2011 BBC Sports Personality of the Year

CumbrianRam

How is it tough to stand fielding? Or lifting your arms up to catch? Or throwing a ball over your head? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> Behave.

As for drugs, they have no place in any sport but I doubt if Cavendish had been found guilty of any wrong doing, the Beeb wouldn't have given him the gong. Has anybody got any concrete proof of Cavendish being guilty of this?

That post there just sums up how little you know, catching a ball smashed up in the air on the boundary or bowling at 80mph + takes incredible skill.

Not denying that cycling is physically very difficult that's all there is to it, there's no great skill to cycling, just hard work.

I appreciate sports/games that require a high amount of skill, golf followed by snooker are the two most difficult sports in my opinion so i've got a lot of admiration for those players.

Luke Donald should have been ahead of Darren Clarke, to top the European and USA tour money list is an incredible achievement.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That post there just sums up how little you know, catching a ball smashed up in the air on the boundary or bowling at 80mph + takes incredible skill.

Not denying that cycling is physically very difficult that's all there is to it, there's no great skill to cycling, just hard work.

I appreciate sports/games that require a high amount of skill, golf followed by snooker are the two most difficult sports in my opinion so i've got a lot of admiration for those players.

Luke Donald should have been ahead of Darren Clarke, to top the European and USA tour money list is an incredible achievement.

I agree with you on the Snooker not the Golf there must be100 players maybe more capable of winning these events and the whole thing is a lottery when a 61 year old with a false hip or an overweight unfit looking 42 year old can win a major event.

I agree with you on the Snooker not the Golf there must be100 players maybe more capable of winning these events and the whole thing is a lottery when a 61 year old with a false hip or an overweight unfit looking 42 year old can win a major event.

Most difficult game there is imo, so what if all the top players are of similar ability, that ability is extraordinary. Dont see what being unfit and overweight has got to do with it, the aim of the game is to hit a ball, not run around.

Most difficult game there is imo, so what if all the top players are of similar ability, that ability is extraordinary. Dont see what being unfit and overweight has got to do with it, the aim of the game is to hit a ball, not run around.

That ability is not extra ordinary if so many are of that ability, Golf is a game people tend to take up when they don't have aptitude for the real sports or get too old for them. Nothing against that but no way is it close to being the most difficult sport.

The physical state of some competitors puts it on a level with Darts in the physical demands needed to compete.

That ability is not extra ordinary if so many are of that ability, Golf is a game people tend to take up when they don't have aptitude for the real sports or get too old for them. Nothing against that but no way is it close to being the most difficult sport.

The physical state of some competitors puts it on a level with Darts in the physical demands needed to compete.

If you play golf regularly like I do you will understand how difficult it is. Agree with you with on the other points you make though. IMO cycling is not a sport, its a hobby alhough i do respect what Mark Cavendish has achieved.

If you play golf regularly like I do you will understand how difficult it is. Agree with you with on the other points you make though. IMO cycling is not a sport, its a hobby alhough i do respect what Mark Cavendish has achieved.

I used to play a lot of golf and frustrating rather than difficult is how I would describe it, Snooker is extremely difficult that is the hardest I have tried to get to a decent standard.

Considering how small the ball is, how small the hole is and how far you've got to hit it i cant think of a more skillful sport. Physical demands has got nothing to do with it, everyone knows you dont need to be in great phyiscal condition to be good at golf, putting it down as a sport based on that is a different argument altogether.

The fact that golf is such a widely played sport with facilities available to anyone in a lot of countries and physical condition playing very little part in participation it adds weight to the difficulty of the sport. A lot of people play golf and to be a pro, you need to be exceptionally good.

Totally agree with Ian and EKR.

Cycling is just about endurance and good leg muscles - anyone with a bit of willpower and the time to do so could make it to a decent level.

No amount of coaching is ever going to make me good enough to play at even tier 8 or 9 in English football, or even make it at a minor counties standard of cricket, or make me be able to get a 147 break in snooker, or make par at St Andrews.

Cycling/swimming/running are sports, but their don't require much skill do they?

I know all I want to know about cricket - alright, bowling takes strength aswell as skill, but fielding isn't constant is it? It's not relentless like cycling is. You could stand for 10 minutes fielding with nowt to do except a jig to keep warm. That's the point I'm making, with cycling you don't stop.

That's why to me it's more of a sport than cricket.

I know all I want to know about cricket - alright, bowling takes strength aswell as skill, but fielding isn't constant is it? It's not relentless like cycling is. You could stand for 10 minutes fielding with nowt to do except a jig to keep warm. That's the point I'm making, with cycling you don't stop.

The vote for me was about inspiration. Sport is about challenge, skill and endurance. The Tour is incredible. As well as being the fastest cyclist on the planet you also have to do D'Huez and the Tourmalet - in llckity split time that most of us couldn't do with a car. And to do that from that world renowned hotbed of sport, the Isle of Man. Not sure what a superstar is, but guys like Cav and Lance Armstrong. Well, inspirational. Not just fit beyond belief. Got the age old Marin out of the garage today.

If you rate sports on how 'relentless' they are then you must rate cycling, running and swimming as the top sports.

Cycling has been at the fore front of drug detection/testing and the only reason its considered a bad sport is because they ( the cylists) keep getting caught...

If you have to see some of the stages these riders ride along for 3 weeks with only 2 rest days then i think you'll rethink your comments.

Mark Cavendish is a very worthy winner ...

Cycling has been at the fore front of drug detection/testing and the only reason its considered a bad sport is because they ( the cylists) keep getting caught...

If you have to see some of the stages these riders ride along for 3 weeks with only 2 rest days then i think you'll rethink your comments.

Mark Cavendish is a very worthy winner ...

I wont, not denying the impressiveness of the endurance, stamina and determination involved but that's all it is, just a lot of hard work.

It's a tough one, all sports are different, I've done endurance events and also played snooker to a high level, imo each as difficult, I suppose that sports like snooker are more difficult in that i know loads of people capable of running a fast marathon but few capable of making a hundred break, anyhow well done Mark Cavendish...one of the fittest men on the planet.

It's a tough one, all sports are different, I've done endurance events and also played snooker to a high level, imo each as difficult, I suppose that sports like snooker are more difficult in that i know loads of people capable of running a fast marathon but few capable of making a hundred break, anyhow well done Mark Cavendish...one of the fittest men on the planet.

x,Well said, as ever. More than a little tactically aware too. Kind of interesting that football was pretty much on a back burner. Was this ths Sky effect ? Or that 'victory' in sport in the UK is being seen as successful individuals, with football teams just seen as visiting high earners from afar ?

I think the issue is between team games and individual events.

Cycling of course, can be a team event, but only like the 4 x 100m or 400m in athletics.

Darts, snooker, golf are all basically individual contests.

Footie is always 11 v 11. There is no individual contest as such. The emphasis is on the team result not on individuals. If Manure lost 5-4 to Man City and Rooney scored 3 while Barry scored 1, who would be happier?

WTF am i talking about? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

I think the issue is between team games and individual events.

Cycling of course, can be a team event, but only like the 4 x 100m or 400m in athletics.

Darts, snooker, golf are all basically individual contests.

Footie is always 11 v 11. There is no individual contest as such. The emphasis is on the team result not on individuals. If Manure lost 5-4 to Man City and Rooney scored 3 while Barry scored 1, who would be happier?

WTF am i talking about? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

Whatever happened to the "Drunk thread?" 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Archived