Are pro footballers mardy bastards?

uttoxram75

The son-in-law is a Stoke fan. His seat is just behind the dug outs at the cold, windy, house on a hill that is the Britannia Stadium.

At saturdays match Stoke beat Blackburn 3-1 in what my son-in-law says was a dire game that was mostly played in the clouds.

The point of the post though is the attitude of highly paid professional footballers.

Jermaine Pennant was taken off, as he walked toward the bench he shook his head, slumped his shoulders and refused the outstretched hand of his manager, Tony Pulis. He angrily snatched the offered coat from one of the back room staff and brushed aside a bottle of water, sending it flying.

Pulis went up to him and gave him the hairdryer.

Peter Crouch was substituted as well. He jogged straight to Pulis, shook his hand, received a pat on his back and a few words of encouragement. Crouch shook hands with all the back room staff, took his coat and water with grace and thanks all round.

In my old, cynical opinion Pennant should be sacked immediately and banned from signing for any other club for 10 years. The bloke is on £35k per week yet publically snubs his boss.

Although two metre Peter is not my favourite player, he has gone up in my estimation for his (public at least) attitude.

Guess which one is more popular with the Stokies?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They think they're the dog's ****** do footballers. This sort of bullsht never happened in the glory days of the 70's and 80's players not shaking managers hands, walking straight down the tunnel, refusing to play. Just trying to make the headlines, thats all they're doing. Wank3rs

A lot of footballers these days are over hyped and over paid and JW is right - back in the day it would have been regarded as the height of disrepect to snub the gaffer. Footballers then were first and foremost gentlemen. There's not many of them about now, it's all about money a lot of the time.

It was in today's paper that he's been cruising around the shanty towns of Stoke on Trent in his Aston going nowhere in particular. I believe this is called showing off? Obviously this has boiled Stokie's piss...

To be honest their quite right, why should he flash his cash in one of if not the most run down, poorest cities in England, whilst playing w*nk and throwing tantrums in the only thing that keeps them happy.

Get back in your cell...

"Footballers" - they're just human beings, they're not a sub-species. We'd act just the same in those conditions.

They're paid that much because we sub-consciously think they're worth it. We buy the tickets, the club shirts, the Sky Sports subscription fees. We all fund it.

We hand absolutely everything on a plate to uneducated young men. Chances are they're already missing lessons in the name of football in the middle of their teen years. They won't know what living is.

Some footballers turn out alright but it's incredibly difficult to earn that sort of money at that age for doing so little and be a balanced person. Unless we're suggesting that a talent in football automatically means you're a n0bhead, it's just the human condition.

All the footballers in the past we talk about being gentlemen - if they were born at the same time as this generation, they'd act like proffesional footballers do now.

"Footballers" - they're just human beings, they're not a sub-species. We'd act just the same in those conditions.

They're paid that much because we sub-consciously think they're worth it. We buy the tickets, the club shirts, the Sky Sports subscription fees. We all fund it.

We hand absolutely everything on a plate to uneducated young men. Chances are they're already missing lessons in the name of football in the middle of their teen years. They won't know what living is.

Some footballers turn out alright but it's incredibly difficult to earn that sort of money at that age for doing so little and be a balanced person. Unless we're suggesting that a talent in football automatically means you're a n0bhead, it's just the human condition.

All the footballers in the past we talk about being gentlemen - if they were born at the same time as this generation, they'd act like proffesional footballers do now.

No,no,no......you're missing the point.

When at work, if I don't agree with something my boss has done or said I can't throw a hissy fit on the shop floor in front of everyone. I would be disciplined.

When people are talking and saying 'oh, it wasn't like this in the 70's and 80's.' I'm pretty sure there was some players like that back then. Personally I think people who look up too footballers as role models are stupid, they're not they're to be role models they're there because they have a talent.

Sticking with Stoke City and player attitudes in modern football.

Jermaine Pennant does the above and acts like a div in the town that he plays for.

Peter Crouch and his missus laughed at the thought of living in Stoke in an interview, but he remains professional and polite whenever he plays.

Mamady Sidibe lives in the middle of Tunstall, walks round town with a smile on his face and is worshipped by Stokie's everywhere. He will more than likely never play for Stoke again, but I bet that the two above don't score as many as him in their time with the club.

I know which one I would rather at Derby.

Some players are decent blokes. A lot get pidgeon holed.

It's suprising sometimes what some people are like. Dean Moxey was once busy road raging a learner driver, thought he seemed a nice lad on the pitch, but only a complete tit rages a learner driver.

I always imagined Van Nistelrooy to be a dong, but didn't he used to have a drink with Man United fans? Also i remember United players all being given Audi TT's "lovely" Ryan Giggs declined one, Van Nistelrooy gave his to a charity. One of them at least had the brains to sell it... Might of been O'Shea or Brown? But it was hardly a thoughtful move by the then model proffesional Giggs

You can't tar them with the same brush.

Pennant needs to grow up. I remember him and Ashley Cole were on a programme once. Was just like a 'fly on the wall' documentary years ago. They were both young up and coming players and they were being trained in interview techniques. Pennant was horrible. Arrogant and lazy and entirely unproffesional. Cole did everthing he was asked and didn't seem to think he was owed a living

Yet it's Ashley Cole who's hated. A lot of people hate him for being a rich young man sleeping with owt that moves. lol. Sounds terrible. Oh, and cheating on Cheryl...... the "racist" come "national treasure and Saint". The only real thing Cole did was the whole transfer from Arsenal and the way he went about it. Bet he's not half as bad as some of the "model proffesionals".

Archived