Glory Glory ianm's Manure

ianm

well I do like Nigel and I'm not angry with him.

I like anyone who so clearly has a passion for my club and wants us to do well and puts so much effort into trying to make us better. There aren't too many managers who would make their way to Barnet on a midweek evening (with all of his management team) to watch the under 18s in a cup match they were supposed to lose. And by all accounts this is what he has being doing since he came. And this is but one example of his comittment to building the club from the bottom.

Of course he makes mistakes. Which of us doesn't? Of course he would like us to be better. Which of us doesn't want that?

But he is limited in what he can do not least by circumstances and the current football world.

Today it is reported that Manure are interested in paying £29m for some unknown Argentinian. £29m! How much is your mortgage? What would the repayments be on that figure? What are the chances of our club ever being able to pay out that amount on a single player never mind the team. Even Robbie Savage's £100m wouldn't go very far. And with such figures go wages to match.

And it's no use saying that our owners are all multi-millionnaires - they may well be. Or they may not be. Whatever. They don't want to build the club that way. They want to build us slowly however frustrating that may be to us or to Nigel. That's why they hired Nigel, because that is what he did with Burton. And why they haven't sacked him on several occasions over the last couple of seasons when they have had plenty of opportunity to do so.

So we will wheel and deal; we will develop and play 15 year olds; we will try to find youngsters from lower league clubs; some will work and some will not and Nigel will make mistakes along the way. We may buy the occasional experienced player (just like Nigel wanted to earlier this season); we will take some financial risks - just like we are doing now with our wages over budget. But we won't completely overstretch the club financially.

And given the financial state of play of a number of clubs, including our own over the years; given the new financial rules coming in; given the complete and utter financial mess that Billy and Paul Jewell (yes, and by extension, the board) left us in when we were last in the Premier League, I for one am happier with a more cautious approach. And Nigel has had to sort that mess out.

I like seeing us develop our academy players and I know that eventually that some will move on, like as not; Some won't make it as big as their early promise (just like Steve Powell didn't); I like ball players like James Bailey and the effort of Bryson, the pace and enthusiasm of Jamie Ward or Theo, the effort and committment of Shackell and Barker, the skill of Brayford. I like knowing that we are in a better place than we were three and four years ago, that we are, slowly, moving forward.

As it happens i hate the Premier league, and the Champions league and players on squillions a year for kicking a ball around. I hate the lack of UK players in the PL and whole teams with no English players in them; I hate the fact that only 4 teams have won the PL and a generation are growing up believing that all the nonsense is what always happened. I hate sitting and not standing and the diminution of the FA cup. I hate the fact that my son will probably never see us win the foremost league in the country (twice) or get to the semi-final of a proper European competition (and be cheated out of the final) as I did. And I don't want him to see us in the High Court or the third division for two seasons, as I have done.

But Nigel I like. His voice might be dull on television, but that's not the worse sin in the world. Be careful about wishing him away (though he will go one day); be careful about wishing the board away (and they will go one day too). Their successors are not necessarily better. We, above all, should know that from our history.

Manure who are they? Show some respect its either United or Manchester United, it diminishes the impact of the rest of your post when you include childish names for other clubs (even Forest).

I understand the main points in the post but the club is not building slowly it is declining slowly. Despite the cost-cutting money is still been lost and we are nowhere near the best placed club as regards this FFP as many are led to believe on here. Leeds for example are already in profit.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manure who are they? Show some respect its either United or Manchester United, it diminishes the impact of the rest of your post when you include childish names for other clubs (even Forest).

Wrong, that could be Newcastle United, Leeds United, Peterborough United, West Ham United, Carlisle United, Colchester United, Hartlepool United, Ssausagehorpe United, Sheffield United, Hereford United, Oxford United, Torquay United & many non league teams.

is ianm responsible for putting the Manchester United adverts on this forum?

I think he is a closet Manure fan.......sorry Manchester united fan, maybe because you would never see their tickets on Groupon

Wrong, that could be Newcastle United, Leeds United, Peterborough United, West Ham United, Carlisle United, Colchester United, Hartlepool United, Ssausagehorpe United, Sheffield United, Hereford United, Oxford United, Torquay United & many non league teams.

As the saying goes there is only one United.

I understand the main points in the post but the club is not building slowly it is declining slowly. Despite the cost-cutting money is still been lost and we are nowhere near the best placed club as regards this FFP as many are led to believe on here. Leeds for example are already in profit.

Show some respect for Manure? On a Derby County forum? Behave yersen. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Altogether now United....****

United...****

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Archived