigel Clough said: "It's always nice to have your players recognised at any international level and for there to be interest in Frank to be part of the Olympic Games is only a good thing for both Frank and Derby County.

"He's highly regarded in the England set-up as we've seen with his call-up to the full England squad this season for their Euro 2012 qualifiers, and the fact that the FA monitor his progress very closely.

"We'll see how things unfold with this in the coming months because at this moment in time all we know is that Frank has been asked if he would be open to making himself available for Team GB and nothing more."

Fielding, who joined Derby last summer from Blackburn after two impressive loan spells at Pride Park, has made 28 appearances for the Rams this season.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id prefer him in the olympics to be honest, will be more than likely first choice and if he goes to euros he'll be 3rd choice which would be nothing but an experience for him.

I believe him to be a better keeper than Stockdale, but do the national team coaches? either way I think he'll be busy in the summer.

Let's put this in perspective, he's probably one of at least ten goalies that have been contacted, and some of you are already labelling him as first choice. Being the former England U21 keeper under Pearce gives him a great chance, but let's wait for the squad list, and then the team sheet.

Let's put this in perspective, he's probably one of at least ten goalies that have been contacted, and some of you are already labelling him as first choice. Being the former England U21 keeper under Pearce gives him a great chance, but let's wait for the squad list, and then the team sheet.

who are these ten? not quizzing you, just wondering who else might be in with a shout

Jason Steele (Middlesboro) -Under 23 as well which would allow Pearce to bring a older head instead of fielding as he'd be over the 23 age bracket i think.

Ben Amos (Man U) - 21

Jack Butland - Current U21 international - 18 years old.

Lee Camp - know all about him - over 23 though

Alex Smithies - 21 Huddersfield number 1.

Wayne Hennessey - Wales #1 and Wolves #1 - 24 years old

Joe Murphy - Coventry goalkeeper

Craig Gordon - Sunderland and Scotland goalkeeper

I'd say most of these have had letters

who are these ten? not quizzing you, just wondering who else might be in with a shout

Anyone in the Wales, N.Ireland & Scotland full squads, and anyone who's been in the respective U21 teams would be considered (not saying they all had letters). I would add [to randombc's list] David James & Paul Robinson as plausible options for the third oldie (assuming Becks & Giggs are the other two).

Jason Steele (Middlesboro) -Under 23 as well which would allow Pearce to bring a older head instead of fielding as he'd be over the 23 age bracket i think.

Ben Amos (Man U) - 21

Jack Butland - Current U21 international - 18 years old.

Lee Camp - know all about him - over 23 though

Alex Smithies - 21 Huddersfield number 1.

Wayne Hennessey - Wales #1 and Wolves #1 - 24 years old

Joe Murphy - Coventry goalkeeper

Craig Gordon - Sunderland and Scotland goalkeeper

I'd say most of these have had letters

Or pick someone who is playing week in week out in competitive championship games, receiving plaudits and kept 4 clean sheets in a row?

Archived