What would you rather...

Asanovic

Watched Swansea yesterday - they're absolutely brilliant, in my opinion the best passing team in the league. What Rodgers has done there is spectacular, really. The only negative I can think of is that passing their way out of trouble won't work forever, and they will get caught.

Then I watched highlights of Stoke - a respected, established Premier League club who will be here for the long haul, I imagine - grinding out a draw against Liverpool.

So, what would you prefer? Open attacking football that will leave holes defensively, and is a risky surivial strategy? Or organised, disciplined, counter attacking football that is built to last?

A balance needs to be struck, but looking at how succesful Stoke have been, it's difficult to not want a piece of that.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why wont Swansea's passing football work for ever?

Hull went down after a couple of years

Blackpool didn't last a season

West Brom under Mowbray, playing nice football, finished bottom

Unless heavy investment is made it's difficult to maintain it.

Hull went down after a couple of years

Blackpool didn't last a season

West Brom under Mowbray, playing nice football, finished bottom

Unless heavy investment is made it's difficult to maintain it.

None of them played the brand of football Swansea do.

Dont remember Hull playing any particular brand of football? Blackpool were just attacking and West Brom played good football but not to the extend that Swansea do.

Look at the pass completion table across Europe, Swansea are up there alongside Barca, Real Madrid and Man City, none of the sides you mentioned were probably even close.

Their side at the moment proves that heavy investment isnt needed to play passing football, just players who are confident and comfortable on the ball. Sigurdson looks a very good loan signing based on 45 minutes yesterday.

If the question is would I prefer us to be succesful and play horrible football or would i prefer us to be unsuccesful and play pretty football, then of course the answer is the first one. it's all about the winning.

But if the question is would i prefer us to play like Swansea and win nothing or play like Stoke and win nothing then of course the answer is I would prefer the proetty football......The ideal would be to play like Barca...but that is a couple of years off yet i think..

Dont remember Hull playing any particular brand of football? Blackpool were just attacking and West Brom played good football but not to the extend that Swansea do.

Look at the pass completion table across Europe, Swansea are up there alongside Barca, Real Madrid and Man City, none of the sides you mentioned were probably even close.

Their side at the moment proves that heavy investment isnt needed to play passing football, just players who are confident and comfortable on the ball. Sigurdson looks a very good loan signing based on 45 minutes yesterday.

They all tried to play that way - and it didn't work. I didn't say they all had the same pass completion rate. Swansea have a better team for the brand of football they play, but at some point, they'll probably get found out - the table is so tight that with 2 or 3 defeats, they could be back in a relegation scrap anyway.

Stoke, on the other hand, are playing brutish stuff but, realistically, will be in the top 7 or 8 come the end of the season. I'm not saying I prefer this type of football (although I am a big fan or organisation and good defending as much as Tika Taka), but with the right personnel, it works.

They all tried to play that way - and it didn't work. I didn't say they all had the same pass completion rate. Swansea have a better team for the brand of football they play, but at some point, they'll probably get found out - the table is so tight that with 2 or 3 defeats, they could be back in a relegation scrap anyway.

Stoke, on the other hand, are playing brutish stuff but, realistically, will be in the top 7 or 8 come the end of the season. I'm not saying I prefer this type of football (although I am a big fan or organisation and good defending as much as Tika Taka), but with the right personnel, it works.

Teams like Birmingham, West Ham, QPR, Bolton, Wolves etc play this defensive hoofball type football and have also gone down or look likely too.

If you play like Swansea do you can dicate play, you defenders have less work to get through and you tire the opponants out as you have to chase to win back possession (look at what Barca did in the first half at Real and how Real collasped in the 2nd half).

It will be ok for them this season and maybe next season but players do not stop at clubs nowadays. Some of the players at Swansea will probably move on over the next season or two. Not many times can you say that Arsenal out passed in game but happened yesterday. Sinclair will not be at Swansea forever someone like Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool etc will try and bbuy him. Lets be honest if a top club come in who would todays footballer choose as Swansea won't be able to pay the wages as most of the clubs in prem offer.

Its a shame but that is football at present. It will be interesting to see if anything changes with the financial fairplay rules due to come in.

Teams like Birmingham, West Ham, QPR, Bolton, Wolves etc play this defensive hoofball type football and have also gone down or look likely too.

If you play like Swansea do you can dicate play, you defenders have less work to get through and you tire the opponants out as you have to chase to win back possession (look at what Barca did in the first half at Real and how Real collasped in the 2nd half).

How many teams stay up playing like Swansea?

Agree with the sides you've mentioned playing hoofball but the success rate of playing that way, rightly or wrongly, is higher for newly promoted teams than the attacking football Swansea play.

It will be ok for them this season and maybe next season but players do not stop at clubs nowadays. Some of the players at Swansea will probably move on over the next season or two. Not many times can you say that Arsenal out passed in game but happened yesterday. Sinclair will not be at Swansea forever someone like Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool etc will try and bbuy him. Lets be honest if a top club come in who would todays footballer choose as Swansea won't be able to pay the wages as most of the clubs in prem offer.

Its a shame but that is football at present. It will be interesting to see if anything changes with the financial fairplay rules due to come in.

Scott Sinclair had his chance at Chelsea, didnt cut it and probably never will at that higher level. With the correct scouting and academy system in place it's definitely durable. Breed the youngsters to play that way and give players a chance who perhaps arent physically there but have got it technically. Look at Leon Brittan and Joe Allen, both small but always want the ball and good enough to dictate a game.

Swansea have had this culture a while now and it's stayed despite the change of managers, Sousa, Martinez and now Rodgers.

How many teams stay up playing like Swansea?

Agree with the sides you've mentioned playing hoofball but the success rate of playing that way, rightly or wrongly, is higher for newly promoted teams than the attacking football Swansea play.

Teams havent played like Swansea though, no promoted team had tried it until now. You're differentiating between passing and attacking.

Swansea success is great and proves that football can be played in the PL.. So many clubs want to emulate the Everton mould.. Everton are the club that everyone aspires to, a club that rarely spends, picks up bargains from the NPC, are alwats competitive and will always be a PL club that every now and again has a cup run..

What they fail to mention about Everton is that the football IMO is boring.. A solid back 4 lumping it long (they do also mix it up) with solid CMs and excellent at set pieces.. First rule is not to lose..

Swansea are great.. They try to play like Barca, but then so does everyone else in Spain.. Many clubs in Spain play great football despite not having the best players.. There isn't one club in La Liga that has this defensive, don't lose at all costs type mentality and it's football on the ground.. Even in La Segunda, clubs like Almeria, Real Valladolid, Celta Vigo and Elche are all striving to become 'possession' orientated teams..

One team in the NPC that are making these efforts is Barnsley.. They and Keith Hill should be applauded for doing this, it certainly would help the national team if grassroot football and lower league football started playing this way.

As for the original question..

I'd rather stay in the NPC, year on year losing every playoff game if we played how we did under George Burley.. I'd rather do this year on year than get promoted using a style like Billy Davies' and staying up playing like Bolton, Blackburn, Stoke etc.

I'd sacrifice the cup runs, possible finals and watching the best players at PP for weekly entertainment knowing that each week whether we play at home or away that we'll pass the other team off the park and have a good chance of scoring at least 3..

Stoke, despite being 8th or so, have a negative GD of -9.. They lose comfortably and win scrappy.. I don't aspire to be like that.

As for the original question..

I'd rather stay in the NPC, year on year losing every playoff game if we played how we did under George Burley.. I'd rather do this year on year than get promoted using a style like Billy Davies' and staying up playing like Bolton, Blackburn, Stoke etc.

Incredible - although by your own admission (from a previous post) you're a football fan first, Derby fan second, right?

Archived