Holding on

Asanovic

Bris Vegas has mentioned on this forum several times that we don't score enough, or even try to, when chasing the game with a few minutes to go. But I'd just like to say I'm pretty impressed with our record of holding on to slender leads, specially late on in games.

Against Birmingham, Watford, Blackpool, forest, Leeds, West Ham and now Hull, we've defended superbly and held on to leads. We also did well at home to Southampton to get a point, when they were probably the team to have visited Pride Park this season.

Peterborough aside, we seem to have more balls about us than in previous seasons, which is pleasing.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest I don't care when we score goals in a game the old saying to win a game you need to score more than the other team.

Therefore agree holding out for a win or draw is impressive and something last year we could not do. It is a 90 minute game plus anything aroung 4-8 minutes in total added time in first/second half combined.

We played really well against Leeds and WHU and defended really well. Against Hull who have won three on the bounce at home before us and ground out a result.

Nothing wrong with this and the emphasis on the last 15 minutes of the game is beyond me if we are drawing or winning games.

To be honest I don't care when we score goals in a game the old saying to win a game you need to score more than the other team.

Therefore agree holding out for a win or draw is impressive and something last year we could not do. It is a 90 minute game plus anything aroung 4-8 minutes in total added time in first/second half combined.

We played really well against Leeds and WHU and defended really well. Against Hull who have won three on the bounce at home before us and ground out a result.

Nothing wrong with this and the emphasis on the last 15 minutes of the game is beyond me if we are drawing or winning games.

The emphasis on the last few minutes is because the other team will be getting desperate and taking risks pushing forward. Also they are likely to have made tactical changes and substitutions in an attempt to go all out for an equaliser/ winner. Likewise, we are likely to have made tactical/ substitute changes to hold on which will reduce our attacking impetus hence more pressure being put on defence. Therefore the last minutes are vital

The emphasis on the last few minutes is because the other team will be getting desperate and taking risks pushing forward. Also they are likely to have made tactical changes and substitutions in an attempt to go all out for an equaliser/ winner. Likewise, we are likely to have made tactical/ substitute changes to hold on which will reduce our attacking impetus hence more pressure being put on defence. Therefore the last minutes are vital

For Barker and co...

And probably Buxton/ OB when fit and brought off the bench-Theo as the outlet is important too. We need to defend as a team all game but especially when we are hanging on and having someone pacy and willing to chase the ball down helps keep it out of our area. The whole team are needed to shut out the opposition.

Archived